How formal do children need to be on formal night?

Emily (5) has a pretty little dress no problem but Oliver doesn't necessary have anything "formal". I don't want to start paying for an outfit especially as the children may want to do something at the kids club if something special is organised but I don't want him to look or feel out of place either! Any advice? :confused:

You didn't say how old Oliver is, but for young children, pretty much anything "nice" is OK. It doesn't have to be formal (even though, technically, the dress suggestion applies to all ages). If you're talking older children, teen or pre-teen, I would suggest following the same guidelines as adults.

My boys 8 and 12 just wore jeans w/ a polo shirt tucked in and looked nice. My girls 10 and 14 wore sun dresses and looked nice as well. I just wasn't putting my kids in a tux. They all still looked nice. hope this helps :)

You didn't say how old Oliver is, but for young children, pretty much anything "nice" is OK. It doesn't have to be formal (even though, technically, the dress suggestion applies to all ages). If you're talking older children, teen or pre-teen, I would suggest following the same guidelines as adults.

Oliver will be 8 so young enough not to be wearing a tux! He can certainly look quite smart it is his footwear that may let him down as the velcro has gone on his school shoes and he is wearing trainers at the moment.

My boys 8 and 12 just wore jeans w/ a polo shirt tucked in and looked nice. My girls 10 and 14 wore sun dresses and looked nice as well. I just wasn't putting my kids in a tux. They all still looked nice. hope this helps :)

My 12 yo son is not generally one to get excited about dressing up, but he wants us to rent him a tux for our upcoming cruise. He's never worn a tux before, so it is a "cool" thing.

So, it'll make for a sharp family picture on formal night.

As per the RCI website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

It very clearly states:

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

So, they are saying kids are to follow the same dress code as adults.

By no stretch of the imagination are jeans appropriate for formal night no matter how "nice" YOU may feel they looked. No one is suggesting a tux for a child (although there were two toddlers at the next table on one cruise who wore little tuxes and looked awsome - bet their family portraits were great), but dress pants and a dress shirt, with or without tie and jacket, would be fine. Can't imagine anyone would dress kids in jeans for a formal wedding, but who knows.

Do you have Wal Mart or JCPenney type stores by you in the UK? I've seen (and bought for my son when he was younger) very cute and inexpensive sets with a pair of dress pants, dress shirt and vest (and even a tie once). I'd also check out any consignment or second hand stores to see what you can find in his size.

Slacks and a button down shirt will be fine. I'd probably bring a clip-on tie or vest so he has the option to be a bit dressier, but would just offer it as an option, not a requirement.

My 9 and 12 year old will be in tuxes at their request, which kind of surprised me. The 12 might be in his kilt, Prince Charlie, etc. if he has them for bagpipes already.

The formal "outfit" for my son is dark pants (from the gap...not fancy), a long-sleeve button-down shirt, and a tie (clip on). One year, he actually wore a suit, but that was because we had purchased it for a wedding and wanted to get another use from it! We did go out and buy him an inexpensive pair of dress shoes as well.

Do not be intimidated by "The Clothes Police" who post on these threads, especially those who like to post links.

When you are dealing with kids, we need to use common sense. RCCL posts "suggestions". It is not a hard and fast code as some would lead you to believe.

As long as they're dressed in something clean and nice--they'll be fine. If it's jeans, --fine. Too many uppity snobs on these threads. And don't force a tie on a young boy--he may HAVE to wear one later on in life--he'll get enough of it then.

I bought a long-sleeved shirt and a cllip-on tie at Target for my 10 year old. He wore this with khaki pants and dress shoes for both formal night and smart casual. He was better dressed than most of the children in the dining room on those nights.

Emily (5) has a pretty little dress no problem but Oliver doesn't necessary have anything "formal". I don't want to start paying for an outfit especially as the children may want to do something at the kids club if something special is organised but I don't want him to look or feel out of place either! Any advice? :confused:

Whatever you would dress him up for a wedding.

My daughter is wearing a sundress and my 10 year old son is wearing a pair of tan pants and a button down shirt. He has a sweater vest that matches he might wear. Check out JC Penny or if you have a Childrens Place they have some good deals on Easter/Spring clothing. My kids won't be super fancy but will look nice.

The suggested dress codes make no distinction between children and adults.

They "need" (as in are required) to be as formal as adults, which is not formal at all, there is no requirement.

The typical practice seems to be that parents are less inclined to follow the suggestions for their children than they do themselves.

During our Hawaii Cruise, we saw a couple with two little boys, ages around 7 & 9 and formal nights, they word nice slacks and a shirt. Another couple had their 2 yr old daughter and she always wore a lovely dress. She was a big hit last formal night, everyone wanted to take her picture

For a 7 night trip, I usually bring 2 pairs of dark pants (navy or black hides any minor messes better), 2 long sleeve dress shirts and 1 tie (a highly patterned tie will also disguise any stains better than a solid one too) for the formal nights, and 2 or 3 short sleeve collared shirts (plaid or polo) for the casual nights. Don't forget the dark socks (they don't have to be dress socks, dk sport socks are fine) and a pair of inexpensive dressier shoes. The kids usually change out of their clothes shortly after dinner so that they don't get too mauled. Any minor spills can usually be wiped off and hung to dry or you can bring a Tide To Go stain removal pen just in case. Any major disasters can be handled by the laundry dept. on board. Our kids like to dress up a bit and my youngest has even insisted on wearing his tie to dinner on the casual nights!

I think that people like to see that you have made an effort to dress for dinner, but they don't expect that boys have to be dressed in suits and tuxes.

With my children we usually let them eat with AO on one formal night. On the other, we have them dress up some. When they are done with their meal, they run up to the room and change and go to AO. (When they were younger I would walk them up to the room, and AO --- They were quick change artists and I would only be gone from the dining room 10/15 min.)

Aloha,

john

Go to JCPenny, in the kids section, and find a suit for very, very cheap. Before you go, buy a Sunday newspaper, which most likely will have a 10% off coupon. By the time you are finished, your 8 year old can be dressed in a suit, and tie, for under $35.00.

I just bought a new suit, for my 14 year old, which the suit should last not only for this upcoming cruise, but his graduation, and brothers, maybe several weddings, and than his High School, since the suit can be let out some. Total price, after discounts was about $101.00.

As long as they're dressed in something clean and nice--they'll be fine. If it's jeans, --fine. Too many uppity snobs on these threads. And don't force a tie on a young boy--he may HAVE to wear one later on in life--he'll get enough of it then.

Just as many bum-like dressers also!!

Hi Jo and Rob,

Dress code threads tend to get heated at times. Some say the guidelines apply to all passengers, and some say children are exempt from the guidelines. Some will post links to the dress code guidelines on the website, and those who disagree with it cry foul. Others are called snobs. It's so sad. Really, there is no winning in a thread like this.

I agree with the member who said to dress your children (whatever age) like they are going to a wedding. I don't think you can "lose" this way. If Oliver sees Daddy in a tie, he may very well want to match him for the evening. They will look great. :)

On our last cruise, we saw a small boy, maybe 2 or 3 years old, in a white tuxedo. He was adorable and many of the passengers stopped to take his picture. He was in no way "rebelling" against his parents or trying to take his formal wear off because they put him in a tux - he was fine.

Have a good time.

Archived