Get it now or later?

1BDNANA

I booked my trip in Nov.2009. I just got done booking my hotel and air. The insurance co. say I can book up to 24hrs before trip or when I make the final payment on the cruise in July. So do I book it now or later? Will the price be higher or lower if I book it now or wait?As of now the amount I am looking at is around $210.

I booked my trip in Nov.2009. I just got done booking my hotel and air. The insurance co. say I can book up to 24hrs before trip or when I make the final payment on the cruise in July. So do I book it now or later? Will the price be higher or lower if I book it now or wait?As of now the amount I am looking at is around $210.
It depends on whether or not you want cancellation protection. If you do, buy it before final payment and when your lookback period is clean or waived. (That depends on the policy you are looking at). Price should not change unless the amount covered changes.

It all depends on that plan you're looking at. For example, with one of the CSA plans the cost of the premium does go down the closer your purchase date is to your departure date.

Also, with the CSA plans they will cover any pre-existing medical conditions if you purchase your policy no later than the day you make the final payment on the cruise.

But they're the exception. With every other third-party plan I can think of the premiums are the same no matter when you buy the policy -- one year or one day before your departure you'll pay the same. And these plan will only cover pre-existing conditions if you buy the policy shortly after making the first payment on your trip -- anywhere from 7 to 21 days is the norm. So if you're looking at one of these plans and are concerned about a pre-existing medical condition (either for someone in your traveling party and with some plans even family members not traveling with you) then don't miss that deadline.

Don't worry if you haven't nailed down your actual travel dates -- those can always be changed once you've finalized your trip arrangements. Same with the trip cost you're insuring -- if you haven't bought air tickets yet that cost can always be added on once you've paid for the tickets (just be sure to add them to the policy within that 7 - 21 day window to keep your pre-existing condition waiver alive).

Oops, I just re-read your original post and see that you're already past the time frame to get covered for pre-existing medical conditions by most plans (except for CSA). Sorry!

Oops, I just re-read your original post and see that you're already past the time frame to get covered for pre-existing medical conditions by most plans (except for CSA). Sorry!

Iss ok...Thanks for all of the info. I think I will get it this weekend.

Archived