Price of sea sickness injection onboard?

haggy09

I get terrible seasickness unless I wear the patch. I've tried everything else, except the shot...just can't go there. I function fine with the patch, applying it about 5 hrs prior to aboarding. The only time I had a problem was when my husband didn't put it on for me, and I got a piece of hair between the patch and skin. This was on a long cruise and it was the 4th day that you have to switch patches. Several hours later...I practically ran from the dinning room. So make sure nothing is between the patch and skin. I get motion sickness sometimes in cars, on swings etc. So basically what I am trying to say is get the patches..about 12.00 to fill the prescription.:)

This sounds like such an easy fix until you find out that many people have side effects so severe from wearing the patch that it is almost worth being seasick instead. For some they are a lifesaver, but for others they are HORRID. I always tell anyone that thinks they want to try the patch to test it out first at home before the rely on it for their cruise. When we first began cruising many years ago, we hit some horribly rough seas. I had gotten an RX and filled it before leaving home, so as soon as they announced rough seas ahead, I put it on. It was the worse 24 hours of blurry vision, unsteadiness, dry mouth and feeling ill I think I have ever had in my entire life. As said, works great for some, for others no way!

It seems that a lot of people have a certain pre-disposition to sea sickness.

I wonder why that is?

Is it some sort of Dawinian thing perhaps?? any other thoughts??

I suppose it is because we are all different and different things affect us in different ways... I didn't get seasick at all, but I did suffer from that Mal-de-whatever-it-is. That thing you get when you feel like you are still at sea when you are on land. Very disconcerting, got that at a few ports. DH thought I was either putting it on or gone mad. Mind you, he probably had a point in relation to the latter :D

(PS Charles Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, don't'cha know?)

What truth? :confused:

Their charges are very reasonable.

Where would you get an injection for nausea to take on vacation with you?

And if you have insurance whats the worry?

Someone asked what the costs of injections are and I was just on the Pacific Princess with a performer who could not afford the injections because there were $250. She had to chew ginger, and actually green apples are even better than ginger.

I am not meaning to be offensive to you, but I did just have that experience within the last 4 weeks and I think its fair the share this info. I don't feel sharing my information is a bad thing, why do you?

Amelia

Amelia, I honestly think the performer misunderstood, and then repeated her misunderstanding to you (unless she tried to go to the medical center during hours they are not open, then there is a hefty charge for any visit). The reason I say that is that I have read many posts that passengers have come back and said they needed to go and get the seasickness shot, but it was the best $100 they ever spent. That could be why you are getting a bit of backlash from the price the performer quoted you. I do wish someone who actually received the shot recently would jump in here and tell us the going rate, from first hand knowledge. ;)

I suppose it is because we are all different and different things affect us in different ways... I didn't get seasick at all, but I did suffer from that Mal-de-whatever-it-is. That thing you get when you feel like you are still at sea when you are on land. Very disconcerting, got that at a few ports. DH thought I was either putting it on or gone mad. Mind you, he probably had a point in relation to the latter :D

(PS Charles Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, don't'cha know?)

For the first dozen or so longer cruises we took, I did the exact same thing. I was fine onboard, didn't get seasick one little bit, but after we got home....................OMG! After a month long cruise and an international flight home, I ended up going to the doctor, I honestly though I had the flu. I could barely get out of bed and then I was hugging the porcelain god, it went on for a couple of days before DH took me to the Quack. A few bonine, and I was ready to go again. Thankfully, all that passed and it doesn't happen anymore. I attributed it to having to wear ear plugs at night very tight in my ears for a month while sailing (yes, the snoring was that bad). Since I no longer need to wear them (thankfully no more snoring from him), I haven't had it since. Mine had to have something to do with my inner ear is all I could figure. ;)

Someone asked what the costs of injections are and I was just on the Pacific Princess with a performer who could not afford the injections because there were $250. She had to chew ginger, and actually green apples are even better than ginger.

I am not meaning to be offensive to you, but I did just have that experience within the last 4 weeks and I think its fair the share this info. I don't feel sharing my information is a bad thing, why do you?

Amelia

You are not being offensive. We are having a discussion. :)

In your prior post.....

