No Room Steward Wanted

LeeKay

I'm pretty sure a plumbing problem would be attended to. How often do you launder your towels at home? Maybe I'm weird, but once a week is enough for our shower towels.

Exactly. And they could come in and empty the trash and bring ice when we are there. Just would prefer that they not come in while we are out.

I think that the room steward would become suspicious if the DND sign was ALWAYS displayed-surely a red flag so I would discuss with him/her AND his/her boss (why get them in trouble unecessarily), BUT having said that I would rethink your plan, what if you are spreading germs throughout the ship because your cabin has not been cleaned (you can be a carrier and have no symptoms :eek:)

I wouldn't want to be discovered as ground zero or patient # 1 in a Noro outbreak-I am sure the ship's Captain would not be amused-just because I didn't want anyone in my room! :eek:

JMHO

Good idea! Also, they are not available 24 hours a day. They will give you their schedule on the first day.

###

Really? I thought I remembered one of our's saying that if a guest called anytime day or night they had to get up and answer them in uniform. I hope you are right because I remember feeling really sorry for him!:(

I don't like maid service in hotels myself, so I understand your point. When DH vacation (other than cruising) I always tell the maid on the first day that all I want is clean towels and trash pickup. There's nothing I am hiding, nor do I really think the maids will steal or go through my things. Its just a privacy thing.

Even on the cruise, I make the bed myself (it takes all of two minutes, if that). I don't need the trash emptied very often, because we don't eat in our room and simply don't generate trash for the most part.

All that being said, on a cruise ship I have no concern over the room steward. The stewards I have had were truly wonderful and would do whatever they could to make my cruise perfect.

Let us know what you decide :)

Rachel

I didn't get the impression that they cleaned the sheets that often. Is it that frequent?

I asked that same question and was told (at least for longer cruises...) that it's every 3rd day....it may be more frequent on 7 day or less cruises though...

Like I said, maybe I'm weird. I guess it's true.

I reuse towels more then once too.

Leaving the do not disturb sign doesn't work, I once left it on the door and the cabin steward cleaned the room anyway. He assumed I forgot to remove the sign which was true so it was okay.

I suppose you COULD do it but. . . . it is unusual. If the issue IS germs, privacy, whatever, I suggest telling your room steward and maybe the Housekeeping manager the first day of your cruise.

The key issue is whether you intend to tip despite the fact the steward isn't servicing your room. If not, you definitely want to tell the Housekeeping manager so he/she can decide whether to rearrange cabins so that your steward is not disadvantaged.

I will say that I've never had a privacy issue. It's like hotels. You should have a safe to safeguard valuables. You have closets and drawers. Stewards typically leave the doors open while they're cleaning so theft shouldn't be an issue. And, anyone walking by won't know you. However, if you have issues, you have issues.

One thing I would mention -- sometimes towels don't fully dry inside the rooms and new towels are nice. Stewards also replace soap, shampoo, kleenex, TT, etc. If you really don't need extras . . . Obviously, your call.

If you are that parinoid.........work out a time schedule for exchanging towels at the door, and maybe move your trash can outside in the evening......and then retrieve it after a short time!

Anything can be worked out with the head of housekeeping!

Have a wonderful cruise!!:D

Rick

Leaving the Do Not Disturb sign out the whole time is not the way to go, someone will eventually call you from Housekeeping if they can't get in to clean.

I agree that it is best to just talk to your room steward in advance to let them know of your preferences. It will then be up to YOU to be in the room at the time they are working to accept the towels and to let them pick up the used ones. You're also going to be missing out on the nightly turndown and the delivery of the next day's Compass...so you may want to ask them to slip that under your door.

Add me to the list of those who don't understand not wanting someone to come in and clean your room :confused: ...but to each their own!

Come on....really?? Having someone else do your housework is part of the fun of a vacation. You pay for this service. Do you really want to pay to do your own housework?? Relax, these folks are proud of the job they do. I love to come back to my room and find it all tiddy.

