London first-timer!

Can anyone tell what hotels are near the Churchill and war museums?
If you mean the Cabinet War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum, you'll probably be best off looking at the hotels at and around County Hall (which include a Marriott). It's an easy walk across the river to the Cabinet War Rooms, and a slightly longer walk in the other direction to the IWM.

I would reccommend this museum for anyone, its not all boring military stuff either!

There's one of T. E. Lawerence's motorcycles there. The time we were there they had a recreation of being in an air raid shelter during the Blitz. It is a very interesting place.

The Cabinet War rooms are great as well. They changed them from the first time I saw them to what they were in 2006. Very well done, and they even had some re-enactors there, we met a girl who was in the Women's Land Army, and told us how hard the work was. And what they did on their Sunday off.

The Cabinet War rooms are great as well. They changed them from the first time I saw them to what they were in 2006. Very well done, and they even had some re-enactors there, we met a girl who was in the Women's Land Army, and told us how hard the work was. And what they did on their Sunday off.

We really enjoyed our visit here. These are not just mock-ups or re-creations for these War Rooms. This is where it really happened. The new Churchill Museum part is very impressive and educational about so many key parts of 20th Century British and world history. The below website connections with the other War Museum sites.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the outside entrance to Churchill Museum and underground World War II command headquarters. This museum and War Rooms offer interesting, unique history. These were the actual rooms from where the war was run during bombings. And now a museum has been added detailing the complete history of Churchill through three wars, his role as Prime Minster, etc. Below the actual door from Number 10 Downing Street is displayed. This website offer more detailed info:

http://cwr.iwm.org.uk/

It is open seven days a week except December 24-26, 9.30am - 6.00pm

ChurchillMusEnterSign.jpg

ChurchillMusPlanningRoom.jpg

ChurchillMusChStaffRm.jpg

ChurchillMusPortExhibits.jpg

ChurchillMusNo10Door.jpg

ChurchillMusStatureBust.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There is so much good information here - thanks everyone.

We will be in London for 4 days pre-cruise.in mid October. I already booked a hotel (Enrico) on booking.com - I did check reviews, and it seemed a good value, and is located near Victoria St.

We are thinking of taking the National Express coach from Heathrow to Victoria station, as well as to Southampton. There are only 2 of us, so a cab or private car from the airport is not so much of a value. We are definitely Seniors, and we are thinking that dealing with luggage on/off a coach is easier than a train.

We spent a few days in London in 1972, so it will pretty much seem like a new experience! Things have changed a lot, and our memories have faded a lot!

Any comments or suggestions?

We will be in London for 4 days pre-cruise.in mid October. I already booked a hotel (Enrico) on booking.com - I did check reviews, and it seemed a good value, and is located near Victoria St.

We are thinking of taking the National Express coach from Heathrow to Victoria station, as well as to Southampton. There are only 2 of us, so a cab or private car from the airport is not so much of a value. We are definitely Seniors, and we are thinking that dealing with luggage on/off a coach is easier than a train.

We spent a few days in London in 1972, so it will pretty much seem like a new experience! Things have changed a lot, and our memories have faded a lot!

Enrico Hotel - looks a tad shabby-chic - emphasis on shabby - hope you got a good rate.

Staying near Victoria, you are probably best with the coach. To Southampton, again the coach is a good choice, however I personally find the train much more comfortable than a coach - remember, you'll have luggage trolleys to wheel your luggage right to the door of the train, and it's really just a step up (my thing with coaches is always the narrow staircase I have to haul myself up).

London is one of the world's great cities - you'll have a great time!

It looks like your hotel does not have a lift/elevator. Since you mentioned not wanting the hassle of your luggage on the train, I figured it was worth mentioning you might have an awful hassle lugging them up stairs at the hotel. Hopefully you've requested a ground floor room.

