Best things to do when you first board?

This is our first cruise with Royal Caribbean and we would welcome any tips as to what are the best things to do when we first board. I'm travelling with Oliver (8) and Emily (5)

Bring your swim suits in a carry on. Get on the ship early. Once on head to

the rest room, get your suits on and head to the pool. Great way to start the cruise, especially with kids.

WOW!! How much time do you have?? LOL

EAT!!!!

Drop your stuff in your cabin (carry ons)

Check out your table assignment/time for dinner

walk around the ship-they usually have some sort of "expo" where all the outlets will be there letting you know what they offer, and they usually give out some prizes...

check adventure ocean...since you have kids

EAT!!!

have a cocktail!

walk around the ship....

attend muster.....

get back to having fun.....

You won't have access to your cabin until at least 1PM, so carry something light. Something to get sun in or go swimming. Go eat in the Windjammer. Walk everywhere. Get a feeling for the layout of the ship. While they're at port, a lot of areas are open for a free look and to answer questions. Sign up for things like the Spa and Flowrider. Then move up to the top deck to wave goodbye to the dock workers. Not like in the movies, no crowds, no streamers, or confetti :) But still fun to see the port and how the ship maneuvers. The side thrusters are interesting.

If someone tries to hand you a tropical drink when you first get on, realize it is NOT a free drink. You will have to give your card after they give you the drink. $8 I think. You would think at least one welcome drink would be on the house. Bad first impression.

Above all, relax. Get a deep breath of sea air and your blood pressure will start to go down.

First thing I like to do is cry.......we finally made it!! I love that feeling I get when I cross that final bridge and walk onto the ship!

after the tears are dry, i walk around snapping pictures and eat and drink.

since we had first seating for dinner, there isn't much time after the muster and sail away party on deck to romp in the pool and make it in time for MDR at 530/600.....we head over the MDR and take it all in...still smiling...and teary eyed!

enjoy enjoy enjoy

Just walk around and breathe in the wow factor! Last year on the Independance we stumbled across samples from Portifino and Chops being handed out. There is so much to take in it can be overwhelming, in a good way!

I've noticed in a few posts some say they could board on AOS from San Juan as early as 11:00, even though the papers say not until 2pm for an 8pm departure. Is this common? Also, once on board, is it possible to leave the ship and reboard as long as you get back before the mandatory boarding time?

1st pool bar few beers

2nd go to cabin check it out see if luggage is there un-pack quickly if it is

3rd check out dining arrangements see how many on table how old and

what nationality (change if we dont like)

then back to bar few more beers let the cruise begin happy days:)

1. Grab lunch

1A> secure an adult beverage

2> Explore the ship

3> drop stuff in the cabin

3A>replace now empty adult beverage

4> check out table assignment

5>make reservations for Portofino's

6>make wife's spa reservations

7>secure one of those refreshing adult beverages, go poolside, wait for muster drill.

8>unpack

9>Get ready for the first evening

10>leave stateroom, leave wife to finish makeup, etc....go find a really well made Absolut Martini, up, with extra olives

Forget eating...there will be PLENTY of food later....explore, drink, sun....whatever! Do what YOU want to do! It's YOUR vacation!

You are contradicting yourself. You are telling people to do what they want to do....and in the same breath you are telling them to not eat.....

Perhaps some of us are hungry when we first board so that is why we eat :rolleyes:

I've noticed in a few posts some say they could board on AOS from San Juan as early as 11:00, even though the papers say not until 2pm for an 8pm departure. Is this common? Also, once on board, is it possible to leave the ship and reboard as long as you get back before the mandatory boarding time?

Boarding begins 11:00 - 11:30.

Get there early and get started.

First thing we do is go to the WJ to eat!! Get that done before ll the crowd comes......

why not just explore before you board??:confused:

Bypass 'welcome cocktail' table. Get called back to wc table because DW wants one. I like to wait until lunch up in the WJ and get one that hasn't been sitting on the table for 30 to 40 minutes. (Isn't fresh better?)

After lunch check dining room arrangements and drop off carry on if possible.

Head to Pool Bar for traditional (for me) welcome aboard Mai tai......

Walk around and explore ship, take pictures and then back up to the pool deck for a different cocktail......Just because I'm maitaiguy doesn't mean that's what I drink all the time.....it refers to my traditional drink at the pool bar to get the vacation started!;)

Just two more loooooong, agonizing months until that darn mai tai!

Archived