Would you find 7 days in a row at sea too much?

suse

Clearly it all comes down to personality and personal preference. But we are firmly in the 'sea days' camp.

Have done three trans-Atlantics (one Silversea and two Seabourn), with as much as 10 straight days at sea (in a 12-day sail) and loved, loved, loved it! (One of the greatest pieces of luck that has visited us is that spouse and I are almost unanimously alike in our travel preferences.)

I guess from all of these postings, it depends on what you like and require. We just booked a TA for next March. I know I can deal with the days at sea, and suspect that DW can as well, as she can sit by the pool from dawn until dusk. Will she enjoy the three days straight -- film at 11, as they say.

Although I answered as if the OP had asked about 7 consecutive sea days, the question simply said 7 sea days. Didn't specify if they were in a row or not.

We've had cruises that alternated sea days and ports with a total of more than 7 sea days that weren't consecutive, but we've also had ta crossings with 8 sea days in a row.

I think you're right that the OP meant in a row even though that wasn't stated in the question.

seven in a row. sorry about that. I must be day dreaming or something.:)

That is something I have perfected.

Funny. I'm a big reader and don't need a whole lot to entertain me. Honest, life is entertaining enough.

He's so funny too. He told me to go it alone. Hm. He thinks anything past 7 days is way too much. I think it's too short. Told him all my friends travel alone. That doesn't thrill him. I'll let you know. It's hard being a trophy wife.;)

My husband does not like sea days but I sure do. Our solution is that he meets up on a segment or as on our upcoming Grand Med and Black Sea, meets me in Barcelona. In the end we both get what we want. HAL had to give him special permission since that is not a segment port.

That is far too many sea days for me. It has nothing to do with boredom; there is always something to do onboard ship. It's just that my feet get itchy to get off and see something else. I have never done a trans-at for that reason.

The longest amount of sea days I have done was four - but that wasn't the planned itinerary. I was on a Carribbean itinerary and we ran into a rogue tropical storm (it was late in the season) and missed two ports. For a 36 hour period it was really rough.

That being said, If I could be guaranteed that we would have calm seas for seven days I'd be happy to do a transatlantic. Can't imagine anything more relaxing.

Another thing to consider is where the sea days are in the itinerary. On the westbound the cruise starts fast with 7 or 8 port intensive days and finishes with days at sea. Some find the slow finish as time to relax before rejoining the real world. Conversely, the east bound has a lazy start of 6 to 8 sea days and a fast finish of port intensive activity. Some find that the rest between work and tours is desireable.

The east bound cruise usually is a more southerly route because of the Gulf stream. My Oosterdam crossing in October was very smooth and warm and was like so many days at the beach. The east bound travels a more northerly route and might have more weather issues. I will be on the Eurodam TA next month and will be able to compare. Weather has a large effect on the possibility of boredom in my estimation.

We are taking our first trans-Atlantic cruise next month. Counting the day we depart FLL, we will have 6 consecutive sea days before porting in the Azores. After that, the cruise gets fairly port-intensive.

We both LOVE sea days, but this will be our first cruise with that many in a row. We plan to spend the time relaxing, visiting with friends, reading, participating in on-board activites, napping and just enjoying life on board. Will it be too many for us - don't know yet, but will check back in when we return.

For us, any day at sea beats a day working in the yard at home!! :D

I just love sea days.

My Granny took me on my first cruise (on a container ship) from San Francisco to Suva, Fiji. That was a LONG time at sea, without entertainment crew and not many activities other than deck golf and quoits. (It carried two double cabins and 2 single cabins). I was just out of junior high school and so yes, I got bored once or twice but still loved it! (Especially the day I got to go on the Bridge and actually steer the ship, I wish someone had taken a picture of the zig-zag wake I was making!)

Mom and I did the QM2 TA a few years back and it was almost sad I couldn't fit in all the things I wanted to do on board. There were so many offerings! It was almost exhausting trying to get everything in. So, in that light, I don't think multiple days at sea is any hardship at all. In fact, I think everyday in a different port is more like being on a bus tour except you don't have to pack every after every city. :)

We did 14 day transatlantic took 5 days to get over and then alternated port days with a couple more sea days. It felt like two separate vacations first the rest and relax part and then the go go run run part. I thought it was a perfect way to do it- we unwound from our busy lives and then we had lots of energy to make the most of Portugal,Spain and Italy.

Would do 8 sea days in a second- I don't think we have spent that much relaxed time together since that cruise!

Totally agree with Himself. The most sea days we have had in a row coming back from Hawaii was 5, we didn't mind at all.

With all those drink things in your signature, I can see why you would totally agree! Happy Hour and all that razzmatazz shish boom bah.........

drum roll!:)

Oh, gosh. I just LOVE sea days.

I wanted to take my D and SIL on the 15 day round trip to Hawaii. My SIL was really worried because of the sea days..............thought he'd be bored. Was he ever shocked with all the activities and how BUSY he was.

What I DON'T like is port, port, port several days in a row (as in our 14 day Caribbean one).getting up early, getting off the ship..........run, run, run.

Guess a person needs to try different things to know what feels best; you just can't KNOW until you try it.;)

Archived