spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance, and begins Aug. 1. Spirit said on Tuesday that it reduced its lowest fares by $40 on average, so most customers won't really pay more to fly.

If true, I am not sure why this is really a big deal. I would be more concerned about the lack of flights available on Spirit, and the fact they have no interline agreement with any other airline, which really limits your options if there is a problem, then worrying about paying a carry on bag charge.

Spirit Adds Carry-on Bag Fees of up to $45

Spirit Airlines has added fees for carry-on bags, effective immediately for travel on or after August 1.

Here's the fee breakdown:

• Personal item: Free
  • Carry-on bag, paid online; $9 fare club members: $20
  • Carry-on bag, paid online, on the phone, or at check-in; non-$9 fare club members: $30
  • Paid at the gate: $45

Items such as umbrellas, strollers, and car seats are also free.

Spirit is concurrently lowering its checked bag fees for $9 Fare Club members:

Advertisement

817-grey.gif

• First bag: Old fees $19 online/$25 airport; new fee: $15 domestic, $20 international, $45 checked at gate (domestic or international)
  • Second bag: Old fee: $25 online or airport; new fee: $15 domestic, $20 international
  • Third through fifth bag: Old fee: $100; new fee: $75 domestic, $80 international

For non-members, some checked bag fees have actually gone up:

• First bag: Old fees $19 online/$25 airport; new fee: $25 domestic, $30 international, $45 checked at gate (domestic or international)
  • Second bag: Old fee: $25 online or airport; new fee: $30 domestic or international
  • Third through fifth bag: Old fee: $100; new fee: $85 domestic, $90 international

For an up to date listing of airline fees and charges, check out our Ultimate Guide to Airline Fees.

Bottom line: You will pay for bags on Spirit no matter what. This is obviously not a development many travelers will be happy to see, but hopefully the concept of carry-on fees stays relegated to the realm of the ultra-low-cost carrier.

My question now is, why on earth would anyone fly Spirit?

Update: Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows I have a pet peeve about airline press releases that go to extraordinary lengths to be as vague as possible about unpopular news. Well, Spirit should get some sort of award for the following bit of linguistic gymnastics:

"In order to continue reducing fares even further and offering customers the option of paying only for the services they want and use rather than subsidizing the choices of others, the low fare industry innovator is also progressing to the next phase of unbundling with the introduction of a charge to carry on a bag and be boarded first onto the airplane."

I'm almost impressed.

I guess they dont care if they lose business, thanks for the information..Our group of 12 has a cruise booked for Sept on the Granduer, looks like we won't be flying Spirit and thank goodness we didnt book our flights yet because that is who we usually fly through but just as easy to go to philadelphia and fly southwest..they're loss:D

I just saw this as well and it's unbelieveable to me. I love the spin they are using 'this will enhance safety because there are less bags in overhead bins!'. I don't expect this to catch on and I expect a backlash against Spirit Air.

If true, I am not sure why this is really a big deal.

Quite, sometimes people lose the wood from the trees. Spirit are a low cost so expect to be nickled and dimed. As with all the other things take into account the entire cost before purchasing.

Based on the discussions we've seen here I'm sure some people paid $300 to fly Southwest because they don't charge bags, when AA/US/UA/DL/CO were $150 yet charged $25 to check a bag.

Based on the discussions we've seen here I'm sure some people paid $300 to fly Southwest because they don't charge bags, when AA/US/UA/DL/CO were $150 yet charged $25 to check a bag.

And thought they were getting a good deal because of no bag fees.

Spirit will also charge you more to choose your seats, any seats. And this is after you click on "purchase ticket" and have given your CC number. If you don't pick a seat and pay for it on line, you get a free random seat at the gate. Their fares are cheap, but all the add ons are expensive.

Rick

Logically, this should have been done at the same time that airlines started charging for checked bags, since that led to people bring more and more,and larger and larger, carry-on bags, and planes weren't designed to accommodate those in the cabins. It takes a lot longer to disemark now, since people are struggling to get really big bags from the overhead bins (and then there are those who decide they don't want their coat or Disney World toy scrunched up so try to take an entire bin for themsleves). While I'm sure there were some who paid extra to fly Southwest due to its baggage policy, what's more common is that people compare just basic ticket prices, and only later look at fees for bags, etc. This is one reason an airline wouldn't simply raise its fares and do away with baggage fees: many people would simply not even consider them due to a higher base fare. If you look at the fares showing on sites such as Expedia and Orbitz, they show just the basic ticket price plus taxes, not extra fees. And if you think our baggage allowances are bad, look at some low-cost airlines in other places, such as Europe. Airlines are losing money, so don't expect lower fees anytime soon.

We flew from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit on March 29th and believe me there has to be some control. The carry ons have not been limited. Some people were wheeling on two suitcases. When the overhead got full people were asked if they'd like to check these for free. They have not been policing the size of carryons and for us that pay the fee for checked luggage it's a pain to know that some people are bringing on bags that are not carryons and getting away with it. Two carryons, a back pack and a purse, who needs to check their bags.

We flew from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit on March 29th and believe me there has to be some control. The carry ons have not been limited. Some people were wheeling on two suitcases. When the overhead got full people were asked if they'd like to check these for free. They have not been policing the size of carryons and for us that pay the fee for checked luggage it's a pain to know that some people are bringing on bags that are not carryons and getting away with it. Two carryons, a back pack and a purse, who needs to check their bags.

Exactly. We flew a week and a half ago and the same thing. Flight Attendant announced that the bins were full before everyone was even on the plane. They said only one item per person in the overhead. So many people got on with a roll-on and other large bag and stuffed both in the overhead bins. When the announcement was made, not one person got up to take out their second item.

So now of course, comes the charging for carry-ons. It was bound to happen. The airlines make plenty of money off these charges and people bringing all ther luggage on board gave them a reason for the new charges.

Nickle and Diming seems to be the new business model.

ITA - as with so many things, people take advantage which makes it bad for everyone else. Personally, I'm somewhat "vertically challenged" so never put my bag in the overhead and don't mind something under the seat in front of me.

I live in between two different airports, and you can fly into FLL or MIA for a POM departure. I ended up creating a chart of airfare, baggage fees (No way can I see us getting everything for nearly 10 days into one suitcase each), then the cost to shuttle from FLL to POM and back. Seven columns in a spreadsheet to find out the most cost-effective mode of travel.

As much as i hated the thought of shuttling between FLL and POM, that was far and away the best choice financially by flying Southwest at their web fare. To the tune of nearly $450 dollars. I am waiting because I see a lot of less-than-60-day-out fares at significant discounts. Its all a game at this point.

JetBlue gives you your checked luggage free as long as it's under 50 or 55lbs (I had a suitcase packed for 9 days and was fine) and you get your carry on AND personal luggage for free. Your 2nd checked bag will cost ya. Better than just about any other airline though...

All I can say is GOOD FOR THEM. I get sick and tired of people trying to bring all of their luggage for carry on. It slows down the boarding process. Hope that this moves to other airlines.

You are decidedly in the minority and must have cash to burn!

I agree with the guy that said air travel is more hassle than it's worth. I'm cruising out of MIA and driving from Atlanta...I won't even consider flying if the drive is 10 hours or less anymore.

You are decidedly in the minority and must have cash to burn!

I agree with the guy that said air travel is more hassle than it's worth. I'm cruising out of MIA and driving from Atlanta...I won't even consider flying if the drive is 10 hours or less anymore.

That's fine. Not everyone can be in the majority. I just get tired of people who abuse the process. Hopefully this will cut back on it. Most don't agree but I could really give a rats ***.;)

Archived