Price of sea sickness injection onboard?

haggy09

nothing worse than being seasick; we no longer take chances; after 2 cruises and a trip on each to the med center (neither bill was cheap, but the second one required an IV, and both were after hours and luckily both were reimbursed at 80% by my own insurance back home) now I travel with dramamine and my Husband wears the patch. the mal de whatever is "mal de debarquement" which is French for sickness from landing, or disembarking." I have had it and mine lasted for nearly 8 months--absolutely terrible; I am very prone to motion sicknesss of every kind--planes, cars, boats; so I thank God every trip when I come home and am feeling ok--but now I know I have to take dramamine as a preventative. dramamine to get there by the plane and dramamine continues if it is a cruise vacation. we love to travel--we are addicted to it, and Often think what a twist of fate to have one of the worst histories of motion sickness of anyone I know--but since non-drowsy dramamine has come on the market--I feel well and actually stay awake--Grams98

I've used the non-drowsy dramamine and it worked very well..and we were on a deep sea fishing excursion. I was very worried ... didn't want to spoil the fun. I was told by the pharmacist...take 1 pill at night and 1 the next a.m. before going...and go with a full stomach...and eat a snack on board. I had the best time...and felt great. I'm taking some with me, although on past cruises I did not need it.

All I know is that my wife had a shot 14 years ago on RCL .. total visit was $50 .. she HATES shots .. but was the best shot of her life .. and we are still cruising .. of course now she has a little help from Bonine usually one or two days per cruise.

the 2 shots I got were the best sh;ots of my life, too. I thought i was dying before them on each trip. haven't cruised without dramamine since, and like i said, i am afraid to just take it when it gets wavy, because by then, it is usually too late for me; have a great cruise,k everyone; our nest one is to alaska in june--got my seasickness pills al set-grams98

We have been cruising for 20 years with 80 cruises under our belt. In hurricaines and never got sick once. Our Dr. explained to us that it is your balance in the middle ear that causes You to get ill. So He told us to always take 1 Dramamine or 1 Bonine day before cruise, 1 morning of cruise and then as needed. It has always worked for us and anybody We gave this info too. We also have trip insurance but have no idea if this shot is covered. Good question to ask your trip insurance company before buying it. Enjoy your cruise. IKE

• 3 months later...
What truth? :confused:

Their charges are very reasonable.

Where would you get an injection for nausea to take on vacation with you?

And if you have insurance whats the worry?

The problem is that you have to pay out of pocket initially as they dont take any insurance and then you get to fight with your insurance company (if you have it) to get reimbursed, if at all. So while it may not be a big deal to you to shell out an extra couple hundred bucks, it might be to someone else.

In any event, I would take every precaution you can to avoid setting foot in that clinic, which if what I was told is correct, the doctor gets paid on a commission like structure. Princess doesn't care two shakes about the quality of that care, especially after the fact. I mean why would they, they already got your money right? You couldn't pay me to ever set foot in that clinic again after my recent experience on the Caribbean Princess.. In retrospect, I wish that I had gone to the ER in Roseau for my broken wrist rather than see that "Doctor" who was barely out of medical school.

Last year I went and got the shot onboard after trying everything else. I wish I had done it sooner, I felt better within a couple of hours. They also gave me some promethazine tabs in case I started feeling sick again and thankfully that never happened. The trip and shot to the medical center cost $70.

I too am very susceptible to motion sickness. I have found Bonine to be a god-send. The new non-sleepy Dramamine just knocks me out--even if I take it before bed. With the Bonine I take it at night before the cruise starts and then every night afterwards. I also can get the "mal de disembarkment"--didn't think about taking the bonine once I got home. Thanks for the advice.

I have been told that the issue is an inner-ear problem. My father, career Navy, that gets terribly sea sick, was told that when he developed Meniere's Syndrome. Only time he had to take off work after he retired from the Navy was when he was flat on his back with that. His baby sister also gets it.

Nothing worse than being seasick--$250 for that shot might be worth it if you are that sick.

Ginger works great!

MotionEase:

Ingredients: A Blend Of 100% Natural Oils (Lavender, Peppermint, Chamomile, Frankincense, Myrth, Ylang-Ylang And Birch).

Ylang-Ylang is an oil used in perfumes.

FWIW it looks more like a placebo effect to me as the active ingredients are basically non-medicinal.

Just my opinion.

I get HORRIBLY seasick -- so I use the scopalamine transdermal patches. One placed behind your ear lasts for 3 days. It cost me $50 for a 12 day supply at home before I leave on my trip, and well worth the price and worry free trip! It is prescription only, so you must get that from your dr.

