AA-pay ahead at checkin for luggage or at the airport?

cruisegal40

Have not flown for a couple of years. We are leaving from Logan Airport. I read on AA website that we can pre-checkin and pay the luggage fee or pay it at check in at the airport.

What are your opinions of the pros and cons of each?

thanks in advance.

Have not flown for a couple of years. We are leaving from Logan Airport. I read on AA website that we can pre-checkin and pay the luggage fee or pay it at check in at the airport.

thanks in advance.

You save a little money by using WEB checkin and prepaying luggage fees.

thanks in advance.

If you know how much checked luggage you will have, it saves you a bit to check luggage in online. There is no con to this at all. ;)

thanks in advance.

Some airlines do offer the opportunity to prepay checked bag fees ... they offer a discount for doing so or you pay an upcharge for paying the fees at the airport, depending on how you view it.

American Airlines, as best I know, does not offer a discount, nor is there an opportunity, to prepay the checked bag fees.

Following is from American's announcement of the checked bag fee increase put into effect February 1 of this year: Customers may pay checked bag charges at an airport Self-Service Check-In machine, Curbside Check-In, or at the airport ticket counter.

And this is from AA's website regarding website checkin: If you use Flight Check-In to print your boarding passes and would also like to check bags when you get to the airport, you can use the Self Service Check-In machines by selecting the "Check Bags Only" option, or Curbside Check-In.

No mention of paying the checked bag fee when you do website flight checkin.

Online check-in on AA opens up 23 hours and 59 minutes prior to your flight's scheduled departure.

You can print out your boarding passes if you have assigned seats and a printer.

I often check-in from my iPhone and pick up my boarding pass when I self-check my bag. I use the credit card that I charged the tickets on at the self-check in machine. Really easy to do as you swipe it and your name(s) and ticket info pops up on the screen. You indicate how many bags you have at that point if you haven't done so earlier on.

If you pre-pay for your checked luggage online, how do they know what the weight of the suitcases are? Is the cost the same? You would still have to check your bags unless you checked them curbside, so you really wouldn't save much time. I wonder sometimes how efficient curbside checking is. I think I would rather check my bags myself so I am sure that they get checked in, and put on the plane.

If you pre-pay for your checked luggage online, how do they know what the weight of the suitcases are? Is the cost the same? You would still have to check your bags unless you checked them curbside, so you really wouldn't save much time. I wonder sometimes how efficient curbside checking is. I think I would rather check my bags myself so I am sure that they get checked in, and put on the plane.

American Airlines does not give you the option to prepay.

On the airlines that do allow you to prepay, some do give a discount for prepaying. You still have to have your bags weighed at the airport though and if they are overweight you either have to remove stuff from the bags or pay the excess charges then and there.

I know you tip for curbside service. What I meant about the bags was that I would probably check the bags in at the counter myself rather than doing curbside service. That way I would be SURE they were taken care of and got on the plane.

I know you tip for curbside service. What I meant about the bags was that I would probably check the bags in at the counter myself rather than doing curbside service. That way I would be SURE they were taken care of and got on the plane.

No guarantees using that method. I have had bags checked at the counter that were not on the same plane I was on.

Main benefit of curbside checkin - if the line at the counter is really long, you pay a small tip (and sometimes a small fee) and check the bag curbside to avoid the longer line at the counter.

Archived