Required Documents

pbacbell

We are sailing on Carnival Fantasy in 2 weeks. This is our first cruise and our travel agent recommended a passport, but said it wasn't required. However, we are travelling with my son (13) who has a different last name than mine. My travel agent told me I would need to prove my name change. Birth Certificate - divorce document - marriage license. I have read the Carnival website and I haven't read anything like this. I have all of those documents, but why can't I just take my b.c. and id?

You will probably need a notorized letter from your son's father giving you permission to take him out of the country as well. This is to help prevent one parent from kidnapping their children. If your birth certificate does not match your id, they will need a paper trail to show that you are who you say you are. I was asked for my marriage certificate twice before I got my passport, others say they were not asked but take it- you could be denied boarding if you get the agent who decides to ask.

Make sure that both of your birth certificates are certified ones from the county you were born in- the hospital ones or photo copies will not work.

I agree with Househunter.

Most likely you will not be asked for all that paperwork, however, a small percentage of people are asked for it. If you are asked and cannot provide it, you will not be allowed on the ship.

Every cruiseline (to include Carnival) has the disclaimer that it is the cruisers responsibility to have and maintain all proper identification documents. A drivers license that shows you as Jane Smith and a birth certificate as Jane Doe, does not prove your identity.

My advice is bring EVERYTHING to prove ANYTHING... Last thing you want is to be turned away for not having proper documents. I know this can happen because friends of mine were turned away once from a cruise and they were only given a small percentage of their cruise costs for a "future cruise"..

It was so sad..

Thank you so much for your replies. I had never thought about getting a letter from my son's father...YIKES! I am so thankful for this message board because I don't feel like my travel agent has given me enough info. When I chat with her it seems like I am bugging her.

I have read the Carnival website...I had never thought about getting a letter from my son's father

From http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico
It's not easy to find, but it is in several places.:)

...I have all of those documents, but why can't I just take my b.c. and id?
As noted above, when using your son's BC, the parents are the people named on the BC. If you have changed your identity since then, you need documentation showing you are the same person as named on the BC. You would need these (his BC, your brdige documents) even if your son has a passport, as long as his last name is different than yours.

Thank you so much for your replies. I had never thought about getting a letter from my son's father...YIKES! I am so thankful for this message board because I don't feel like my travel agent has given me enough info. When I chat with her it seems like I am bugging her.

Not just a letter but a notarized letter, this is very important. This is true when traveling to Mexico or Canada by land. Good luck and the suggestion bring EVERYTHING just in case. The BC have to be from the state or county and have a raised seal. The hospital type are not valid. :eek:

If you don't feel you can ask her/him anything, then get a new one. They are there for you, to make your vacation the best it can be and they get paid for that. You are the boss and they are the employee, they should treat you with respect and never make you feel uncomfortable! Shop arround, ask friends who they use and if cruising is you thing, get somebody who specializes in cruising as they will have the best perks to offer your. :)

Archived