It was on the Sovereign of the Seas in February 1998 and it cost me just over $100.00. It was covered by insurance and I got it back. I will say that it worked very quickly and that the doctor was truly gorgeous. :p Ever since then, I've done my homework and not been sick since...but I've come close.

I went to the medical center years ago from being so sea sick and there was a line of over 200 in front of me. Granted, this was in the late 90's (so about 12 years years ago) but clearly remembered that it was $75...cannot imagine it would have gone up to $250 ...but hey, maybe.

The recpetionist suggested going to the boutique (I got the last pair) and buying seabands and ginger. That did it for me...didn't even need to spend the $75. I am now the poster child for seabands ...although some think it is a gimmick.....they will never convince me of that.

I have horrible motion sickness so I start taking Meclizine two days prior to boarding and I take it twice a day: once in the morning and again before dinner. This has helped me greatly as I didn't take it early enough on our very first cruise, so I was green until it kicked in and when we sailed through some hurricane bands in 2005 I got sick but felt better once I had some food in my stomach that stayed down. It's better to focus on prevention rather than have to cure it once it sets in.

I am very prone to sea sickness. We've been on 30+ cruises, and I got sooooo sea sick on our first cruise. I had to go to the infirmary, and get a shot as well as some meds to take by mouth.

Warning, do everything you can to keep from getting the shot. It made me so sleepy and so washed out for two days. Once the sea sickness starts, it's hard to stop it while out at sea.

My secrets to preventing seasickness:

1) Find a medication that works well with your body. I don't like Meclazine or Bonine. They make me rather "grumpy". Trip Tone works best for me.

Alot of scuba diving retailers carry this.

2) Start taking your medication before you get on the ship. At least 24-48 hours.

3) Take 1/2 doses at the beginning and see how you feel. If you feel a little uneasy after you start sailing, then take the remaining dose. This helps you not feel as sleepy.

4) Sea Bands - I can't say enough about these. They are wonderful.

5) Ginger helps, but it doesn't work on me alone. I have to use something else with it.

6) Don't let your stomach get empty. Feed it carbs - like crackers, bread - if the seas are rough.

We were on some of the roughest waters last month around the Bay of Biscayne on our Crown Princess cruise.. I brought my Trip Tone, but forgot my sea bands (haven't used them since I had morning sickness a few years back). I found the sea bands and ginger at the gift shop.

As long as I kept the trip tone, ginger, and sea bands going, I was fine.

My MIL bought the sea bands too, and it make her feel much better during the rough ride for 2 days!

Just come prepared, and don't think about it too much. If you do, you will end up getting sea sick!!!

Patti

I, too, find the wrist bands and ginger work great. I love that I don't get sick with Bonine, but I also suffer from 2 days of being unable to keep my eyes open, as well as amnesia from the time I was on it. Neither of these side-effects are desirable. Non-drowsy Dramimine might be better. I'll try it.

I'm surprised they don't provide free motion sickness pills. The last 2 cruises I was on had them in a big bowl, like a candy dish, for free.

May I sugest the wrist bands you can buy they are inexpensive and worked for me.The first two days of my first ever cuise and I felt dreadfull was at the point of visiting the doctor when a crewe member suggested the bands and within 30 mins felt completely better. At least give them a go better than putting chemicals into your body, okay they don't suit evening dresses but I put them on as soon as we sail take them off for dinner and then back on after dinner is over, personally I sleep with them on then as you are on land or docked all day you don't need them. They are my saviours buy some before you go worst case senerio go to see the doctor.:rolleyes:

Question: I've been on several cruises before, taken the ferry around Staten Island, and the ferry to Alcatraz. None of these have been in very rough waters, that I recall. I also don't get sick when flying, reading in a car, or driving through a canyon. Has anyone heard of anyone getting sea sick after doing all of these things without incident?

Thanks,

Question: I've been on several cruises before, taken the ferry around Staten Island, and the ferry to Alcatraz. None of these have been in very rough waters, that I recall. I also don't get sick when flying, reading in a car, or driving through a canyon. Has anyone heard of anyone getting sea sick after doing all of these things without incident?

Thanks,

I don't get seasick, or car sick, or air sick. But we did sail once years ago very close to a hurricane that hit the first night after we set sail. I have to tell you, that was the longest 24 hours of my life................and yes, I was very seasick (that is after getting knocked out of bed at 1:00 AM before getting my sealegs when the storm hit, and I mean knocked right out of bed onto the floor in an aft cabin). It showed me I will never travel without seasick meds again, just in case we ever run into something like this again.

Archived