spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

That's outrageous.

We have a low cost airline in the UK called Ryan Air. They are raising the cost of checked bagage for the summer break only thereby penalising thousands of families.

A spokesman for Ryanair said: "We are determined to incentivise passengers to travel light this summer by increasing our checked-in baggage fees for the months of July and August only."

We were thinking of flying Spirit down to FLL for our cruise in May, but won't now. I definitely think that people are ridiculous with their carry-ons, but we shouldn't be punished for the airlines lack of ability to enforce these policies. Flight attendants aren't empowered to enforce the policies--people are so rude to them that they've stopped trying. Gate agents just try to get the plane off on time. So this is what we're left with.

We were thinking of flying Spirit down to FLL for our cruise in May, but won't now. I definitely think that people are ridiculous with their carry-ons, but we shouldn't be punished for the airlines lack of ability to enforce these policies. Flight attendants aren't empowered to enforce the policies--people are so rude to them that they've stopped trying. Gate agents just try to get the plane off on time. So this is what we're left with.

You summed it up perfectly. I don't fly unless I have to. We flew from Atlanta in January to FLL for the Oasis but will drive next month for the Oasis. It's about a nine hour drive for us.

I couldn't agree more. Living is WIsconsin forces us to fly to the ports. Flying has taken a lot of joy out of traveling.

Jan

I'm so with you...we always have to fly out of O'Hare or connect somewhere, which makes it such a pain...Cruising out of MKE just isn't an option, apparently. :(

Logically, this should have been done at the same time that airlines started charging for checked bags, since that led to people bring more and more,and larger and larger, carry-on bags, and planes weren't designed to accommodate those in the cabins.
And anything that reduces the amount of baggage in the cabin is a good thing.

But I notice that this change is being accompanied by a reduction in the permissible size of cabin baggage (even if paid for). Interestingly, it's the current UK maximum size that's been adopted.

Personally, I find this a little startling. But as fbgd says, if you fly on a low-fare carrier, you should be expecting that the price of your ticket was only the down payment on your total cost of travel. And you still might end up ahead on total cost, if the circumstances are right.

Per NBC evening news they had the story that SPIRIT AIRLINES is charging $45 OW for carry on luggage in overhead bins. Both my husband & I said "what about under the seat in front of us?" They are also starting a fare club that this is reduced & folks paying get on first.

So will others do the same?

You summed it up perfectly. I don't fly unless I have to. We flew from Atlanta in January to FLL for the Oasis but will drive next month for the Oasis. It's about a nine hour drive for us.

I literally just reserved Oasis for the week before you. So excited, but kind of overwhelmed. Any tips/suggestions? I know it's OT, but did you write a review or anything? Thanks!

This is good. If it fits under the seat it it free. If it has to go in the overhead bin you pay extra. Now if the other airlines would follow suit and do away with the check bag fee, I could see this improving things.

the carry on charge starts august 1st. if your carry on fits under the seat, there is no charge. they will have measuring devices at check-in to determine if your carry on will fit under the seat. any way you measure it, it's a rotten thing to do. sure hope the major carriers don't follow along.

thanks

We flew from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit on March 29th and believe me there has to be some control. The carry ons have not been limited. Some people were wheeling on two suitcases. When the overhead got full people were asked if they'd like to check these for free. They have not been policing the size of carryons and for us that pay the fee for checked luggage it's a pain to know that some people are bringing on bags that are not carryons and getting away with it. Two carryons, a back pack and a purse, who needs to check their bags.

I think the airline carrier needs to enforce the size of their one carry on. I notice that some airlines do and some don't. It is not fun to get to your seats and then find no room in the overhead bin.

Our last couple flights were with Airtran and we had plenty of room. They were asking people to check their carry on at the end of the boarding ramp. Especially ones that had larger carry on bags than fit in the overhead bins.

