No Room Steward Wanted

LeeKay

Just seemed a little like stalking to me, I mean do people do that regularly here? Check for other posts by posters to set them up like that? Guess I don't know the routine on these boards yet.

Yea right............as IF you're new..........must say,you are very creative with all these names you come up with,C!! truthfully,you should change you m.o..gives you away every time..

Yea right............as IF you're new..........must say,you are very creative with all these names you come up with,C!! truthfully,you should change you m.o..gives you away every time..

Not sure what you are talking about here. But like I said, to each their own.

Are we seriously looking at previous posts and guessing at their motives? Yeah, OP may travel differently than many of us. So what? I wouldn't do it, but whatever. OP's not the first to sneak booze on a ship! :eek: Now, if they have some sort of crazy S&M thing going, that's another thing, but still, none of our business. Maybe they like to decorate the cabin with unicorns and don't want them disturbed. Who cares as long as they're not creating a meth lab and blowing up the ship? If they're not disturbing our cruise, they already said they're going to tip, so whatever. Leaves more time for the other people to get their rooms cleaned.

First, I corrected the spelling problem, stuart...steward, you knew what I ment. Anyway, its only a 3 day cruise and we can cleanup ourselves. I wondered if the do not distub sign would work.

Yeah, I knew what you meAnt. The Do Not DistuRb sign would work, but just realize that the trash can in your cabin is pretty small! Where would you take it to empty it? You'd still have to pay tips for the Steward, even if you choose not to use him/her.

Are we seriously looking at previous posts and guessing at their motives? Yeah, OP may travel differently than many of us. So what? I wouldn't do it, but whatever. OP's not the first to sneak booze on a ship! :eek: Now, if they have some sort of crazy S&M thing going, that's another thing, but still, none of our business. Maybe they like to decorate the cabin with unicorns and don't want them disturbed. Who cares as long as they're not creating a meth lab and blowing up the ship? If they're not disturbing our cruise, they already said they're going to tip, so whatever. Leaves more time for the other people to get their rooms cleaned.

OMG this was way too funny.

Your room steward is the person who cleans your room, gives you fresh towels, etc. So you don't want your room cleaned or clean towels for the week? Sorry but my first reaction was , ewwwww! Sorry, these are hard working honest people. They would be thrown off at the next port if they weren't.

Um, do you change out your towels and sheets at home more than once a week? I don't. Guess that makes me an ewwwwww, too!

Felicia

We never re-use a towel at home so I surely wouldn't while on vacation.

###

Not to get too personal (:eek:) but aren't you clean when you get out of the shower? If so, why wouldn't you use the same towel that dries off your clean body?

This question is getting a little too weird. LOL

Felicia

You may not realize how many people on that ship have a keypass access to your cabin. Not only the cabin steward. The supervisor for your cabin area, maintenance people, probably more. There are people who enter your cabin during the day to check your in cabin refrigerator purchases.

If you are thinking you don't have to tip if you don't have your cabin cleaned, well then you will have cheated your cabin steward out of his/her tip for the length of your cruise. Someone else could have been assigned that cabin (for even less than you paid) and paid the full tip.

If someone feels okay about cheating another person out of their tips (wages) well then that person better hope there is no such thing as Karma.

OP said they planned on tipping.

But you raise a good point about lots of people having access to the room.

To the OP: If it were me who wanted no one in my cabin, I'd tell the room steward, his/her supervisor, put the dnd sign on the door and not worry about it. I have never heard of anyone having anything stolen.

And personally, I wouldn't travel with anything that valuable that I'd have to worry about it. My passport is my most valued possession, and that goes either with me or in the safe.

Good luck in your decision.

Felicia

WOW, didn't expect this many views on the subject.

You've brightened our day, LeeKay! I've never seen this question posted on any cruise board, and it's a nice refreshing change from the usual "smoking/no smoking" and "tipping/no tipping" debates that rage on and on.........

Felicia

Not to get too personal (:eek:) but aren't you clean when you get out of the shower? If so, why wouldn't you use the same towel that dries off your clean body?

Felicia

LOL Felicia :)

Well, of course we are clean after our showers, however if you must know :p I do use the towel to wipe off my hands as I apply makeup and to dry my hands after I wash them in the bathroom throughout the day (I work from home). I just don't think they are clean enough for my next shower. I did mention that I was a germ freak :cool:

We do have several towel racks and rings in our master bath and to me they are decor and NOT to be used.

