Rental Car Collision/Damage Coverage?

redtinarn

Anybody ever purchased this through your travel insurance policy, or is it better to purchase through the rental car company? Which is usually cheaper? I'm looking at a policy that only charges $49 extra for the coverage with my travel insurance.

Your own auto insurance will almost always offer this with your policy at no charge.

I'd just give them a call and find out, and if they do, then decline the coverages from the rental companies, they're usually rip-offs

as far as cost, it really depends on how the policy is set up.for example, travel guard has it as an add-on for $9/day which will usually be less than the rental car agency. with one of the travelex plans it's a $49 add-on but that's a flat rate for trips up to 30 days in length. so if you'll be renting a car for 6+ days the travelex plan becomes the better deal.

for myself, i get this coverage at no additional charge if i rent the car using my american express card. check all of your credit cards to see if one has the same set up.

for myself, i get this coverage at no additional charge if i rent the car using my american express card. check all of your credit cards to see if one has the same set up.

Thanks, I didn't know that credit cards did that! I'll have to call my company and ask!

Archived