using mobile phones onboard?

I would like to know about using my phone onboard. I read on the Princess forum that the ship's satellite system makes calls very expensive. However we are travelling from Southampton to France and will be in port most of the time so will that be relevant? Do they turn the satellite system off in port? Do they even turn it on for a short voyage? :confused:

I know the Caribbean ships have cellular on board. Not sure about Europe but it should be on the RCL web page for your ship somewhere.

I think if they're within about 3 miles of a country, they have to turn it off so the system doesn't interfere with the local cellular systems.

Yes, you will be billed as International so check with your local carrier to make sure it's active on your phone. I think they need to be a GSM compatible phone. Not as fast as 3G but fine.

Cell phones register even if you don't use them. So if you don't want charges, turn your phone totally, take out the SIM or go into airplane mode.

Hi,

Check your service provider for roaming charges. Whilst you are at sea if you are planning to use the mobile you will be doing so via the ship's service.... may be cheaper to wait until you are in a port and then call. Don't forget you will be paying for incoming calls.... I have all incoming calls go to voicemail which I've set up in the UK asking for people to SMS me. I can then decide whether or not to reply. Doesn't cost to receive SMS.

When you are in port in the US you should be fine, but you always have to pay attention to the cell service provider just to make sure you are not picking up the ship's tower. On my phone, the ship's service usually reads something like WMS.

Archived