No Room Steward Wanted

LeeKay

We are going on Majesty in June and we would prefer that no one came into our room during are cruise. We are somewhat paranoid about strangers in our room while we are out. I know that is the room stewards job and I'm sure 99% of them are honest hard working people. How would we go about this and would we be hurting anyones feelings by doing this?

Your stateroom steward will usually introduce himself/herself during the day of embarkation. You might in a very polite way tell them that you really won't need much servicing of your cabin during your cruise and that if you need anything you would "prefer" to contact them during the cruise for fresh towels, sheets, cleaning, etc while your in your cabin. Just let them you you just don't prefer people in your cabin while your out. No further explanation is needed and you shouldn't worry about his/her feelings as long as your nice about your preference. Let them know they will get their standard tips. I will advise you to keep your "Do not disturb sign" in your cabin card entry slot at all times. I'm sure the cabin steward might think this request is strange; however, I don't think your request is unheard of or unreasonable either. You usually run into your cabin steward in the hall each mornings and evenings while they are servicing other cabins. I would just status with them that everything in your cabin is A-OK or if you need any fresh towels, etc. That way they know everything is in order and your a happy cruisers. Just be friendly and update front with your wishes and you'll be fine. Another option is just arrange a time when you're in your cabin for him to come by and see if you need anything. Most stewards and very accommodating and helpful.

Exactly. And they could come in and empty the trash and bring ice when we are there. Just would prefer that they not come in while we are out.

that is not how it works. they do their jobs when you are not in the room because it is more efficient that way.

what is it you have to hide??? what is it you think they will do, go thru your underwear drawer?

I wouldn't like some random guy named Stuart in my cabin either :eek: but I don't think you will have any choice in the matter to let your steward come in! :D

My thought would be use the safe they provide you. Its convenient.

The OP said he/she was uncomfortable with a situation and asked a question on an information board about how to avoid it. Why do any us of feel that we have the right to cast judgment on it? I'd be willing to bet that we all are bothered by something or the other that someone else would think was unwarranted.

P.S. As has been stated before, not all of the cabins on the Monarch (and the Majesty) have safes. Valuables are checked at the Pursar's Desk.

One of our favorite parts about cruising is coming back to a freshened up room. Just makes us go "aaaahhhhhh." That's something that CERTAINLY doesn't happen at home. Ever. At least not unless one of us cleans, and then it's not as rewarding, you know?

I may have missed this since I just scanned the pages in this thread, but has the OP been on a cruise before? If not, maybe he/she is not aware of how the room attendant process works, etc. It's not like at hotels, I think. It's also just part of the cruise experience.

I did notice that they will be on the Majesty, which has incredibly tiny cabins. It took us a grand total of... 2 minutes for us to get our Sovereign/Monarch cabins cluttered. Having the attendant come in a few times a day just makes everything so nice! We have never felt as if our personal belongings were ever in danger of being tampered with or stolen. Maybe we're a bit too naive, but... the room attendants have always made us feel comfortable and at home.

I hope the (kind) words of some of us posters have helped the OP make a decision. I would certainly advise they let the attendant work the room as normal.

Happy sailing,

Jason

Not all staterooms have one on the MJ.......

Reason you dont want anyone in the cabin have anything to do with this?? afraid they may see the booze??;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23305082&postcount=44

Exactly, something to hide, good detective work!!

Tight budget sometimes = no tips...

###

i wouldn't keep a do not disturb sign on, because people will think there is something wrong and they will knock on your door asking why you always have the do not disturb sign on. that is how they went about finding that people jumped off the ship, so not a very good idea.

We allow the room steward to clean our room several times a week. Sometimes we don't need anything in the room, just clean towels and we let him know. We always tip more than the normal tip expected. We aren't exactly the most tidy on the ship! We love coming back in the room late at night and it looking as good as it did the day we got on the ship! Those guys work extremely hard picking up after all the passengers! We have been on 10+ cruises, never had anything taken from us!

We are going on Majesty in June and we would prefer that no one came into our room during are cruise. We are somewhat paranoid about strangers in our room while we are out. I know that is the room stewards job and I'm sure 99% of them are honest hard working people. How would we go about this and would we be hurting anyones feelings by doing this?

