5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

My five for what they're worth

1. Don't spend money on a cabin, when you can spend it on yourself

2. If in doubt,ask. Staff and other cruisers will more than happily steer you right or offer advice.

3. It's not always possible to do everything on board that you want to do.

4. Take a change of clothes in your hand luggage, especially when your Caribbean bound. You won't want to walking the decks in a pairs of jeans and the reverse applies on returning home. Particularly if it's an Xmas cruise.

5. Ship trips are expensive, check out CC about 6/7 months prior to sailing to see if anyone is doing something you'd like to be part of.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just read this again - so many good tips even for old hands! It's a while since I read it through and was surprised by how many things I'd forgotten. And so many good laughs too!

One or two more:

A passenger behind me in the queue for security at the airport had her liquids in a clear plastic zipped makeup bag - so much better and more substantial than the floppy sandwich style bags I've been using. Going to buy one now.

Thanet direct do some excellent cheap clear plastic luggage labels which are reusable and you can fold your paper labels at put them inside - they don't get ripped off or torn.

Used my Halifax Clarity card whilst away last week - no transaction charge and I got €1.40 exchange rate!! Either there was a spike in the rate whilst we were away or that was much better than the best non commission rate we saw on the High Street before and after our trip.

Just read this again - so many good tips even for old hands! It's a while since I read it through and was surprised by how many things I'd forgotten. And so many good laughs too!

One or two more:

A passenger behind me in the queue for security at the airport had her liquids in a clear plastic zipped makeup bag - so much better and more substantial than the floppy sandwich style bags I've been using. Going to buy one now.

Thanet direct do some excellent cheap clear plastic luggage labels which are reusable and you can fold your paper labels at put them inside - they don't get ripped off or torn.

Used my Halifax Clarity card whilst away last week - no transaction charge and I got €1.40 exchange rate!! Either there was a spike in the rate whilst we were away or that was much better than the best non commission rate we saw on the High Street before and after our trip.

I have pre-booked some visits in Venice direct with Doges Palace and the Basilica using my Halifax Clarity Card and when my statement came I got a very good rate too. Pity it took 36 minutes on the phone today to register with Halifax that I would be using it abroad in 3 countries.

Boots have a pack of 3 clear plastic zipped bags, the largest with handles, the smallest ideal to put liquids in. £8.00

Thanks Jakanne for the Boots tip - will follow that one up.

(Know what you mean about Halifax on the phone but if you have more than one trip in the pipe line they will accept details all in one go and for a good while into the future - may save another call.)

Thanks Jakanne for the Boots tip - will follow that one up.

(Know what you mean about Halifax on the phone but if you have more than one trip in the pipe line they will accept details all in one go and for a good while into the future - may save another call.)

Yes, Kruzseeka, they took my next two visits abroad too. The Baltic cruise caused a problem as there are so many different countries and the lady on the phone needed help with the spelling.

Have started reading this today from the beginning and it is one of the funniest threads we've read. Laughed out loud ---- brilliant.

If you have nooooo idea what I am talking about read the stuff about teeth at the beginning ..:D

Have started reading this today from the beginning and it is one of the funniest threads we've read. Laughed out loud ---- brilliant.

If you have nooooo idea what I am talking about read the stuff about teeth at the beginning ..:D

Which reminds me......... don't forget the Fixodent!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow this thread is still going over five years old now!

I'm back, been P&O cruising for past couple years but back to Thomson and off next week on Majesty with grandson who is 15 in three weeks and towers above me :D and

Babypops is now six and almost as tall as me too haha yes really :D

Well I must think of some more tips for you all. The one about taking looser clothes for the latter part of your cruises is important to take into account as the sea air definitely shrinks clothes - every cruise I go on it happens :rolleyes:

I noticed the old link I posted for Hyacinth Bucket's cruise episode of Keeping Up Appearances no longer works so here's another:

Onslow's line at the end is an absolute classic and tickles me every time I watch it!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O018cGoijd8

Edited by grannypops

• 1 month later...
Sorry can't stop myself!

Make up a first aid kit - you could put it all in a plastic bag then, to save taking up space in your suitcase, put it in the plastic lunch box that you're taking with you for buffet pilfering?

I take everything cos, even if you can find it abroad, it will be expensive and a palaver trying to find a local chemist. The ship's doctor costs.

Take a few essentials plasters (for the blisters from the new sandals you bought!) antiseptic spray, painkillers, rehydration sachets, bellyache/heartburn medicine (for when you get sick from all that rich food you will eat on the ship), Calpol if you're taking children - can't imagine being able to get that easily abroad...

I'm totally loving your advice!! It's all good, I will take note and I'm sure you're not really a dipso!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
The major thing I wish I'd known (very many years ago... sweet 16) was that Sloe Gin tasted lots better going down than coming up. :o..:D

LuLu

When I first had sloe gin, I made the mistake of not thinking it was not very alcoholic. :o I totally agree with you :halo:

Cabin 131 on Spirit and Celebration deck 7 has a platform to the left of the window where the crew often work and obviously the cabin on the port side too It was a real shock for me when I got out of bed stark naked on a sea day when Hubble had opened the curtains - luckily they didn't see me

• 3 weeks later...