Has anyone been on a taster cruise before?

I'm a bit concerned that MDR etc will be closed at lunch when in port and as we are in port for the entire cruise how much of the "cruise experience" are we going to miss out on? It is a 3 night trip Southampton to Le Havre. I would like to know what will be open during the day / evening? I understand that shops don't open in port so does that mean the promenade will be completely closed? :(

• kids clubs?
  • ice rink?
  • promenade cafe?
  • on board activities?

What I'm asking is, what is the highlight of your RCL cruises and will we be able to experience it or will we be missing out?

We are hoping to spend most of our time on the ship as it is the ship that will be the highlight (we obviously will get off at some point so the children can practise their French and I can call /text DH

Never been on a 3 day anywhere other than Calif. But here is my experience.

The windjammer is open of lunch buffet, the MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day. I never eat breakfast or lunch in the MDR so dont know the schedule.

Kids club sign ups are on the 1st day but dont know about activities, but you probably want to be with the kids to explore the ship, which can take a while.

We get to the ship very early like 9:30-10:00 that way we are on board and enjoying our ship the minute they board.

Once you get on board you will see how easy it is to get into "cruise ship mode" There will be alot of literature in you cabin to help you plan your 3 days.

Try not to stress too much about doing everything, or missing something. Im sure you and the kids will have a great time, and be ready to book a longer cruise when you get home.:)

Sorry forgot to mention that the promenade is and "open space" and is always accessible. The shops, bars, and eateries have hours, but are open more than they are closed, except for the shops that are only open when at sea, but you will find that is plenty of time to browse and purchase.

The ice rink also has hours for free skate (long pant required), and they have scheduled show times. All this will also be in the cruise compass.

I've never been on a 3-day cruise either, but have definitely skipped ports and spent the day on the ship. Kids clubs will be open as will a number of activities. While the shops are closed, the Promanade is open (including the Cafe). Spa is also open and there are bargains to be had during port days.

For me, I love having the pool area pretty much to myself (except for the enlightened few who also enjoy the relative solitude). Have been on many cruises but, truthfully, have only had lunch in the MDR twice ever, so it is definitely not something I ever miss. It is open for breakfast every day, so no problem there - although, again, I prefer just grabbing what I want at the buffet (not a morning person and don't particularly feel like socializing then).

Archived