5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

A couple of things that would not have occurred to me on doing a hotel holiday.

When I was leaning over the ship's rail and watching the sea go past I realised that if my specs fell off there is no way I'm getting them back. So now I always bring my 2nd pair.

And the same might happen to false teeth if you don't keep your mouth closed or put enough Ploygrip on.

Berwyn

Hahahah Berwyn love it! :D

Hahahah Berwyn love it! :D

Yes keep the mouth shut if looking over the side . :D The thing is I've only got 2 on a plate but they're the top 2 right in the front. I''d look good going round all week with a gap in the front. That's why I now bring spare ones.

Berwyn

Berwyn

False teeth flying out, imagine being sat in your cabin and seeing someones gnashers flying past. A quick examination of the restaurant at dinner would soon track down the culprit. It's the one eating the soup and trifle.

Jan

hahahaha :D that made me smile!

Granny was on a cruise and one sea day she was leaning over the rail of the ship watching the waves when suddenly her false gnashers flew out and splash! they landed in the sea. It was the gala dinner that evening - now she woudn't be able to go and meet the Captain and she would miss the chance of eating all that lovely food.... she'd have to live on soup and trifle for the next week... arrrgghh!!

Luckily a fellow passenger saw what had happened and came to her aid... "Don't worry my dear" he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a pair of false teeth. "Try these" The old lady tried them. "Too loose," she said. The man then said, "no problem, I have another pair, try these". So she tried them but shook her head, "Too tight" The man was not taken back at all. He then said, "I have one more pair, here try them". "Wow" granny said, "They fit perfectly!" and she went off happily knowing she was going to have a great evening.

After the dinner was over, granny went over to thank again the man who had helped her. "I want to thank you for coming to my aid. Where is your surgery? I've been looking for a good dentist for ages" The man laughed and replied: "I'm not a dentist. I'm an undertaker" :D :D :D

Grannypops!! hahahaha!

I feel sick, lol. I was just drinking a glass of coke when I read your post. I thought you were being serious until the last sentence. I nearly choked myself :)

Back to tips:-

Ask at reception for a deck plan of the ship. On the Island Escape the Thomson reps had them under the counter.

I haven't seen them but apparently you can buy plastic over the door shoe holders for the wardrobe and you can use them for other things as well, such as make up, socks etc. Maybe a bit over the top but I can see it.

Jan

Don't collapse on me Jan, it's my night off :D

Those shoe holder things are very popular with the American cruisers. Along with Duct tape, (whatever that is), along with anti bacterial wipes to clean out drawers etc. Seems OTT to me.

You need a few bugs to build up immunity

Berwyn

Some Very good tips there peoples..keep them coming :D

One I always use, Tip the Bar waiter on the 1st night..you wont go far wrong when in a Q and waiting for a drink ;)

Berwyn, Duct tape is what you use for sealing ducts from escaping airflow when working on HVAC

Edited by Rebel Rouser

Went on the Calypso 3 years ago! I was rushing and didn't check!

The nile cruise the year before with Thomson's was also excellent - make sure you go on a 4 star boat

Have now been on the Spirit twice (med and red sea) and are off on Pharaohs and Promised Land tomorrow - thanks to everyone for the tips

We are looking forward to going to the gardens in Haifa on the no 22 bus!

Don't collapse on me Jan, it's my night off :D

Those shoe holder things are very popular with the American cruisers. Along with Duct tape, (whatever that is), along with anti bacterial wipes to clean out drawers etc. Seems OTT to me.

You need a few bugs to build up immunity

Berwyn

duct tape

duct-tape.jpg

That's a big roll of tape :D. The Americans are obsessed with taking it on holiday, even cutting strips and sticking it on the inside lid of the suitcase. Their cases must be rubbish if they keep splitting and have to be repaired with duct tape.:D

Jan

I bought a pair of 99p shop binoculars and a compass and my grandson had fun using them spying land.

We used to watch the ship's webcam on the cabin tv while we were in there getting ready morning and eve it would have been great if there was a map on the screen showing where we currently were positioned too.

I always take mini torches like those that fit on a keyring on our hols just in case you're somewhere and the power goes at night :eek:

When you go ashore on your own (even just for a short walk) just in case you get distracted and forget the time, or get lost or something worse, take a copy of Cruise News with you, it has information on it such as ship's departure time and the ship's telephone number and the local agent's number - for when the ship has sailed without you presumably :eek:

Also, the first day's copy has a picture of the ship on the front (or there are postcards of the ship available for 50 pence at Reception desk) so you can wave the picture of the ship in front of any non-English speaking locals like taxi drivers' noses so they know you need to get to the port without you having to imitate a ship :D

Just how would you imitate a ship anyway? :confused: sit on the ground and make rowing movements?? hahahaha

Hahaha - must have missed this post - given me quite a few giggles - dentures, spectales, all being thrown overboard - nothing about men being thrown though :eek:

Yes, I know what you mean about the luggage - we did the Carribean back in Dec 2008, was great apart from the clothes situation the night before - as I love to party into the early hours - i couldnt wear what I wanted - must have looked a tramp in comparrison to other nights :eek:

I have now bought myself a travel suitcase - something I have never done in my entire life - but for cruise it is a must - well in my case I think it is.

You should see the things I pack - jewellery - hair accessories - nail varnish - glitter - the list is endless - and all because I never know what I am going to wear so always have to have a selection.

Same goes for my cocktails too :eek: :D ;)

I only wish that I had known that I was going to love it :D for years my hubby tried to get me to cruise and I always refused till about a few years ago then thought I would give it a try :rolleyes: and low and behold I dont want to go anywhere else :eek:

mrs.c

I only wish that I had known that I was going to love it :D for years my hubby tried to get me to cruise and I always refused till about a few years ago then thought I would give it a try :rolleyes: and low and behold I dont want to go anywhere else :eek:

mrs.c

Ahh mrs.c I feel the same - I don't want to go to a hotel and stay in just one place anymore, I like to travel around on touring hols (can you imagine me on the Coach Trip programme??:eek: hahahha) and it's great to not have to keep packing and unpacking moving between hotels.

I just wish I had the time and means to go on a world cruise - now that would be something wouldn't it :cool:

maybe one day when I am greatgrannypops :D

The luggage weight restrictions is important to adhere to as they do make you pay if you're over the 23kg - Those hand held luggage scales are useful if you can lift 23kg up by on its hook - I know I can't :( - but I notice Argos sell self weighing trolleycases now :)

Now that is clever :D

mrs.c

And if you really wanted to this size one will fit as your handluggage . A bit heavy though for that as it takes up nearly half the weight of hand baggage allowance.What next. Thanks for the headsup Grannypops.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2863568.htm

Berwyn

Edited by Cymro1953
correction

Sorry can't stop myself!

Make up a first aid kit - you could put it all in a plastic bag then, to save taking up space in your suitcase, put it in the plastic lunch box that you're taking with you for buffet pilfering?

I take everything cos, even if you can find it abroad, it will be expensive and a palaver trying to find a local chemist. The ship's doctor costs.

Take a few essentials plasters (for the blisters from the new sandals you bought!) antiseptic spray, painkillers, rehydration sachets, bellyache/heartburn medicine (for when you get sick from all that rich food you will eat on the ship), Calpol if you're taking children - can't imagine being able to get that easily abroad...

im with you about chemists not just abroad but you can guarantee if you are away and get sick it will be miles from anywhere or a long weekend etc. so now i take all the basics with me pain killers antiseptic bandaids stuff for cold and flu and vomitting and diorheaa been caught too many times doesnt matter if i bring it all back if i didnt take it murphys law i would need it