Did I make a mistake and waste my time?

Vabassman

I like most others I guess, sat for hours at a time share talk to get this free cruise. I called prior to the talk and asked if any of the cruises went out of Baltimore and I was yes. I get the paperwork after the three hours of listening to the talk and Baltimore is not one of the ports. Can anyone say if you can use this voucher for Baltimore if it is not listed on my paperwork and is it worth while to even attempt the crusise. I have read many negative comments on this company, Spirit Innovations and it appears that I might be as well off just to pay and book my own cruise. Thanks for any input with any dealings with this company.

The answer is "probably".

I've been stupid enough to sit through a couple of those, and the travel certificates we got were so restrictive, it wasn't even worth it to try. You had to book through their company. You had to send them a list of several possible destinations and dates you could travel, and they'd tell you which one you get (hard to buy airfare under those conditions). I think I called them once, and it turns out you actually had to send in the certificate, with your "travel choices" filled out, to get the reservation. (This wasn't for a cruise, it was a 4-night hotel stay I think) The certificate had to be sent in months in advance, but they didn't have to notify you of where you're going until days or weeks before the date.

Those things are almost always a ripoff.

The best case is that you get one out of New York or Norfolk or something, and have to drive a few hours to use it. Worst case is that you get nothing but frustration.

Hopefully you're one of the lucky ones, and you can actually get something.

- Steve

The answer is "probably".

I've been stupid enough to sit through a couple of those, and the travel certificates we got were so restrictive, it wasn't even worth it to try. You had to book through their company. You had to send them a list of several possible destinations and dates you could travel, and they'd tell you which one you get (hard to buy airfare under those conditions). I think I called them once, and it turns out you actually had to send in the certificate, with your "travel choices" filled out, to get the reservation. (This wasn't for a cruise, it was a 4-night hotel stay I think) The certificate had to be sent in months in advance, but they didn't have to notify you of where you're going until days or weeks before the date.

Those things are almost always a ripoff.

The best case is that you get one out of New York or Norfolk or something, and have to drive a few hours to use it. Worst case is that you get nothing but frustration.

Hopefully you're one of the lucky ones, and you can actually get something.

- Steve

I smell a new poll coming :D

95% of timeshares are ripoffs. Otherwise they would not have to use the giveaways and high pressure tatics to try to make the sale.

Anything cruise, hotel, or resort stay they "give" you just to listen to their sales pitch probably has so many restrictions, limitations, and fees attached that it is not worth going.

95% of timeshares are ripoffs.

Are you speaking from experience or just guessing? We own 2 timeshares and it's the best thing we've ever done. We get rooms for about $50 a night that we would otherwise have to pay $250 + a night for (Caribbean). We LOVE timesharing. But, that said, we wouldn't want to attend another presentation ever. We love cruising too. It's the best of both worlds.

I did the same thing once. The only problem is that if it is a buy one get one free, you will be paying the full price for the first fare which is double what you can book on your own. it is cheaper to go straight through Carnival or any other cruise line.

Are you speaking from experience or just guessing? We own 2 timeshares and it's the best thing we've ever done. We get rooms for about $50 a night that we would otherwise have to pay $250 + a night for (Caribbean). We LOVE timesharing. But, that said, we wouldn't want to attend another presentation ever. We love cruising too. It's the best of both worlds.

Did you watch that dope Clark Howard on HLN talking about how to get rid of a timeshare? He suggested just donating it. :p

btw we have good friends who have a timeshare in Aruba that they have been going to for almost 20 yrs and love it. Heard the horror stories too...

We used to own 2 and enjoyed them a lot. Sold them on ebay. Now we just cruise, no maint fees!! .

Thats just a made up #. I have looked at them before and thought about buying, except I always see this maint/cleaning fee for the week between $500 - $1000.

Some folks really like them and work out well, but if you broke the whole thing down financially, they really don't make good business cents. But then buying almost anything now doesn't either.....

