5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

Hahaha - must have missed this post - given me quite a few giggles - dentures, spectales, all being thrown overboard - nothing about men being thrown though :eek:

Yes, I know what you mean about the luggage - we did the Carribean back in Dec 2008, was great apart from the clothes situation the night before - as I love to party into the early hours - i couldnt wear what I wanted - must have looked a tramp in comparrison to other nights :eek:

I have now bought myself a travel suitcase - something I have never done in my entire life - but for cruise it is a must - well in my case I think it is.

You should see the things I pack - jewellery - hair accessories - nail varnish - glitter - the list is endless - and all because I never know what I am going to wear so always have to have a selection.

Same goes for my cocktails too :eek: :D ;)

you must give us a heads up for every cruise your going on and cabin number so we can come borrow what we forget to pack. hey you could start your own onboard unoficial business to fix us all up for the glam nights.

The main thing we hadn't bargained for before our first cuise was that most men DO actually wear dinner jackets!!! I would go so far as to say you would struggle to appear over-dressed.

I take one of those plastic rings with pegs attached, very useful for drying smalls and swimsuits in the shower cubicle and very quick and easy to move when you want to use the shower.

Pack a change of clothes and mini toiletries in your hand luggage so you can freshen up and change for dinner without needing to wait for your case to arrive. Twice we have had to go to dinner in our travelling clothes.

Carol x

never mind just for cruising i always pack a pair of undies and clean top for both hubby and i in our carry on you never know when you might need it . took us 4 days to get back from the uk once because of plane breakdowns etc. no fun washing your undies every night at the hotel. plus you never no when you or someone else on the plane is going to spill something all over you. yes it happens, deoderant and a toothbrush are also a good idea

And if you really wanted to this size one will fit as your handluggage . A bit heavy though for that as it takes up nearly half the weight of hand baggage allowance.What next. Thanks for the headsup Grannypops.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2863568.htm

Berwyn

You're most welcome :) I want a couple of the large ones myself but bet by the time they come back in stock they'll be full price again:(

You're most welcome :) I want a couple of the large ones myself but bet by the time they come back in stock they'll be full price again:(

It's always the same, anything that looks a good idea is out of stock, or if clothes not in your size, but every other size you can think of.

Lovely new piccies of you both and thanks for the comment on the burgers.

Berwyn

Hi wotaripper

Welcome to Thomsons forum. Good tip about the undies. Best to pack the best ones though, you never know when customs are going to root through your baggage. :D:D

Jan

you must give us a heads up for every cruise your going on and cabin number so we can come borrow what we forget to pack. hey you could start your own onboard unoficial business to fix us all up for the glam nights.

Hahahahaha, now that really did make me laugh :D

Funny you should say that - as when I have been on holiday with my friends - they only pack the basics as they know if they forget anything - I have always got it, lol :rolleyes:

Think the worst part is having to take my own hairdryer - as my hair is quite long and very thick and takes ages to dry - so need to bring my own - as the cabin one does nothing for my hair :mad:

Unfortuantely, that is just me - will never change, I may be 40 but have been told I do not look it, and certainly (for my sins!!!) do not act it :eek: ;)

Well, my signature does show you which cruises I am sailing this year - so if anyone wants to join me, feel free - and will let you know my cabin no - only females though, haha.

Just checked that link - is this one a small one then - or do they sell them bigger.

How is your case measured with this?

:rolleyes:

Just checked that link - is this one a small one then - or do they sell them bigger.

How is your case measured with this?

:rolleyes:

Hi Mandie,

They've got 3 sizes, 2 larger ones and the one that is hand luggage size. But it weighs 2.9KG that's nearly half the hand luggage allowance :eek:

I'm not sure how big the bigger ones are. I usually judge by looking at them in the shop and lifting them to test for weight.

Berwyn

It's always the same, anything that looks a good idea is out of stock, or if clothes not in your size, but every other size you can think of.

Lovely new piccies of you both and thanks for the comment on the burgers.

Berwyn

Hi berwyn

Wheres the photos of grannypops - I'm curious now....

Flopsy

erm... I'll take that as a compliment :):D

We don't have all have blue rinses and carry our knitting around with us nowadays hahaha ;)

Yes Definitely,

Grannys when I was young all had grey hair and wrinkles. Definitely didn't look like you.

Lovely dress, can I ask where you got it, (for DW notme).:D:D

She's really bothered about Captain's Night and wants to skip it, even though what she wore for the formal evenings on the June cruise was lovely.

She's been looking for stuff, but as usual nothing doing.

Berwyn

Yes Definitely,

Grannys when I was young all had grey hair and wrinkles. Definitely didn't look like you.

Lovely dress, can I ask where you got it, (for DW notme).:D:D

She's really bothered about Captain's Night and wants to skip it, even though what she wore for the formal evenings on the June cruise was lovely.

She's been looking for stuff, but as usual nothing doing.

Berwyn

It depends on whether she is fussy or not, but I buy off ebay, mostly new stuff - sometimes if good quality I will buy if worn.

you can't get dressy clothes in big girls sizes easily at good prices easily in the shops. so I scour eBay for bargains.

That dress is lovely it has layers of chiffon bought on eBay for £4 or £5 ca't remember, it arrived new and unworn with the tags on, the sequin bolero 99p eBay, bag £2 (reduced in sale) Tesco, sandals £7.99 shoe express. No need to pay designer prices unless you want to.