Enjoy London! I'm sure a lot has changed since 1972, although sadly it doesn't look like the rooms at the hotel have been updated since then. ;)

Etsdas,

We did London pre-cruise a few weeks ago-wonderful! We did the National Express bus from Heathrow and using a senior rate is was only 5 pounds in total for two to get to Victoria. I hope your hotel is OK-we did ours through bidding on Priceline and got a 4 star hotel near Victoria station that was quite nice for only a little over $100 US per night. Priceline has always worked out very well for us.

Thanks, everyone. I was not able to get such a good rate on Priceline even with multiple bids on different days - had much better luck a year ago.

I did research this hotel and must have missed the reviews giving the info some of you just provided. May have to see if we can do something else.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone familiar with the Sanctuary House Hotel in London. It is one of six hotels in London with the Fullers Hotels and Inns group. It is well placed near St. James Park underground and the attractions in the Westminister area. It has good reviews on Trip Advisor but very little info anywhere on CC. From the internet perspective it seems to be a good 3 star hotel. We want a comfortable room with AC and good food near-by but do not require the additional options such as a pool, fitness center etc. This hotel seems to fit that requirement very well. Any additional insight would be appreciated.

I spent two weeks in London - just sightseeing on my own. Here a few of my highlights -

Check out LondonWalks. This group has many, many tours each day of the week. You would meet the group leader at an assigned location and take off on a walking tour of various London locations (some quite unusual) or the entire group takes a train/bus to locations outside of London. I have gone to the Cotswolds, Lake District, and Glastonbury with this group. I have also taken the train on my own to Windsor and Oxford.

You will have a great time.

Lucyd

Is anyone familiar with the Sanctuary House Hotel in London. It is one of six hotels in London with the Fullers Hotels and Inns group. It is well placed near St. James Park underground and the attractions in the Westminister area. It has good reviews on Trip Advisor but very little info anywhere on CC. From the internet perspective it seems to be a good 3 star hotel. We want a comfortable room with AC and good food near-by but do not require the additional options such as a pool, fitness center etc. This hotel seems to fit that requirement very well. Any additional insight would be appreciated.

Great location and you can be sure that the beer will be good! ;)

Could anyone tell me what Internet access is like in London?

Thank you,

Bill

Question....are you bringing your own laptop? If not, internet cafes are readilly available and not terribly expensive as compared to other places I've been.

Your hotel will be hit or miss...most of the ones that don't have free wifi may have a public computer and it may be free or expensive. There's no way to generalize.

Free hot spots are available in most any McDonald's, Starbucks, many Pret a Manger's and lots of other places.

If your hotel does not have free wifi, you can pop into a mobile phone store and buy a stick modem from any of the major UK mobile providers. I used T Mobile UK...the modem was not terribly expensive and came with very cheap first month (probbly more than you need)...it worked okay...and saved me a bundle as my hotel did not have free wifi. I've used it on all subsequent trips to the UK...£7 a week for almost unlimited access...whether T Mobile is the best depends on otherr factors but you can do the research.

Question....are you bringing your own laptop? If not, internet cafes are readilly available and not terribly expensive as compared to other places I've been.

Your hotel will be hit or miss...most of the ones that don't have free wifi may have a public computer and it may be free or expensive. There's no way to generalize.

Free hot spots are available in most any McDonald's, Starbucks, many Pret a Manger's and lots of other places.

If your hotel does not have free wifi, you can pop into a mobile phone store and buy a stick modem from any of the major UK mobile providers. I used T Mobile UK...the modem was not terribly expensive and came with very cheap first month (probbly more than you need)...it worked okay...and saved me a bundle as my hotel did not have free wifi. I've used it on all subsequent trips to the UK...£7 a week for almost unlimited access...whether T Mobile is the best depends on otherr factors but you can do the research.

Thanks, I will be bringing a laptop.

Any thoughts on this hotel. On Orbitz it seemed that people were pretty happy with it for the price. We will be staying 2 nights to sightsee before our cruise. Thanks.