LeeKay-here's my thoughts.

first off-you would of been best to just speak directly with Royal Caribbean or a travel agent if using one. If they[hotel management] know early enough that you do not want the stateroom attendant in the room they will have ample time to take care of the situation for you. No one here has that power.;)

once again-the Op is forced to endure folks trying to convince them to have the person clean the room, tip, dirty towells come into the senario and so on.

If they don't want someone cleaning-so be it, they should not have to.

Maybe management will give the SA another room so the poster does not have to tip. i'm sure this happens to attendants if the ship is not full so they may just handle the room situation as it was not sold to begin with. Who knows. :eek: figured I'd rile some folks up with that little ditty!!:p

This is kind of like trying to convince Howie Madell to shake your hand because you just washed them. He won't no matter what you say.;)

The OP may have good reasons and it is none of our business trying to find out why.

I am the same way as OP when it comes to land based hotels. I always hang a sign on the door cuz I don't want service. But its usually only 1 to 3 nights so no big deal. And the towels dry easy on land. Not so much at sea. Hotels on land are much more unsecure. A lot of theft happens and job turnover in the states.

A cruise ship is completely different. These people are heavily trained and rely on the job to support their family. It isn't like they can go to the next hotel and get a job. Nothing has ever happened to my stuff. And I gotta say there is such a good feeling about walking in my room after breakfast to see my bed made and room tidy'd up. Or coming to your room after dinner to see a cute monkey towel animal hanging from the ceiling. Oh wait, I gotta get my camera. Plus they put the caper/newsletter on the bed so you know what activities are happening the next day.

2105328050040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2053538050040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2034189050040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

If you are worried about your stuff, you could live out of your suitcase and lock it all up under your bed so it would just be an empty room to them. I wouldn't want to do it but it could be done.

For those of you who have posted without reading all the posts, the OP responded on page 4 of this thread.

They ARE paying full tips.

They are making arrangements to be there for light cleaning fresh towels (see, those with construcctive comments were listened to).

Arubamoose - your comment was WAY out of line! You know nothing about the OP and ignored their responses. If your $0.02 can't be backed up with some semblence of proof, you should keep it to yourself. Comments like that give CC a bad reputation!

Not all staterooms have one on the MJ.......

Reason you dont want anyone in the cabin have anything to do with this?? afraid they may see the booze??;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23305082&postcount=44

I would think that this type of thing is what gives CC a bad name. Was this really necessary, did you get a kick out of embarrassing the OP?

I would think that this type of thing is what gives CC a bad name. Was this really necessary, did you get a kick out of embarrassing the OP?

Relax. Why would someone be embarrassed about something they, themselves had posted on here? If it were embarrassing to them, they wouldn't have posted it.

Relax. Why would someone be embarrassed about something they, themselves had posted on here? If it were embarrassing to them, they wouldn't have posted it.

Just seemed a little like stalking to me, I mean do people do that regularly here? Check for other posts by posters to set them up like that? Guess I don't know the routine on these boards yet.

if the staff have an afternoon off they cant go ashore while someone still has the do not disturb sign on the door they cant take there time off . i have seen staff wait for hours to try and get into a room that may need cleaned so it is best all round to tell them not to clean room . they can then finnish there duties and have any shore leave they might get little as that may be.

Just seemed a little like stalking to me, I mean do people do that regularly here? Check for other posts by posters to set them up like that? Guess I don't know the routine on these boards yet.

Yes. Most of us are not really interested in cruising at all. We mostly just look for other posters that we can stalk and try to "set up."

*sarcasm alert*

if the staff have an afternoon off they cant go ashore while someone still has the do not disturb sign on the door they cant take there time off . i have seen staff wait for hours to try and get into a room that may need cleaned so it is best all round to tell them not to clean room . they can then finnish there duties and have any shore leave they might get little as that may be.

I've also found the DND doesn't work sometimes, I have been in the cabin and forgotten I left the DND card in, a very quick knock and the door opens - sometimes to drop off an invite or drycleaning, etc. They do shout out when they open the door, but some will still come in if they have something to deliver.

This nearly as good a thread as the one we had last week on an English Cruise board where someone asked

"How do I find out if someone has died in the cabin I've been allocated?"

Do people really worry so much when they are on vacation?

Are you worried the cabin steward is going to lie on your bed and watch telly, play with your camcorder or try on your clothes? Believe me they have enough to do without wasting time on trivia.

Or maybe as has been mentioned you just want to try to avoid the tip:confused:

Archived