I just hope that other airlines don't decide to do the same thing! :mad:

What really annoys me is the people that put their bags at the front of the plane because they don't want to lug their bags back to their seats at the very rear of the plane so your space in the overhead is full and you have to keep going BACK til you find an empty spot.

I fly on spirit all the time. They already charge to check all luggage. Also, they charge to pick your seats ahead of time, or the computer picks them for you. Enough already... Not much fits under the seat, maybe a small purse, tote bag.

All I can say is GOOD FOR THEM. I get sick and tired of people trying to bring all of their luggage for carry on. It slows down the boarding process. Hope that this moves to other airlines.

I couldn't agree with you more. As someone who has to fly quite often it really gets tiresome watching everyone with their entire closets packed into 2 roller suitcases trying to get on the plane. I am sure the flight attendants love having to be the carry on police now.

I wish they would just limit the carry ons to half the supposed size they allow now, and 1 bag only, then make you check the rest.

The airlines will do what ever they can to generate revenues.

The cruise lines are doing the same thing. Some call it nickel and diming, some think they are making too much $$ on alcohol, some think the shouldn't have pay restaurants, some think they have made too many cuts, call it what you want.

They certainly aren't making any type of excessive profits, or barely any profit for that matter. If anyone thinks they are, then I have some swamp land here in FL I'd like to sell you.

They are all just trying to make some $$ or just survive in this economy. Oh,,, by the way,,, where is oil right now, don't be surprised to see it close to or at $100 bbl by summer, then we'll really hear the whining again if the fuel surcharges get kicked in.

I'm all for the airlines eliminating the big, bulky baggage that has found its way into the cabin (notice how no one did that when luggage was free...?), but my concern is that fine line between not charging for things like laptop bags and purses, and an outright cash-grab.

Interestingly, for all of their hooplah about how they're the cheapest lo-cost carrier, a quick comparison - plus all those lovely fees - shows that they're just as, if not more, expensive than the competition.

Have you ever stood in line on the plane and watched people trying to stuff an oversize bag into the overhead?? Have you ever tried stuffing a marshmellow into a piggy bank? People should be charged extra for oversized carryons. Just my opinion!! While I am at it they should also be charged for oversized bodies!!

Spirit had to follow suit...All the big airlines except Southwest and JetBlue charge to check a bag on domestic flights.

This is for a carry-on, not a checked bag. And is in addition to the fee they already charge for checked bags.

Spirit had to follow suit...All the big airlines except Southwest and JetBlue charge to check a bag on domestic flights.

Can't get all my stuff for upcoming cruise in 2 bags. Jetblue - will have to pay $30 for the third.:eek: Oh well. What is another $30 - oh make that $60 we have to eventually come back......

Southwest gives you 2 I think. Be good while I am away:D

All I can say is GOOD FOR THEM. I get sick and tired of people trying to bring all of their luggage for carry on. It slows down the boarding process. Hope that this moves to other airlines.

I couldn't agree with you more. As someone who has to fly quite often it really gets tiresome watching everyone with their entire closets packed into 2 roller suitcases trying to get on the plane. I am sure the flight attendants love having to be the carry on police now.

We have flown Spirit before and yes, it's a no-frills airline. BUT when you can get a r/t fare for under $90pp from DC to FLL, it is well worth it:) On the carry on issue, I am a small person, but I cannot tell you how many times I've almost been conked on the noggin by someone swinging a bag up and into a packed overhead bin:eek: I also don't even try to venture off the plane until all the overheads are open for fear of them falling on me:p

Can't get all my stuff for upcoming cruise in 2 bags. Jetblue - will have to pay $30 for the third Oh well. What is another $30 - oh make that $60 we have to eventually come back......

Southwest gives you 2 I think.

Be good while I am away

I'll try :p

I paid $50 on Delta to my trip to Canada. :eek:

And that's just one bag.

I was thinking how would I do it with 6? :eek: That's the norm when I cruise :o..:D

Have a great trip A!!!! :)

Archived