Wow I can't believe how many people have tried to convince the OP to have their room cleaned. The issue is you don't know what a person has been through in the past. That is their choice whether or not they have their room cleaned. Plus even one week is not that long to go without a cleaning. How many people clean their house more than once a week. The trash can be dumped in a recepticle outside the room.

With that said I think if you want to not have anyone have access to your room arrange that when you first arrive. You need to do it to ne fair to the room attendant and also let management know it isn't due to the actions of the steward. I would try if the cruise is longer than a few days to see if you cannot exchange your towels at the housekeeping desk.

OP just keep your valuables in the safe and your belongings put away.

Use the closet, the drawers and keep your luggage closed. The steward

will not touch your things. On another line the stewards would not

even throw away empty water bottles unless we put them in the trash

can. Don't be paranoid; don't let it ruin your cruise.

Wow I can't believe how many people have tried to convince the OP to have their room cleaned.

Seriously!

Be upfront with your steward about what services you want or don't want, be sure to tip them anyway, and enjoy your cruise! The cleanliness of your room is noone's business but your own, and has absolutely no impact on the spread of viruses.

You may not realize how many people on that ship have a keypass access to your cabin. Not only the cabin steward. The supervisor for your cabin area, maintenance people, probably more. There are people who enter your cabin during the day to check your in cabin refrigerator purchases.

If safety is your issue for not wanting your cabin cleaned, then you will not be any safer by not having your cabin cleaned. Your steward, his/her supervisor, maintenance and more have the keypass access to your cabin.

If you are thinking you don't have to tip if you don't have your cabin cleaned, well then you will have cheated your cabin steward out of his/her tip for the length of your cruise. Someone else could have been assigned that cabin (for even less than you paid) and paid the full tip.

If someone feels okay about cheating another person out of their tips (wages) well then that person better hope there is no such thing as Karma.

A lot of people come on this board to complain, but I can't ever recall someone coming on here and saying that they have had anything taken from their room.

There was the person just the other day who had a can of coke taken from their minibar opened and left on the counter. :(

I kind of agree of how you feel, and I felt the same way at first- but the attendant grew on me a bit, where by the end I didnt look at him as a tip-hungry prowler- i saw him as a guy who works really hard to make sure I had a good vacation...

If you tell him/her that you dont want anyone in room when your not there, and you want them to clean only when someone is present, Im sure they would have no problem with that.

There are many places that sell cheap travel alarms that are motion sensitive and sound an alarm if there is motion and a code is not entered in a specified time. (for instance from a google search http://www.defensechoice.com/motion-detector-alert-alarm). This would help ensure that your room is not entered (make sure to tell the attendant first though!)

Even the tuxedo rental guy has a room key. also the minibar guy who has nothing to do with the attendant

Just hope you don't get a plumbing problem or you could be in trouble;), also NO clean towels for 3 days:eek::eek:

You don't want to come to my house, then. We only wash our towels weekly.:rolleyes:

A lot of people come on this board to complain, but I can't ever recall someone coming on here and saying that they have had anything taken from their room. I think the stewards have too much to do to take the time to go through our stuff, and they also know that if they were to get caught, they'd be thrown off the ship and their careers would be ruined, thus ruining their ability to support their family.

You're not in a cheap motel in Columbus. You're on a cruise ship.

I suppose the Do Not Disturb sign would be your friend. What do you do if you go to a hotel?

Somebody just had a big problem with a cabin steward who apparently took a Coke then lied about it. So it's not all wine and roses on a cruise ship.

OP, you can't guarantee that nobody will come into your cabin when you're not there. Somebody checks the minibar, routine maintenance may be performed, etc. So even if you don't have your cabin cleaned, somebody may have to go in there, anyway.

Your things are probably safer on a cruiseship than they are in a hotel or even in your desk, if you work in a large office. But if you're worried about valuable items, you can lock them in your safe (I think Majesty has one in every cabin. If not you can get a safe deposit box).

Archived