Top 10 money saving tips please!

I would really like to know all about the best things that are included on the independence of the seas. I will be travelling with my two children (8 and 5) for a 3 night bonus holiday (we are leaving Rob behind working!!) and really can't afford any extras but would love to get the most out of the trip (Southampton to Le Havre).

On Crown Princess there was an International cafe with complementary patisserie and desserts, cookies, salads is there anything like that I can track down?

I am interested in the best places to eat (included), can the children get pizza or burgers without a cover charge? is there a 24h buffet? is there a children's menu in the MDR?

Almost everything you could want that will give you a great vacation is include...with the exception of alcohol, soda and some specialty restaurants, spa treatments and some fitness classes.

For me, the only thing I won't do without is the alcohol! There's no need to HAVE to purchase any of the "extras", if you don't want to!

On Independence, the Cafe Promenade has included food like you're looking for, and of course the Windjammer and dining room are open for you, too. Room service food is included (but a small tip is sort of expected). The WJ (buffet) isn't 24 hours, but it is open long enough!

There is a child's menu in the dining room, if nothing appeals to them from the adult menu...they may choose off of either. Pizza, burgers, hotdogs....are readily available!

There's a whole section on "saving money" on your cruise that I would check out. But yes, definitely check out the Promenade. You can get pizza and stuff there for free. You should be able to find plenty of stuff. Also check out the Compass for the captain's party and things like that--they sometimes have free drinks at those things.

Have a great time!

Check out the Adventure Ocean on the 1st night and see what activities they have available for your kids' ages. We are bringing our kids for the 1st time next week and are looking forward to them taking advantage of some of the AO activities. You can also order room service if the kids get hungry anytime (but there is a charge late at night)--we liked getting some cookies/snacks for afternoon or before bed.

There's a whole section on "saving money" on your cruise that I would check out. But yes, definitely check out the Promenade. You can get pizza and stuff there for free. You should be able to find plenty of stuff. Also check out the Compass for the captain's party and things like that--they sometimes have free drinks at those things.

Have a great time!

Thank you :)

Where should I look? :confused:

Jo and Rob..welcome to the RCCL site..enjoyed your live from the Crown reports on the Princess site..very detailed. I was on the Crown in January and will be on the Seranade in April. Princess and RCCL very similiar. Just apply what you learned from Princess

Jo and Rob..welcome to the RCCL site..enjoyed your live from the Crown reports on the Princess site..very detailed. I was on the Crown in January and will be on the Seranade in April. Princess and RCCL very similiar. Just apply what you learned from Princess

Thank you we really enjoyed doing them. I won't be doing a live from this time however without Rob (as I will not be taking the laptop or have the video editing king) but I shall do a write up afterwards.

Here are a few ideas

The cookies and the little sandwhiches in the Prominade cafe are lovely, there is also a self service coffee, tea and hot chocolate area in there.

The water is very drinkable and squash style drinks are availble in the windjammer all day, also you can pivk up a couple of peices of fruit and take them back to the cabin for snacks.

If you order room service order it before midnight.

Here are a few ideas

The cookies and the little sandwhiches in the Prominade cafe are lovely, there is also a self service coffee, tea and hot chocolate area in there.

The water is very drinkable and squash style drinks are availble in the windjammer all day, also you can pivk up a couple of peices of fruit and take them back to the cabin for snacks.

If you order room service order it before midnight.

What are "squash" style drinks? i've never heard that expession before

What are "squash" style drinks? i've never heard that expession before

It is like a version of cool aid, (or is Kool Aid a verison of squash). It is a concetrated liquid to which you add water to make a fruit flavored drink. UI have seen the Robinsons brnad of squashes in saome Wal-Marts in the US, but not in many.

Mind you I wish we could get Kool Aid.

10 money-saving ideas:

I may be a little off topic here, but it's much easier to save money BEFORE you board the ship than it is to save once you're there. My best-best-best money-saving tips can save HUNDREDS of dollars:

1. Book early so that you can get the cabin you want, and you'll obviously choose one that offers the most bang for the buck.

2. Watch for price drops.

3. If possible, choose a port to which you can drive; even though we're renting a van for our upcoming cruise, our total transportation cost is 19% the cost of flying all six of us.

4. Arrive a night ahead of your cruise; missing the ship is a very costly mistake. Travel insurance falls into this category too.

My good money saving tips can save DOLLARS:

5. Think before you drink -- I wrote it that way because it rhymed, but people tend to spend BIG BUCKS on drinks onboard. Skip the refillable mug; especially if you drink alcoholic drinks with dinner, you're likely to spend less if you buy the occasional soda one at a time. It'll also make you stop and think about whether you really want a soda or whether a water will do. Bring a refillable water bottle instead of buying bottled water. Smuggle a moderate amount of alcohol.

6. Read your ship's daily newspaper. This is how you'll know about the events onboard, and you don't want to miss something that would've interested you (which is wasting your cruise ticket dollars).

7. Plan your onboard needs carefully. Little things like sunscreen, disposable cameras, over-the-counter medicines cost little at your local Walmart but a fortune onboard.

8. Skip ship excursions. It's very easy to locate good private vendors on these boards, and the benefits aren't all financial: you'll be with smaller groups, and you'll have more control over what you do.

9. Pay attention to your bill. Lots of posters here have reported mistakes on their onboard bills.

10. Don't get the idea that you MUST DO all the extras to have a great time onboard. The spa, the specialty restaurants, the art auction, and other options can all add big bucks to your bill. Don't get the idea that spending more equals more enjoyment on your cruise. Set a budget ahead of time and do JUST what you've decided you want to do.

One more:

A friend of mine didn't realize that room service food is FREE onboard, so she never used that service. We think it's nice to order breakfast in the room on a port morning when you're hurrying to get going. And my kids think it's the height of luxury to have someone bring them chocolate chip cookies and milk at bedtime.

Do bring some small bills for tips.

One more:

A friend of mine didn't realize that room service food is FREE onboard, so she never used that service. We think it's nice to order breakfast in the room on a port morning when you're hurrying to get going. And my kids think it's the height of luxury to have someone bring them chocolate chip cookies and milk at bedtime.

Do bring some small bills for tips.

Can you order complementary milk for the children?

Emily will love that! Do you think the icecream is egg free?

I think so. :confused: I believe it's classed as frozen yogurt. ;) There's a Ben and Jerry's where various flavoured ice creams can be bought. :D

Archived