Pre -Cruise Self Tanning - What do you use?

hartskys

Does a spray tan protect your skin while in the sun on a cruise? MsMacy and me are thinking about a tanning bed base tan so we don't roast.

The spray tan doesn't protect your skin from the sun. Only sunblock will protect you. Even if you normally tan, you should wear some sunblock because sunburns tend to hit you quick in the Caribbean sun.

Spray tans don't last long when swimming in the ocean on excursions everday, lotion self tanners fade and get yellowy so I've been hitting the tanning booth. It takes me about five 10 min tans to be brown as a berry. Then on the cruise I go head to toe with SPF 30 and still get color!! Who wants to be pasty white? Tan skin makes any body type look instantly better:rolleyes: It's my 1 pre-cruise activity along with a pedi!!

I use Mary Kay's Subtle tanning lotion - builds gradual colour and smells like coconuts. MUCH nice than some of the other smelly ones. I avoid the sun and this has been a great way to give me that touch of colour. Good luck with what you try!

I tried l'oreal one time, but it looked like I had od'd on carrots.:eek: Maybe I'll have to try the Jergens, although now that I live in NC I am noticing some tan already.:D

Welcome to NC...I'm just about an hour away in J'ville. Won't take long to get a nice tan here.

Hi you two! I live in Wake Co but work in Wilson. I have that nice farmer's tan sock line going from two nice weekends of soccer games and yard work.

Probably won't do the tanning bed. Just a little real sun (with sunscreen) and some self tanning lotion. I've tried Banana Boat and other self tanners and they were okay. Going to try to find some "Australian Gold" self tanner in a local store. I LOVE their regular suntan lotion/spay gel. It gives you a pretty color with little time in the sun and smells great. I need to get some SPF 30 before my cruise. If I can't find any Australin Gold Self Tanner, I'll get some Loreal Sublime Bronzer/Self Tanner that was mentioned by SpiderSilva. Read some good reviews on it.

For many years if I didn't get out in the sun alot in the hotter months and get that dark tan it was like the end of the world. Then for about 10 years, I hardly got in it at all. Glad I gave myself a break. Now I get in it, but I'm alot more cautious about how much I get and the damage it can cause. Like many things in life, it's all about moderation. I sure feel like I look better when I have some color on my skin, than when I'm white as a ghost!!!

My mother is going AGAIN Wednesday to hospital to have surgery for facial skin cancer. Many, many years of cutting, freezing, etc. in dermatologist's office but now they frequently have to be cut out in surgery center as they are apparently deeper. Ugh! She has many sun regrets.

I am toying with a spray tan but I am very fair skinned as well. Don't want to streak. I know to exfoliate before I go, but any other tips? Do you do it nude or take a suit? Like another poster kind of said, what am I breathing in and putting on my body? Anybody done any research and can share?

I can tell you that a dermatologist recommended I use Neutrogena Moisturizer (over the counter) as it has a good SPF in it and is light. I have used it for quite some time and like it alot. You really should use some type of sunscreen, on your face at least, every day and should start doing this when you are young. Most of the damage is coming back to bite you when you get older. :eek:

I do think a sun tan is beautiful, but especially not worth the risk for me with my family history.

Neutrogena Micro-Mist is by far the best I've found. The smell is very minimal and since it is just a light mist, you don't get that orange streaking. Just mist it on lightly a few days apart and it leaves a nice color.

This is the one I use, It works great and dries quickyly so you don't need to wait long before getting dressed. I usually apply it just after I shower, and while I'm putting on makeup and doing my hair it dries. I can get dressed without worrying about stains on clothing.

I usually don't exfoliate for this one, others I have had to. The fine mist works great!

Lisa

Archived