You say you bring your own meds and all I was asking is where do you get the meds to inject yourself for nausea? I was not aware that anything like this was available for purchase by the public to inject on their own?

Just curious.

For some when very sick this shot works wonders.

I would not get it as a prevention and I doubt the Dr. would administer it under those circumstances either.

We hit the tail end of a hurricane once and my husband was deathly sick. He got the shot and immediately felt better. Too long ago for the price to be significant now.

Last week I bought a bottle of generic chewable Meclazine at Wal-mart for under 6 bucks and also while there picked up a bottle of Ginger capsules for 4 bucks in the vitamin department. Meclazine is the ingredient in the new non-drowsy Dramamine, and in Bonine. Spending under ten dollars for prevention is easier than worrying about affording a shot.

;)

I get terrible seasickness unless I wear the patch. I've tried everything else, except the shot...just can't go there. I function fine with the patch, applying it about 5 hrs prior to aboarding. The only time I had a problem was when my husband didn't put it on for me, and I got a piece of hair between the patch and skin. This was on a long cruise and it was the 4th day that you have to switch patches. Several hours later...I practically ran from the dinning room. So make sure nothing is between the patch and skin. I get motion sickness sometimes in cars, on swings etc. So basically what I am trying to say is get the patches..about 12.00 to fill the prescription.:)

I too swear by the patch!!!! But your insurance is MUCH better than mine. The patch is non-formularly, so my co-pay is $50, the cost of patches is $48, so I get no coverage. But it's worth every penny!!

I don't doubt the ship was going to charge $250 for the shot. I recently was treated in the ship's Med Center and was given not one but two antibiotics for a sinus infection and they were $75 for the both. These were not a Z-pack but Amoxycillin. I commented to the nurse when she handed me the bill how much cheaper these would be at home (free at Publix), she really didn't have a response. So, you either pay what they charge if it's important enough to you to get well while on the ship. For me, I was looking at 5 more days on the ship and a flight across country when I returned so I paid it and have filed a claim upon my return.

Unfortunately, I had this injection on my last cruise & it was $10. It does knock you out for several hours, I think I lost most of one day sleeping:(.

Jan

Thank you Jan. I knew the shot was not expensive, but It is nice getting the actual cost from someone who has had it recently. Sounds like it was even less than I thought it would be.

You are not being offensive. We are having a discussion. :)

In your prior post.....

You say you bring your own meds and all I was asking is where do you get the meds to inject yourself for nausea? I was not aware that anything like this was available for purchase by the public to inject on their own?

Just curious.

If I knew I suffered from sea sickness, I would begin treating myself before I ever got on the ship. This would include a visit to my doctor where I might ask for an injection that I could take along, in case of extreme sickness.

I have really bad Migraines and I have to travel with meds I can inject for that, why not sea sickness meds?

Amelia

Unfortunately, I had this injection on my last cruise & it was $10. It does knock you out for several hours, I think I lost most of one day sleeping:(.

Jan

Well so much for the info I gathered from the Violinist! I guess she was having troubles converting British Pounds to Dollars! LOL

Amelia

One reason why you can't always believe something that was told second hand. ;)

I'll be honest with you here, somewhere between $10 and $250 lies the truth, since they were charging $5 in the medical center for one sea sickness pill (not free at the pursers desk) and I did buy one pill so I know this first hand, I have a tough time believing that the shot only costs $10.

Not that this is an issue, but I think you should expect to pay more than $10 for an injection on a Princess ship.

Amelia

I'll be honest with you here, somewhere between $10 and $250 lies the truth, since they were charging $5 in the medical center for one sea sickness pill (not free at the pursers desk) and I did buy one pill so I know this first hand, I have a tough time believing that the shot only costs $10.

Not that this is an issue, but I think you should expect to pay more than $10 for an injection on a Princess ship.

Amelia

Why didn't you make your purchase at the shop onboard? They sell them in the section with toiletries (or did they run out with too many passengers coming unprepaired?). They haven't been 'free' at the purser's desk on Princess that I can ever remember in the last 20 years. Carnival used to have a bowl of them at the purser's desk, but I don't think they even do that anymore.