Americana Hotel

star3-1.png.page=1&models[%27hotelSearchView%27].sortOrder=NET_PLUS_MARKUP&models[%27hotelSearchView%27].selectHotelDetails=true&hotel.hotelId=28370&hotel.hotelDetailsKey=28370_null_null_null_2&pageView=#mapAndAreaInfo"] 172 Gloucester Place Regents Park, London, NW1 6DS

I am looking for a hotel that will accommodate my family of 4 in one room, Premier Inn has this and breakfast included <100 GBP per night, should we go with their Kensington or City Hall hotels? We want to bring our 2 kids to the Eye, Tower, British Museum, West End show, Harrods, boat ride on Thames. We will fly into Heathrow, have 3 nights, then go by train to Harwich to pick up the jewel in June 2011. I like the included breakfast, A/C and elevators.

I am looking for a hotel that will accommodate my family of 4 in one room, Premier Inn has this and breakfast included <100 GBP per night, should we go with their Kensington or City Hall hotels? We want to bring our 2 kids to the Eye, Tower, British Museum, West End show, Harrods, boat ride on Thames. We will fly into Heathrow, have 3 nights, then go by train to Harwich to pick up the jewel in June 2011. I like the included breakfast, A/C and elevators.

Thanks for comprehensive info in your question, which makes offering advice so much easier.

Premier Inns are at the budget no-frills end, but the chain has an excellent reputation, especially for value. I don't know either hotel, so can only give advice on their locations. And on that factor, County Hall (not City Hall) wins hands-down.

County Hall is adjacent the London Eye & just across Westminster Bridge from Westminster pier (most boat trips), the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, the Cabinet War Rooms, Whitehall, 10 Downing Street, Trafalgar Square - all of which are in walking distance. It's easy to go back to this hotel to relax, freshen up, & go out again for the evening.

It's also a bit of London in its own right, being part of the former County Hall, the city council offices when Greater London used to be a county.

By comparison the one at the far end of South Ken (almost into Earls Court) requires the tube to go to any sights except perhaps the complex of Nat History/Victoria&Albert/Science museums (but not the British Museum).

It's also a rather featureless cloned modern building.

That's not to say it's inconvenient - just not slap in the middle of things like County Hall.

And its on a direct tube line from Heathrow (alight at Earls Court) whereas Heathrow to County Hall (Waterloo tube & rail station) means changing lines or a short cab journey. There's lots of travel options into London from Heathrow. The tube, although the cheapest, isn't ideal with luggage unless your kids are good pack-horses.

All the other sights are easy by tube from either hotel, but journeys are shorter from County Hall. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

The main ho-ho bus routes run close to County Hall, but from the Kensington Premier Inn its a short walk to a "feeder" tourbus route.

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/#

or

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=

To get to Harwich, by far your best bet is by train from Liverpool St Station. Trains run hourly, & the train goes right to the quayside. Neither hotel is on a direct tube line to Liverpool St Station, but County Hall is much closer, so a cab is a more likely option.

John Bull

You can purchase a combined London Eye and Thames boat ride ticket from the London Eye website to save money. The boat trips depart from the pier a couple of yards from the London Eye. You can also get the same ticket from lastminute.com to save even more. Would definately recommend buying a timed ticket for the Eye to miss all the queues.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to London several times for stays as long as month and a little as a week. There is so very much to see,,,,we are planning to go again in May. You will not see everything. I would advise buying a book, maybe Rick Steeves, and reviewing same to determine what interests you. Pick out your key must sees but whatever you don't have a tight schedule that has you running from place to place for four days. You may want to consider breaking it up a little with a short cruise down to Greenwich or even a day trip to Bath. I would not be too concerned about where the hotel is. Just get something central that is on the tube line-prefably something that has two or three tube stations nearby (on different lines). And save some time for just walking around, taking in the atmosphere.

How old are your children? I'd skip Harrod's or just go into the Food Halls and take them instead to Hamley's Toy Store on Regent Street.

Archived