Just walk around Juneau or Skagway?

mjroseville

Are either of these cities/towns best explored on foot? We're taking an excursion in Ketchikan, but we're on a tight budget and I'm wondering if we can just walk around and still have fun in either of the other two ports (good shopping areas near the dock, etc.). We've never been to Alaska, so I don't have a clue what to expect when we get to any of the ports.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

i wish i know what you were doing in Juneau. I feel in Skagway many people take the train/bus to the boarder or just beyond and come back this might be the place to spend that money.

in Ketchikan you walk to creek street, take the ride up the hill for the views and then walk down hill and walk some more. duck ride might be affordable.

Juneau can you do the bus to mendenhall or the tram?

budgets are great but i like to know if spending $50 for 2 on transportation is too much.. both towns to me have more to do than Skagway.. i am talking in town vs sighseeing out of town.

tell us and we can give you better ideas.

For some good low cost ideas have a look at this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1016318&highlight=roof

Skagway has a national parks service office that provides no-charge hiking maps and info. Skagway itself is pretty flat, easy to walk -- we went to the Goldrush Cemetery. Easy, easy walk, about 4 miles roundtrip, I think. There are more ambitious hikes there too. There are only a few locally-owned shops in Skagway, but those are worth exploring. Skagway is a funky little town (once you are away from the main street jewelry and t-shirt shops). Very few permanent residents -- if you get a chance to talk with them, it is WELL worth your while :)

Juneau is flat right at the dock, there are the requisite t-shirt, diamond, and souvenir shops there. Consider the bus to Mendenhall Glacier, or (if the sky is clear) the Mt. Roberts tram.

I spent ZERO on shorex last year in Alaska (my 5th trip there) and still had a great time. Am trying to figure out how to afford another budget trip this year!

In Skagway, an easy walk to Yakutania Point (get map at NPS office) is fun to do. The route goes past the airport and on a pedestrian bridge over Skagway River. We have enjoyed walking down Broadway to the "Days of '98 Show" theater. Admission is cheaper than doing a ship's tour and they repeat shows during the day. It's a vaudeville type of show that gives a little of Skagway's history.

In Ketchikan, stop at the visitor's center for a walking map. Go up the funicular to Cape Fox Lodge, walk down the Married Man's Trail to Creek Street, then follow the trail up the creek and on to the hatchery, park and Totem Pole Museum. Don't ignore the Discovery Center. If you have a Golden Age National Park Pass, admission is free. Or you can, if old enough, buy a pass for $10 that will admit 4 people. Nice center, good videos and good gift shop.

I haven't been to Skagway, so I can't help out there.

I've been to Juneau twice, and the only thing we ever spent money on was the Mt. Roberts Tramway (I think it is currently running $27 a person this cruising season). Don't pre-purchase these tickets though because it's best to make sure you're in Juneau on a clear enough day to see anything from the top. Also, my husband and I are big history buffs. We walked the very short distance to the state capitol building where they offer free tours (every 15 or 30 minutes, this was during the week). A street over from the capitol, we visited the Alaska State Museum (sorry if that's not the actual name). I think this cost $5 or $10/person and was beautiful and very informative.

Jill

Oops, didn't get that you were talking about Juneau, not Ketchikan. My favorite in Juneau is taking the special buses to Mendenhall Glacier, and then if weather cooperates, walking out to near the waterfall on the right. The bus is about $14 roundtrip. Mt. Roberts tram is not too expensive if you can take advantage of the walking trails on top and see the film and other displays. If weather is no cooperating, better not to go.

Our plans in Juneau are: Take the early "Blue Bus Express" to Mendenhall, $14.00 r/t per person. I understand it is a 30 minute drive each way. Spend couple of hours there, visit the Visitor Center, etc. Get back into Juneau for lunch and then take the 1:30 p.m. guided walking tour, $10.00 per person. Tour starts at the Juneau-Douglas City Museum and ends at the bear statue. The tour lasts 1 hour and the price includes admission to the Capitol. Should finish up around 2:30 p.m. and have time to shop, walk around and see sights we may not have seen on the walking tour, etc. For three of us I estimate the cost for the day to be $72.00, not including meals.

