Super Saver Insurance Policies

kimscruisin

I purchased the super saver rate for travel insurance. We are traveling Eastern Caribbean, Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin. The company provides excellent medical evacuation ($1,000,000)--primary, and weather, etc. Do you think the $10,000 medical expense is adequate? Being so close to Miami, didn't think coverage needed to exceed this amount. We were mostly concerned with med evac, and hurricane policies. Driving to the port. Any suggestions?

I purchased the super saver rate for travel insurance. We are traveling Eastern Caribbean, Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin. The company provides excellent medical evacuation ($1,000,000)--primary, and weather, etc. Do you think the $10,000 medical expense is adequate? Being so close to Miami, didn't think coverage needed to exceed this amount. We were mostly concerned with med evac, and hurricane policies. Driving to the port. Any suggestions?

i'm not seeing what proximity has to do with anything. say you're on some island and are in an accident or have some critical illness that's serious enough that they CAN'T transport you to a stateside hospital. if they had to operate right away to save your life you may be there days before they can transport you. $10,000, if that's your only source for payment, that's not enough. If your regular insurance covers you outside the US you're probably OK.

Medical evacuation will only work if the treating physician or hospital agrees to release the patient. Call me a cynic, but I suspect that a cash-strapped medical facility would be tempted to hold onto a paying customer as long as possible, particularly if the patient is vulnerable or unable to speak for himself.

Having a good insurance company watching your back and dealing directly with the hospital (as opposed to having the patient pay up front and plead for compensation after the fact) is worth its weight in gold.

Archived