Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

Perfect - that's how I felt!

So 800 pictures in a week isn't normal?

I've been on 8 cruises and still take a TON of pictures... but I also do that at home so... I think it's normal (my DH on the other hand thinks I am crazy). :D I'm already trying to figure out which camera(s) to bring and if I should buy an underwater (really, really want one). :)

• Like 1

That is low for me. I average about 250 a day. ;) On our major trips (Med / British Isles / Australia / etc) I have been know to take in excess of 5,000 pics. :D

I like it! The Med cruises have definitely been photo-fests!!! Isn't that why God invented digital cameras, extra SD cards and extra camera batteries?? :D

My DH bought me my first digital camera for our first Med cruise. I had a Canon Rebel (film) and was soooo nervous to leave that one behind and that the digital just wouldn't work the same/take amazing pix. We ended up buying extra cards overseas (now always bring extra cards along)!!!

LOVE me some great pictures!!! My favorite souvenir!:)

Getting stung with 'The Welcome Aboard Cocktail'..... you know that nice one many people think is free when the waiter with the tray of nice drinks approaches you prior to sailaway and your just finding you way round.

'Welcome Aboard Cocktail Mam / Sir'...... Oh yes please - how wonderful .... how nice ....... 'Sign here please Mam / Sir'...... ouch too late you've taken a large sip through the straw..... $6.95 plus tip ..... make that times 2 as your better half has done likewise.....

This is good to know since I've seen many people talking about the welcome aboard mimosas offered and just assumed they were complimentary as you might expect at a 4-5 star hotel/resort we've stayed at before.

This is good to know since I've seen many people talking about the welcome aboard mimosas offered and just assumed they were complimentary as you might expect at a 4-5 star hotel/resort we've stayed at before.

A classic dodge here is that they put them in "souvenir glasses" which you are automagically charged for as well, so your "welcome aboard" drink is frequently $10 or more.

Depends on the cruise line. Celebrity offers a complimentary glass of champagne, a mimosa or fruit juice to all passengers at embarkation.

• Like 1

Women who carry their big purses around all day. You're at sea. You don't need anything in that bag.

I second the cruise card on a lanyard around the neck thing too. To me that's a sure sign someone is new to cruising.

Going to breakfast in your PJ's or bathrobe.

Oh, trust me, I've seen some very experienced cruisers do that. I just want to walk up to them and say, "Do you not realize how utterly ridiculous you look?" But I'm pretty sure they don't even care.

Here's one: standing in the atrium and looking up and saying "W-o-o-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w-w" and taking videos of the elevators.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

Don't be too quick to judge.

Oceania has a "wear your robe to breakfast" day on almost every cruise.

Everyone including the captain dressed in the ship's white bathrobes and the dining room is a "sea" of white.

Also many people go for a dip or to the gym before breakfast and we have never been bothered by them in their robes. (Better than sitting around in a speedo!)

I would vote for those who are part of a cruise group and wear their name badges all the time, even to the pool.

Having just got back from my first cruise, I certainly walked around with a big grin on my face way too much, and kept saying things like "I can't believe how big the ship is!" Or, "where's my cabin again? I thought it was right over here..." I'm pretty sure I seemed like a newbie when we barely made it back to the ship in Costa Maya - "you mean they really leave when they say they will?" What can I say - I got sidetracked by the Tequila Museum and Tasting room:D.

Perhaps that is a virgin mistake as well?

Mamacol, thanks for making me laugh. I needed that:)

I've been on 12 cruises and I swear that the instructions are to put your life jacket on, and then proceed quickly and safely to your muster station...not drag the jacket along behind you so the pax behind you trip on the straps...

That used to be the norm, but some, if not most, cruise lines now say to just show up at the mandatory drill without your lifejacket. Confused me too when I first heard it. But it does make things simpler (for us).

I'm reading through these and realizing that even though i'm about to go on our 3rd cruise, i'm clearly still a newbie! lol

The day I stop gawking at my surroundings and the enormous beauty of the ship, is the day i stop cruising.

• Like 5

Women who carry their big purses around all day. You're at sea. You don't need anything in that bag.

I second the cruise card on a lanyard around the neck thing too. To me that's a sure sign someone is new to cruising.

Just ask my husband... wherever I go, so does my purse! :o I like having certain things close to me... like my cruise card so that I can pay for drinks!

• Like 1

that's what my husband is for.. "honey, i forgot my book in the cabin, would you get it for me?"

"oh honey, i'm thirsty. my water bottle's in the cabin."

Does the ship have a rent-a-husband service on board? If so - and if they are trained properly - then I'll take two!! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's your first cruise when you like everything, while the 'Olde Salts' don't.

john

Naa, some of us 'old salts' still like everything. What's NOT to like?!

Peaches (Constant Cruiser)

• Like 4

Summer 2009 we were on the Zuiderdam and the Captain at a meet and greet called HIS SHIP.............."The Boat" My husband was thrilled because he always calls it a boat.

So I have lost the argument! If the Captain can say that, so can you.

I also agree with the poster that said when she stops Gawking is when she will stop cruising.

Our second cruise....I was on the ship only 24 hours and the Captain announced that we had X miles to go to reach Hawaii and I burst out loud. "OH! I forgot we were going to Hawaii" !!! I was enjoying the ship so much I felt like that was my destination.

As many cruises I can take until I die............I will never loose my childlike enthusiasm for adventure and excitement!

• Like 6