The Alaska State Museum in Juneau is excellent and, as previously posted, either $5 or $10. You can walk around downtown Juneau with ease. Head up the hill and you can take a free tour of the state capital building and see the Governor's mansion (yes, Sarah once lived there) but it's not open to the public.

If you go to http://www.juneau.org and the parks and rec site, they do offer a $10.00 walking tour as well.

Walking in Juneau is fun since the streets are very narrow and cling to the side of the mountain. Good place to people watch too!

Here is a great Walking Tour map I found of Skagway. Click on the link for the PDF printable map. It is a very complete walking tour with 4 pages of descriptions plus the map. I already printed mine out and have it in my file. We plan to do at least the mini-tour after our WPYR excursion with Chilkoot.

http://www.skagway.com/walkingtour.html

A question for those who have been there: The map does not show the cruise ship dock itsself, just an arrow to several docks. Do the ships dock at the Broadway Dock or another one?

A question for those who have been there: The map does not show the cruise ship dock itsself, just an arrow to several docks. Do the ships dock at the Broadway Dock or another one?

Ships dock at all 3 docks - Ore, Broadway and Railway.

Thanks! All of these responses help tremendously. It sounds like there are some good low-cost excursions, too, so I'm going to read more into those. Interesting to hear about the walking tour and museum options, so I appreciate the responses.

Many thanks!

OK - I guess I'll just have to wait until I get there to figure out where we'll be then? Thanks.

I found this site that will tell you where the ships are scheduled to dock while in Skagway. Hope this gives you the information you would like. (It''s a PDF).

http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2010/Skagway_2010.pdf

Just going to http://www.claalaska.com will give you information about any port in Alaska.

On our first trip to Alaska, we did not do any excursions. We bought the shopping book on board ($25?) and made up our own treasure hunts in each town. Came home with tons of free stuff and it was fun to explore on our own. You can always find a way to have a good time without spending lots of money. Heck...just find a nice place to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

I found this site that will tell you where the ships are scheduled to dock while in Skagway. Hope this gives you the information you would like. (It''s a PDF).

http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2010/Skagway_2010.pdf

Just going to http://www.claalaska.com will give you information about any port in Alaska.

Yes, I have that site bookmarked. However, it does not tell us what dock each ship will use. We are there with three other ships and we are the last ones on the list. (Carnival Spirit - July 16)

I definitely think you can find interesting things to do in Skagway and Juneau. We loved the White Pass RR excursion we took. We also loved the bus to Mendenhall glacier and Mt Roberts tram. We were quite disappointed in a tour in Ketchikan that we took to the Saxman Village and totems. There was so much more we could have done in Ketchikan, The funicular to Cape Fox Lodge, Creek Street and the Salmon ladder are all things we could have done easily by walking. Do your research and have fun!

Are either of these cities/towns best explored on foot? We're taking an excursion in Ketchikan, but we're on a tight budget and I'm wondering if we can just walk around and still have fun in either of the other two ports (good shopping areas near the dock, etc.). We've never been to Alaska, so I don't have a clue what to expect when we get to any of the ports.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

All of these towns are best explored by foot and I see no need to take a tour if you are on a tight budget. Particularly in Ketchikan. There is much to do for free there. From Creek Street, take the funicular up to the lodge. From there, you can go to the salmon hatchery or follow Married Man's trail back down to town. Past the salmon ladder. Get yourself a good walking map in each town and strike out and enjoy!

Not to worry, you will find PLENTY of shopping near the docks. I thought you were on a tight budget?

Skagway has a very nice free walking tour put on by the Park Service. When you get off the ship, check in at the old railway station where the Park Service is located, and get a time for the tour. We've enjoyed it twice, and seen several different things on the different tours. We've also gone up to the "Days of 98" show. When you get there ahead of the tours, you can get a better seat.

Archived