I would guess the cost of the shot is PLUS the medical visit, which is $60, so you are probably partially correct on that one. ;) As I said previously, I have read many posts where some have said it was the best $100 they ever spent getting the shot. So that would work out about right for the office visit plus injection.

I will repeat that I am going to guess that the entertainer attempted to get the shot during non medical clinic hours, and that could be why she came up with that $250 figure. During off hours, the medical center charges a small fortune for any service they give during off hours.

Why didn't you make your purchase at the shop onboard? They sell them in the section with toiletries (or did they run out with too many passengers coming unprepaired?). They haven't been 'free' at the purser's desk on Princess that I can ever remember in the last 20 years. Carnival used to have a bowl of them at the purser's desk, but I don't think they even do that anymore.

I would guess the cost of the shot is PLUS the medical visit, which is $60, so you are probably partially correct on that one. ;) As I said previously, I have read many posts where some have said it was the best $100 they ever spent getting the shot. So that would work out about right for the office visit plus injection.

Actually it was early morning and the shops didn't open until 9am. I had been told, or read somewhere here on CC that the pursers desk will always give free sea sick pills, so when I went up to ask for my free pills they laughed at me and told me to to to the doctors office and pay for one! :)

Toto, you are a nice person! Amelia

I think now just under $100 for the shot and the consultation with the doctor.

The only time I had ever been sea sick so I hadnot packed any medication.

This was first day out of LA on way to Hawaii on Island Princess 2007.

Actually it was early morning and the shops didn't open until 9am. I had been told, or read somewhere here on CC that the pursers desk will always give free sea sick pills, so when I went up to ask for my free pills they laughed at me and told me to to to the doctors office and pay for one! :)

Toto, you are a nice person! Amelia

Goes to show, you can't always believe what you read. lol

I got caught only ONCE on a 'hurricane cruise' without medication packed (once and only once, as I have never forgotten it since. Why do we always seem to learn from our own mistakes such a tough lesson?). Believe it or not, my room steward was as green as a shamrock too, and he actually shared his seasickness pills with me. ;) I have always made sure to pack them from that cruise onward, as you never know with good ole Mother Nature when she will rear her ugly head. :) :)

Unfortunately I have very bad seasickness, I have tried patches, ginger, and now take Meclizine ( prescription ) it has been wonderful I take it before I board and every day while on board, on two occasions I have had a shot from the Doctor on board, I think it cost $100-150.00 I was covered by my own Medical insurance, and did not need to submit to my Travel Ins

Haggy as you are also from the UK, I will just add a bit to this, that doesn't have anything to do with your original question but is connected.

When I read on here about the various things people mention to help seasickness it means nothing to me, as they aren't things I have come across here at home. Except ginger I know what that is lol.

For travel sickness prevention (I'm much more likely to have trouble on the airplane, or mini buses on the islands, rather than the ship) we use stugeron this was the tablet of choice used by the Royal navy about 20 years ago, don't know if it still is, available at any pharmacy counter here :)

Hi all

After getting such a great response yesterday to my question I just wondered if anyone could tell me the price of the injection the dr can give you onboard for sea sickness?

Thanks in advance

What someone told me was that the medicine in the shot is Phenergan. I got my Dr. to write a prescription for me and I take it on every cruise. It works better than anything else and I have tried everything including the patch which made me sick and sleepy. The Phenergan is a 25 mg tablet and if you swallow the whole pill you will probably sleep for 2 days! I take a small bite of it each night and I sleep well and don't get sick. It settles the stomach in addition to making you sleepy. I sent my MIL several pills because she was going on a cruise. (She's 86 and my FIL is 89) She followed my instructions and was fine the whole time. FIL threw up!

On our first cruise back in 03 I used ginger (also use ginger when flying and getting my instrument ticket- it worked fine except for during severe turbulance in western Texas and I did get sick.) and a bunch of other stuff that's suppose to work. We had smooth seas till the last day of the cruise. We were in the troughs (not fun) and I took a Benadryl and went to bed.

With the Phenergan I have been able to read in bed with the boat rocking and not feel sick at all. I've been on 2 cruises since the first and will be boarding the Ruby on Tues. Hope this helps you. There's nothing worse than being seasick!

Archived