Did that help :)

###

exactly. I believe there is only a certain amt of time that Do Not Disturb will be respected before they feel it necessary to ensure that you are fine.

If they were concerned and the DND was on the door for awhile, seems like they would call instead of knocking or just entering.

Also, from what I've observed on previous cruises, personal customer service is the name of the game. How many times have we heard how the waiter remembered someone wanted their tea with no ice or how they got 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream each night?

So if the OP's family doesn't wish to be disturbed, and tells the appropriate people, it won't take long for everyone to recognize this and leave them alone.

Felicia

This nearly as good a thread as the one we had last week on an English Cruise board where someone asked

"How do I find out if someone has died in the cabin I've been allocated?"

OMG! I'm literally laughing out loud at that one!

I have to ask = what is the answer? How does one find out the answer to that question? LOL

Felicia

OP said they planned on tipping.

But you raise a good point about lots of people having access to the room.

To the OP: If it were me who wanted no one in my cabin, I'd tell the room steward, his/her supervisor, put the dnd sign on the door and not worry about it. I have never heard of anyone having anything stolen.

And personally, I wouldn't travel with anything that valuable that I'd have to worry about it. My passport is my most valued possession, and that goes either with me or in the safe.

Good luck in your decision.

Felicia

Excuse me, OP I just assumed that your fear was having something stolen. I guess I got that from reading the other posts that stated that. Ignore my comments on the subject, unless your fear is indeed having something stolen.

We realize you have your reasons, and hope you enjoy your cruise. Please let us know what you decide and also what happens about this when you return.

Felicia

LOL Felicia :)

Well, of course we are clean after our showers, however if you must know :p I do use the towel to wipe off my hands as I apply makeup and to dry my hands after I wash them in the bathroom throughout the day (I work from home). I just don't think they are clean enough for my next shower. I did mention that I was a germ freak :cool:

We do have several towel racks and rings in our master bath and to me they are decor and NOT to be used.

Did that help :)

###

Ah, now I can sleep peacefully tonite. LOL

Thanks for clearing it up. :D

Felicia

We did our honeymoon on an Alaska cruise with Holland America. We had a sign on the door announcing our honeymoon, told the Steward, and left the do not disturb sign on the door. Worked for me.

For those of you wondering about the age of the OP, we were 49 and 51, the steward will understand why you want privacy. :D

If that is the the OP's wish - like others posted, the staff will accomodate your wishes.

Now, this is also a perfect opportunity for the OP to GROW a little. On a 3 night cruise there are not that many opportunities for the cabin steward to enter your room when you are not there. Take the time to watch how the steward goes about his/her job. You will see they are on the hallway during most of the daylight hours, they do their job in the open. They are also usually very friendly and will do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable.

If that is the the OP's wish - like others posted, the staff will accomodate your wishes.

Now, this is also a perfect opportunity for the OP to GROW a little. On a 3 night cruise there are not that many opportunities for the cabin steward to enter your room when you are not there. Take the time to watch how the steward goes about his/her job. You will see they are on the hallway during most of the daylight hours, they do their job in the open. They are also usually very friendly and will do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable.

and they leave the cabin doors open while they are in there..

When I read no cabin steward my first thought was not, no clean towels, no made bed, or no ice, it was how will I get my compass a day early! (let me live in filth, who cares, just deliver the compass :D)

That is totally pathetic. LOL

guess I am an ewwwww! ;)

That was actually one of my first thoughts, too. I want my room cleaned, as well, but a cruise just wouldn't seem the same if we didn't check back in the room in the evening and find our Cruise Compasses to peruse and see what's on tap for the next day.

I'm sure the OP can get the steward to leave a Compass at the door or something like that. It just seems a little odd to be so insistent about not having anyone enter your cabin while you're away.

Felicia

Although you are clean when you get out of the shower, remember, you body sheds millions of dead skin cells every day. When you shower, you remove most of these dead cells, but more are wiped off on the towel. Therefore, the towel is dirty when used once. :eek: Ewwwwww

Although you are clean when you get out of the shower, remember, you body sheds millions of dead skin cells every day. When you shower, you remove most of these dead cells, but more are wiped off on the towel. Therefore, the towel is dirty when used once. :eek: Ewwwwww
Hmmmmm, lets see for a family of 5 thats 35 towels a week. whether on the ship or at home thats a real waste of resources. Maybe your just 1 person, but it all adds up.

Archived