Im pursuing a FREE cruise .. are you sure its FREE? Turns out mine is $179 pp for a 4 day or $299 for a 7 day. It is still worth it for me, if they do it... now it turns out that you can only do it from sept to dec, without paying more extra on top of the above. (they didnt say that when picking out 3 dates, they said off season, which could have been jan and feb for all I know). ... so now the only date that fits is way next Nov. I listened to the talk a year ago, and you have to send in the money etc. Get the paper, send in the dates.

They are going to make it difficult, but imo, if you pursue it and can go during the time alloted, go. Why not?? Its still cheaper since that price includes taxes and fees which are added onto the Carnival prices. Id follow thru and do it.

Thats just a made up #. I have looked at them before and thought about buying, except I always see this maint/cleaning fee for the week between $500 - $1000.

Some folks really like them and work out well, but if you broke the whole thing down financially, they really don't make good business cents. But then buying almost anything now doesn't either.....

I agree with you. I bought a time share and paid it off even and gave it back to them thinking that would save my credit. They still demanded I keep on paying the yearly maintenance charge. I refused finally to give them another dime.

What got me is you have to also pay to join their club if you want to exchange weeks for another location. .. I could get a hotel for what I paid easily. Anyone who thinks its a good deal must stay in very expensive hotels. One of my huge mistakes financially in life. I would never do it again.

I own timeshare in a 'points based' system. Just enough to get me a week anywhere I want, every other year. Combined with cruising, that's plenty.

There are lots of shady, pushy, high-pressure crappy timeshare companies out there. There are also some good ones with lots of options. And even then you sometimes have to know what you're doing if you want to get a good deal during the sales pitch. It's in your best interest to research the companies before you do business with them. Not much different than booking a cheap cruise on a cruise line you've never heard of before and finding out the food isn't free, there are no port stops and the ship stinks.

I like most others I guess, sat for hours at a time share talk to get this free cruise. I called prior to the talk and asked if any of the cruises went out of Baltimore and I was yes. I get the paperwork after the three hours of listening to the talk and Baltimore is not one of the ports. Can anyone say if you can use this voucher for Baltimore if it is not listed on my paperwork and is it worth while to even attempt the crusise. I have read many negative comments on this company, Spirit Innovations and it appears that I might be as well off just to pay and book my own cruise. Thanks for any input with any dealings with this company.

If you have already read many negative reports about this company why do you think they will be any different with you. Go with a company that is recommended. Good luck. And remember nothing is really free!!

We did this once because of the free cruise, but it was only about an hour presentation. The free cruise was for a cabin with an upper and a lower, and to upgrade was the same price we would have paid without the certificate. Wasn't worth it for us but might be for others.

The best thing is call a PVP and compare with and without the certificate.

While I would never purchase a timeshare, I do believe their free offers just for listening to a sales pitch is worth it. I've done it a few times; however, never for a cruise offer. It sounds like the cruise offers have many restrictions.

The hotel chain timeshare offers I went to were great cheap vacations. After sitting through the presentation, I made it clear I was not interested in purchasing and then continued my vacation. Until the last one...We stayed at the Westin at St. John, USVI. The problem was that it was me against the salesman AND MY WIFE:eek: Wanting to get back to the beach, I agreed and signed the contract (knowing I had 30 days to cancel). Needless to say, when we returned home, I sent a certified letter cancelling the contract.

The one thing I could never get them to justify is the maintenance fees. They charge you $500/week (they say "No, it is $500/yr"). $500 times 52 weeks = $26,000 for maintenance on a 2 bedroom condo. I couldn't spend that much on maintenance of my 4 bedroom house if I tried.

On the free cruise issue, it will not be free. Most of the time you will also have to pay "taxes & fees" plus the travel restrictions.

On timesshares, we do own one. There a few good things and more bad things. The good things that I enjoy is able to exchange my week for a 4 or 5 star resort all over the world. I have stayed in a few amazing places. You would not get into one of these places for 7 nights for the cost of your annual mainanence fee plus the exchange fee.

I have a two week unit, I exchange 1 week each year and still enjoy 1 week at the resort I bought at which was the whole reason for buying there in the first place.

Archived