Question about medications in carry on.

Gracious Rose

I've got all of our medications in the weekly containers for our carry on luggage. I read somewhere that you have to have the original bottles, is this true? I hate to think about taking all of our pill bottles with us. We're leaving in 12 days. HELP!!!! :confused:

We don't fly to ports so I don't have airplane rules to cope with. But what I have done for 25 crusies is just throw all my week's meds in a Zip Lock bag, plus a few extras of each med just in case. I have never once had a problem or some security person ask me what was in the bag.

Even I, myself, question the wisdom of this practice because if I should be questioned, I don't have the bottles with me. But I have never been questioned about the meds. (Knock on wood.)

Unlike the previous two posters, I, and members of my family, have been stopped by the TSA and questioned about the medications in our carry ons. My mom used to take a lot of pills, and she kept them in the original container, and it was a good thing. One TSA agent pulled out the baggie with the original containers and said "you're lucky that you have these in the bottles, because if they weren't, we could have taken you aside and gone through every single pill, figuring out what they're for". My dad put his in the days of the week container, and he had a huge problem with the TSA. They checked every pill, asked questions and told him to NEVER again put his pills in a days of the week container when he flew.

Just because some haven't been stopped, doesn't mean it won't happen. My dad nearly missed his flight. Some TSA agents take their jobs way too seriously. Heck, my mom was flying to Las Vegas and one TSA agent saw the cash she had in her purse and questioned her for over 5 minutes. It was no business why mom had that money in her purse and the TSA went beyond the scope of their job, but some of these guys are on a power trip.

So, I personally think it's better to have the pills in their own containers with your name on the bottles. You might get stuck with a TSA agent who could take your pills away.

I think I might take the bottles. I would hate to be stopped. That would suck. Thanks, everyone. :)

Like the previous poster, I too have been stopped and questioned -- even when my meds were in their original containers!

It's arbitrary sometimes, and a lot depends on what else is going on in the world. If there hasn't been a "terrorist incident" lately, they get more lax. If there is some craziness somewhere, they all hunker down and question everything.

Lots of folks do get through every day with their meds in those convenient little containers. And then some get stopped, delayed a long time as they sort through and explain everything, and sometimes important meds get discarded because they can't explain them to suit the agent doing the questioning.

For me, it's not worth the risk for the week or so of inconvenience, my having to open up those little prescription bottles each day.

Like the previous poster, I too have been stopped and questioned -- even when my meds were in their original containers!

For me, it's not worth the risk for the week or so of inconvenience, my having to open up those little prescription bottles each day.

I totally agree with you. I'm taking my bottles. :)

I've been on two cruises.. one with Royal Carribbean, the other with Carnival. My medications were in their original bottles only because I actually hadn't thought to buy the pill organizer. Then again, I only had two. I like keep my meds in my purse.

There shouldn't be a problem for you at all to use one of those daily or weekly medication organizer things.. I highly suggest you keep it in a purse or small bag for safe keeping.

If you feel concerned still, it might bring you peace of mind to contact customer service of the cruise line you will be traveling with for reassurance.

Any question is a good question, so don't feel bad about asking!!

I personally have called customer service any number of times and all of the people Ive talked to have been patient, helpful and friendly.

Good luck with your cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time and certainly, I hope you find the reassurance needed so you can feel comfortable and not stressed!!!

I've been on two cruises.. one with Royal Carribbean, the other with Carnival. My medications were in their original bottles only because I actually hadn't thought to buy the pill organizer. Then again, I only had two. I like keep my meds in my purse.

There shouldn't be a problem for you at all to use one of those daily or weekly medication organizer things.. I highly suggest you keep it in a purse or small bag for safe keeping.

If you feel concerned still, it might bring you peace of mind to contact customer service of the cruise line you will be traveling with for reassurance.

I personally have called customer service any number of times and all of the people Ive talked to have been patient, helpful and friendly.

Good luck with your cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time and certainly, I hope you find the reassurance needed so you can feel comfortable and not stressed!!!

The cruise lines don't care very much. It's security at the AIRPORT that is the issue, here. If you're not flying, it doesn't much matter.

The cruise lines don't care very much. It's security at the AIRPORT that is the issue, here. If you're not flying, it doesn't much matter.

It's more than the airport that's the issue. When you reenter the US at the end of the cruise you have to go through US customs and immigration checks, and although not a lot of people have their belongings inspected by CBP, some do.

Going beyond cruising, any time you cross a border to enter a country, you're subject to inspection by that country's customs agents, and you run the risk of having unlabelled medications seized by local authorities.

It's more than the airport that's the issue. When you reenter the US at the end of the cruise you have to go through US customs and immigration checks, and although not a lot of people have their belongings inspected by CBP, some do.