You can search by size, and for new or used items. I put in a searc term of cruise and came up with lots of outfits and dresses ladies had bought for cruises and either not worn or worn once.

Have had many real bargains, some ladies buy stuff and then never wear it so they sell on eBay and of course it's a buyers market on there so to speak now.

I would never pay £100+ for a dress to only wear once - more money left then to spend on holidays and the children/grandchildren :D may not be everyone's taste but I don't mind - wasn't always as well off as we are now but still don't like to waste money :)

you can't get dressy clothes in big girls sizes easily at good prices easily in the shops.

Hi Grannypops,

Tell me about it. She's always complaining about it.

She even went to the "skinny" side in Outfit the other day to what they had that they weren't making in the bigger sizes.

Thank you for the info.

Berwyn

Yes, the high st shops like Evans (who are in Outfit (the burton group) who do larger sizes don't do anything suitable really for the capatain's gala dinner -it's all casual wear or office wear - except for in the run up to Christmas there's a few sparkly tops and stuff. I like to dress up for dinner when on holiday and have got a wardroble in a spare room just for my fancy stuff and accessories and if I went through it, a very high percentage I have amassed from eBay to honest at a fraction of the original price. Tip: search for uk only or you get a lot of tat from china come up in the womenswear and jewellery categories

Yes, the high st shops like Evans (who are in Outfit (the burton group) who do larger sizes don't do anything suitable really for the capatain's gala dinner -it's all casual wear or office wear - except for in the run up to Christmas there's a few sparkly tops and stuff. I like to dress up for dinner when on holiday and have got a wardroble in a spare room just for my fancy stuff and accessories and if I went through it, a very high percentage I have amassed from eBay to honest at a fraction of the original price. Tip: search for uk only or you get a lot of tat from china come up in the womenswear and jewellery categories

HI,

Yes, we've got 2 branches of Evans and never anything suitable.

Thanks for the Ebay tip. She's OK for jewellery, she makes her own. And can do it to match the outfit.

You're lucky to have the spare room. The eldest left but came back :(

And the youngest is away but has not been gone long, but she's got designs on his room for something :D

Berwyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymro1953 viewpost.gif

And if you really wanted to this size one will fit as your handluggage . A bit heavy though for that as it takes up nearly half the weight of hand baggage allowance.What next. Thanks for the headsup Grannypops.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/2863568.htm

Berwyn

OK own up, who bought them all?? :D hahahha I had an email from Argos tonight saying they had more stock in, but by the time I went to order they were all gone again doh! :(

I don't know what what anyone else thinks? are they a good deal? I am actually wondering if the weighing part of these will continue to work after a few rounds with the baggage handlers?

Take deck or pool shoes with some tread on as I nearly went flying on patches of wet on deck wearing flip-flops. I had a cup of tea in my hand on one occasion which could have been nasty. You can't see the wet patches so it comes as a bit of a shock when you slip.

Jan

OK own up, who bought them all?? :D hahahha I had an email from Argos tonight saying they had more stock in, but by the time I went to order they were all gone again doh! :(

I don't know what what anyone else thinks? are they a good deal? I am actually wondering if the weighing part of these will continue to work after a few rounds with the baggage handlers?

No it definitely wasn't me :D

Got too many cases already and got my scales too.

Good point about them working after playing the baggage handlers seeing the state some of ours have been in.

Berwyn

Good point about them working after playing the baggage handlers seeing the state some of ours have been in.

Berwyn

I never gave that a thought :eek: as mine has come through with wheels off and other bits missing ,I,m sure the scales wont work for long :rolleyes: will stick to the digi scales we have :D

mrs.c

Wish someone had told us when you are on a back to back cruise you don't need to do the lifeboat drill the 2nd week!!

Ann

Thanks for that tip - we're doing our first back to back - excellent news.

1) Part of the fun is learning something new each cruise to take to the next one.

2) Take a thermos cup so you can fill it to your hearts content and take the coffee anywhere - that's the OH

3) Don't pack anything that is figure hugging as it won't fit by the end of the week

4) Remove at least 2 pairs of shoes and 3 outfits - you won't need them

5) Make sure that you ask for seconds at the baked alaska - another of the OH tips

Jan

Saw this thread on another forum and thought it was a great idea but it would be better if it was Thomson specific. Best tip I saw was if you are on an inside cabin switch the TV to onboard camera and leave it on all night. That way when you wake up you'll know if it's daylight.

Hi Ekco!

Thanks for starting this thread. I have really learned a lot from reading through all the tips that have been posted - not to mention the laughs we've had from some! :D I like the above tip as I we are in an inside cabin. I will also need to have a light on as I hate the pitch dark! Thanks to all for their input. Being our first cruise I don't have any tips. :cool:

Hi Ekco!

Thanks for starting this thread. I have really learned a lot from reading through all the tips that have been posted - not to mention the laughs we've had from some! :D I like the above tip as I we are in an inside cabin. I will also need to have a light on as I hate the pitch dark! Thanks to all for their input. Being our first cruise I don't have any tips. :cool:

Thanks Moto9. Glad you've enjoyed the thread. I think we've all learnt something from the great tips that have been posted. When you read them you can't believe you didn't think of them yourself. :D

Poundworld have luggage scales in stock for, guess what!, a pound!! Just after we've paid £2.99. AND they go up to 35kg.

Jan