Cigar Bars

vcgeno

I was just on the NCL Star and as part of the remodeling of the ship they got rid of the cigar bar. I understand peoples feelings about smoking and such but for many of us there is no greater pleasure in life then a good cigar and a glass or port or scotch. If they would create the cigar bar in such a way that it was clearly marked, and was located away from other public areas or had the proper ventilation I don't see the harm in keeping cigar bars. This way those that enjoy a good cigar can and those that don't won't be impacted. How do you feel about this and if enough of us feel this way do you think the cruise lines will listen?

I have no issues with a cigar bar or my husband having the occasional cigar, but on our cruise on RCL last month, we didn't see a lot of people in the cigar club. I'm sure the cruise lines are just trying to maximize space in areas that are used more frequently.

Sorry they removed one of the areas you found most relaxing.

I see no problem at all with having a cigar bar. It is the perfect place to go enjoy a cigar without bothering other people.

RCI's Voyager and Freedom Class ships have the Connoisseur Club. There is no mistaking it as a cigar lounge. They have comfy leather couches and a full-time bartender and host.

I was just on the NCL Star and as part of the remodeling of the ship they got rid of the cigar bar.

Have they started the remodelling already? I had thought it was due to start in November for some reason.

Anything else different?

You are allowed to smoke in your room, and on a balcony if you have one, couldn't you just take your drink with you, as tbh along with the general reduction in cigarette smokers I thought less and less people smoked cigars these days? If it's not busy then any cruiseline would probably do the same and make room for something they can make more money on....:rolleyes:

Have they started the remodelling already? I had thought it was due to start in November for some reason.

Anything else different?

You are allowed to smoke in your room, and on a balcony if you have one, couldn't you just take your drink with you, as tbh along with the general reduction in cigarette smokers I thought less and less people smoked cigars these days? If it's not busy then any cruiseline would probably do the same and make room for something they can make more money on....:rolleyes:

It is just that smoking a cigar is a social activity and that is hard to accomplish on a balcony or on a cold deck.

You can find a summery of the changes at here

It is just that smoking a cigar is a social activity and that is hard to accomplish on a balcony or on a cold deck.

You can find a summery of the changes at here

As an ex smoker I always fed my addiction wherever I could if smoking was restricted, I didn't realise it was different for smoking cigars.

Thanks for the link to the remodelling.:)

As an ex smoker I always fed my addiction wherever I could if smoking was restricted, I didn't realise it was different for smoking cigars.

Thanks for the link to the remodelling.:)

It is different. I don't smoke cigars alone. For me at least it is not an addiction.

Glad you found the info useful. They did the remodeling early because the Star was to be used as a hotel for the Olympics but a month or so before it was to go to Vancouver the company that had leased it canceled. They used the extra dry dock time to catch up on the remodeling.

I enjoy the occasional cigar on the golf course but I can understand why these cigar lounges on ships are not a huge profit center and may be going the way of the dodo bird. I like to smoke my cigar outdoors and don't really want to come out of an enclosed area with my clothes smelling of cigar smoke.

I'm also a social cigar smoker.. I smoke maybe a box a year, most of those while fishing or mowing the yard.. I can see enjoying a nice cigar sitting in an overstuffed leather chair while reading the paper.. But I can also see why it would be removed in favor of something more popular..

I too enjoy a good cigar and a glass of Brandy. or Scotch after dinner on the cruise. I've been on 10 cruises, some had dedicated "Cigar bars" others just a smoking area. I've also see the Cigar rooms taken away. I've read many posts about how "vile those Cigar rooms are". If you don't like the smell STAY AWAY FROM THE ROOM!!! I don't smoke cigarettes (never have, I hate the smell), but I do realize "to each his own". I just stay away from the cigarette smokers because the smoke triggers an allergic reaction. I don't bitch and wish they outlaw the smoking.

WHAT'S THE HARM IN GIVING US CIGAR SMOKERS A SMALL ENCLOSED AREA TO LIGHT UP? I would be OK with a corner room in an out of the way place.

Six or eight chairs and a few tables is all we need. Call it the cigar closet.

• 9 months later...

We just booked a Princess Cruise to Hawaii. One of the deciding factors was the fact that they still have a Cigar bar. Nothing like sitting in an overstuffed leather chair, sipping some scotch or port, with a fine cigar. I'm going to enjoy it until they take it away.

Probably depends on the trip....

I love ending my day in the cigar lounge after my partner goes to sleep (usually around 1030pm...):p

The last couple of trips I've been on have had quite a lot of activity in the lounge....One night, I ended up there until almost 2am talking to a conservative Baptist Minister from Arkansas....:eek:

We had a great time, but we agreed from the start that we were going to disagree on almost everything, so neither one tried to change the other's mind....

Probably depends on the trip....

I love ending my day in the cigar lounge after my partner goes to sleep (usually around 1030pm...):p

The last couple of trips I've been on have had quite a lot of activity in the lounge....One night, I ended up there until almost 2am talking to a conservative Baptist Minister from Arkansas....:eek:

We had a great time, but we agreed from the start that we were going to disagree on almost everything, so neither one tried to change the other's mind....

That is the beauty of cigar bars. It is not about the smoking it is about the conversation you have in the hour or so it takes to finish the cigar. It brings people together. All the zealots are missing out.

I was just on the NCL Star and as part of the remodeling of the ship they got rid of the cigar bar. I understand peoples feelings about smoking and such but for many of us there is no greater pleasure in life then a good cigar and a glass or port or scotch. If they would create the cigar bar in such a way that it was clearly marked, and was located away from other public areas or had the proper ventilation I don't see the harm in keeping cigar bars. This way those that enjoy a good cigar can and those that don't won't be impacted. How do you feel about this and if enough of us feel this way do you think the cruise lines will listen?

The cruse lines do listen and - pay attention.

Passengers vote with their wallets and their feet.

Cigar Bars on all the ships are frequented by so very few passengers that they are considered a waste of space and money.

Many ships have removed them already - and many more are planning to re-use that space for something more profitable.

The cruse lines do listen and - pay attention.

Passengers vote with their wallets and their feet.

Cigar Bars on all the ships are frequented by so very few passengers that they are considered a waste of space and money.

Many ships have removed them already - and many more are planning to re-use that space for something more profitable.

That may be but my wallet has a vote as well. I will enjoy it until they take it away.

• 2 months later...

This is truly sad. I was looking to book on NCL Jewel, and just discovered they no longer have a cigar bar. What a disappointment. I use to really enjoy those nights with a great cigar, and a little time away. I last sailed the Dawn in Oct '09, and there where an interseting number of stories, and characters, and conversations that all happened in the cigar bar. I really hate whats happening with this trend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived