Trip insurance from credit card?

mkkao924

Hi,

I am wondering what's the difference between the trip insurance from cruise line (out of pocket) and the trip insurance free credit card (free). I know it's easier to claim with cruise line, but what are the other benefit? I am sure there are a ton, but I just don't know what they are.

Thanks,

Scott

probably best to call both parties and get the questions answered by them. I have a Scotiabank Gold passporter Visa (Canadian) it offers great travel and out of country medical so I always use this. There are some better third party plans to consider

Hi,

I am wondering what's the difference between the trip insurance from cruise line (out of pocket) and the trip insurance free credit card (free). I know it's easier to claim with cruise line, but what are the other benefit? I am sure there are a ton, but I just don't know what they are.

Thanks,

Scott

The only way to tell the difference is if you name the cruise line and post a link to the credit card info. otherwise it's just guesswork,

The only way to tell the difference is if you name the cruise line and post a link to the credit card info. otherwise it's just guesswork,

Sorry, should have done this the first time.

The cruise line is Princess, and here is the description.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Princess_Vacation_Protection

My credit card is Citi Premier Pass - Elite (US card)

https://mycitipremierpass.citicards.com/usc/sitelet/premierpass/portal/premierpass_elite.html

the only travel insurance benefits i'm seeing through the credit card are:

Protection and assistance in all four corners of the world.

• Automatic Travel Accident Insurance

• Auto Rental Insurance Services

• Lost Luggage Insurance

• Travel Assistance Services

no medical, no emergency evacuation, no trip cancellation, no trip interruption, no trip delay.

i think you're comparing apples and oranges here.

We have used http://www.medexassist.com/ in the past. They have a package comparable to whatever the cruise line offers and it is only $42/2 weeks of coverage. They are highly recommended and wonderful customer service.

from their product page http://www.medexassist.com/Individuals/Products/AllProducts.aspx

I'm not seeing any plan they offer that includes trip cancellation, trip interruption, or trip delay coverages so unless i'm overlooking something they are not, in fact, comparable to the cruise line plans that all include those benefits. This doesn't mean it's not a good deal -- it is if you don't need or want the other coverages the cruise line plans include.

the only travel insurance benefits i'm seeing through the credit card are:

Protection and assistance in all four corners of the world.

• Automatic Travel Accident Insurance

• Auto Rental Insurance Services

• Lost Luggage Insurance

• Travel Assistance Services

no medical, no emergency evacuation, no trip cancellation, no trip interruption, no trip delay.

i think you're comparing apples and oranges here.

Cruiseco,

Thank you for the answer. That's why I am so confused. I thought Travel Accident Insurance would include medical and/or emergency evacuation. Apparently I was wrong.

It does provide trip cancellation/interruption though

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/speedbumpDisclosure.do?screenID=1270

Thanks,

Scott

Cruiseco,

Thank you for the answer. That's why I am so confused. I thought Travel Accident Insurance would include medical and/or emergency evacuation. Apparently I was wrong.

It does provide trip cancellation/interruption though

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/speedbumpDisclosure.do?screenID=1270

Thanks,

Scott

Oops . . . didn't find that additional info. It looks like $1500 of cancellation/interruption coverage is included if you charge the trip on that card. You should probably find the full description of coverage to see what's covered and what's not.

You need to get a clarification from them but usually "travel accident" coverage is a form of AD&D which is designed to pay a benefit for loss of life or dismemberment. It usually does not cover any medical expenses associated with that loss or evacuation coverage. Lose an arm, get $10,000 -- that sort of thing. But it would not pay for the medical bills associated with losing the arm. Any time you see "accident" instead of something like "illness or accident" there is usually no coverage for losses due to an illness. So if you're killed by a bus during your trip it would pay off whatever the amount the death benefit is -- that's an accident. But if you die because of a heart attack it wouldn't -- that's not an accident.

Oops . . . didn't find that additional info. It looks like $1500 of cancellation/interruption coverage is included if you charge the trip on that card. You should probably find the full description of coverage to see what's covered and what's not.

You need to get a clarification from them but usually "travel accident" coverage is a form of AD&D which is designed to pay a benefit for loss of life or dismemberment. It usually does not cover any medical expenses associated with that loss or evacuation coverage. Lose an arm, get $10,000 -- that sort of thing. But it would not pay for the medical bills associated with losing the arm. Any time you see "accident" instead of something like "illness or accident" there is usually no coverage for losses due to an illness. So if you're killed by a bus during your trip it would pay off whatever the amount the death benefit is -- that's an accident. But if you die because of a heart attack it wouldn't -- that's not an accident.

It's much more clear to me now. I guess for my need, I would want to purchase medical/evacuation coverage only. Is such policy ever existed or they are always bundled together?

It's much more clear to me now. I guess for my need, I would want to purchase medical/evacuation coverage only. Is such policy ever existed or they are always bundled together?

You can go to one of the comparison sites and just enter $0 when asked for the trip cost you want to insure. This will give you a premium for all of the other benefits of the plan without the trip cancellation and usually without the trip interruption. For example, with the Travelex Select plan you'd get $50K medical and $500,000 evac coverage for:

If up to 34: $20

35 - 50: $26

51 - 60: $33

and so forth. Note that they do tack on an $8 per policy (not per person) fee on top of that.

It will probably be bundled with some coverages you might not need but the price is cheap enough that it's no big deal.

But be advised that many policies do not start coverage until your trip date if you put in a $0 cost. That is fine, absolutely, if nothing happens between purchase and trip. And for many people, nothing will, so it is a viable choice.

But if an unexpected medical condition should occur in-between purchase and your trip start, it then becomes a pre-existing condition to the effective date of the policy. If something should happen onboard caused by that condition, your onboard medical coverage could be limited. If you instead insure $500 (rates are the same for $1-$500), it does increase your costs to $32/$42/$49 for the same age brackets, but you also get the $500 cancellation coverage and your policy coverage starts the day after purchase.

You may choose not to spend the extra $12-$16 for this, and that is fine. After all, every little addition to coverage for age, or amount, or type of policy adds up and everyone has to make a choice as to what and how much is needed every time they purchase insurance. Just be aware of the policy start date differences when insuring a zero trip cost.

Thank you cherylandtk, it's an important information to us.

Is pregnancy a pre-existing condition? If my wife get pregnant between now and cruise tour, will this become a problem? Like I mentioned before, we have trip cancellation/interruption coverage from credit card, and we should be covered. My only concern here is, in case my wife get pregnant, and if we encounter a medical condition on board, will the policy cover us if I put $0 as trip cost?

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you cherylandtk, it's an important information to us.

Is pregnancy a pre-existing condition? If my wife get pregnant between now and cruise tour, will this become a problem? Like I mentioned before, we have trip cancellation/interruption coverage from credit card, and we should be covered. My only concern here is, in case my wife get pregnant, and if we encounter a medical condition on board, will the policy cover us if I put $0 as trip cost?

Thanks,

Scott

Don't assume anything about your trip cancellation coverage through your credit card. If you cancel due to a pregnancy you might be covered or you might not. Call them.

Some (but not all) plans do not consider a normal pregnancy to be an illness. So an unforeseen complication that pops up is considered a new problem starting at that point, not dating back to the start of the pregnancy. Others are tougher on this.

One Travelex plan has this general exclusion:

"Loss caused by or resulting from:

14. Pregnancy and childbirth (except for complications of pregnancy) except if hospitalized"

So anything short of hospitalization may or may not not be an illness/sickness that would be covered under the normal terms of the policy.

UNLESS you live in Montana for which there is the following state-specific exception:

"MONTANA

Form SRTC 2200-MT

If you reside in the state of MONTANA:

1. The definition of sickness is amended to read: Sickness means an illness or disease, including pregnancy, that is diagnosed or treated by a Physician after the Effective Date of insurance and while You are covered under the Policy."

So for Montana residents, pregnancy is treated the same as any other sickness. Which means the normal pre-existing condition exclusions would also apply.

These types of exclusions and exceptions mean that there are really no accurate general answers to these types of questions other than what the insurer will give you. Pick a plan, make up a list of questions and call them.

Archived