Going beyond cruising, any time you cross a border to enter a country, you're subject to inspection by that country's customs agents, and you run the risk of having unlabelled medications seized by local authorities.

Not to disagree- because I do agree with what you've said...but...if they aren't flying and the cruise line doesn't really check/care- there should be no harm bringing the meds in a different container since at the end of the cruise he/she would have taken all the meds they brought- so no worries about customs there.

And- if they were not cruising and travelling to another country- it would most likely be by plane (yes, I realize that both Canada and Mexico are within driving distance...:p)- so they would want the meds in original containers for the airport security anyway...

But be careful in other countries- especially if you are American. They LOVE hassling Americans. I was in Tijuana once years ago on the Mexico side and a woman was crossing back into US and we were entering. The customs/border agent asked her what was in her bag- to which she replies "A little pot". I almost peed myself when the cutoms/ border agents swarmed around her and took her away to be searched/questioned. I guessed that they thought she meant marijuana when she said a little pot, but the poor woman had only meant a clay flower pot she had bought!! (to this day I still joke with my Dad when he asks me what is in my purse or suitcase or whatever- and I say "A little Pot!")

If you have a great pharmacist they will print out a sheet of all your medications, what they are for, and what they look like for you so if you do get stopped all you have to do is have them read the sheets.

If I had multiple meds, I think I would try to have the pharmacy print out extra labels and just put those in with the meds in a day-of-the-week holder. Or, perhaps your pharmacy will supply you with the smallest size bottles as well.

The two meds my husband takes we get by mail, a 3 month supply at a time, those bottles are huge.

Susan, the cruise lines don't care, unless you bring on illegal drugs. My point had nothing to do with the cruise line, but with the TSA at airports. If you're not flying, you won't have a problem, but if you have to fly down to the port, you must be concerned. All it takes is one overzealous TSA agent to ruin your cruise.

We decided we would take enough for the eleven days and then there would be no meds left to go through. So we're pretty good I think. :)

:)

Suggest you take meds for a couple of days more than that of your planned cruise ... if there are any delays getting back home, you might need those extras.

Suggest you take meds for a couple of days more than that of your planned cruise ... if there are any delays getting back home, you might need those extras.

but then we would have to take the bottles. I'll have to give it some thought. :(

I'm glad that I saw this posting... normally I would just throw them in a days of the week/time of day container. One of my perscriptions, Adderrall, is super controlled and regularly abused, there was just a lady in the local paper arrested for illegal possesion of it. I'll definitely be taking a signed note from my doctor and the original bottles, don't need to wind up getting arrested and missing my ship while trying to straighten things out!

I'm wondering about taking my nebulizer along on my trips...(I'm asthmatic and never really know if I will need the nebulizer or not)...will that cause a problem? I'm also wondering if they have one on the ship that I can use (in an emergency), if I bring my own tubing and medicine. Anyone have any experiences with this?

I'm wondering about taking my nebulizer along on my trips...(I'm asthmatic and never really know if I will need the nebulizer or not)...will that cause a problem? I'm also wondering if they have one on the ship that I can use (in an emergency), if I bring my own tubing and medicine. Anyone have any experiences with this?

You should bring yours. I'd never depend on the ship's infirmary to have exactly what you might need. No, it shouldn't be an issue to bring it. I'd pack it in a plastic bag (whatever size you need to accommodate it) and have it on top of your carry-on (don't pack it in your checked luggage). If asked, you simply pull it out, tell them what it is, and you should be waived through.

a friend traveling with us had her vitamins taken away by TSA...no huge loss, but if you need prescribed meds...be sure to take in original bottles (ask the pharmacist for small ones for travel) and for pain meds etc...take a copy of your script to be safe. Our pharmacy provides a printed list with names, MD names and phones etc. (As he had problems too) btw...no need to take a whole filled bottle....just take what you need plus a few extras for travel delays or dropped pills (those pills travel down the drain faster than a you know what). On arrival shipboard I then fill my pill boxes. And I do not take the bottle of things like tylenol which are easily acquired, but I do try to buy otc meds in individual labelled packs.

Hi! We are sailing in June on the Pacific Sun ship & are also taking along a Nebulizer - I have no idea about other ships BUT we had to let P&O know in advance as they need to get their electrician to check all plug in type medical equipment that comes on board! You may also want to ring in advance & inquire if your neb will run okay on the ships power supply. We had to hire an international traveler Nebulizer machine since the power on the ship runs at a different frequency (Hertz) than the average home supply.

They have also cautioned that it MAY run heaps slower than usual too.

Hope that made sense - It's late here!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!

Archived