spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

I literally just reserved Oasis for the week before you. So excited, but kind of overwhelmed. Any tips/suggestions? I know it's OT, but did you write a review or anything? Thanks!

Here is the link to my review. A great ship. Just go and expect to be wowed.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1128311&highlight=review

What really annoys me is the people that put their bags at the front of the plane because they don't want to lug their bags back to their seats at the very rear of the plane so your space in the overhead is full and you have to keep going BACK til you find an empty spot.

Ditto

~Lisa :p

I have tickets to fly on Spirit in October for our Oasis cruise. It will most likely be the last trip we take on Spirit. I see by their new policy that we will not be charged the new carry-on charge since we purchased our tickets before the announcement.

I already have my speech ready when the ticket agent tells me that I'll have to pay for my carry-on. I'll politely say, Check my booking date, please." We had this same problem a few years ago when they started charging for checked bags. And when I repeated this simple statement, the ticket agent would scowl and agree that I did not have to pay for my bags.

Spirit claims to be an "Ultra low-cost carrier." This is nothing more than another gimmick. They low ball the price of the ticket, but they more than make up the difference with all their add ons. By the time they're done with all their extras, you can fly one of the legacy carriers, such as Continental, Delta, or American for about the same price, and in many cases, even less.

I won't be shedding any tears for Spirit's low profit margin. Their spin-doctors will run out of tricks eventually.

Spirit said in a press release that they lowered their fares so that even with the "new" carry-on pricing the cost of the flight would be the same. BALONEY! They would not be adding these fees if they weren't getting something out of it.

Shame on them. I will never fly on Spirit again. Period. :mad: I hope others follow suit so that all airlines get a loud message that the consumers will not take this anymore.

Spirit had to follow suit...All the big airlines except Southwest and JetBlue charge to check a bag on domestic flights.

If I remember correctly, Spirit was one of the first to start to charge for checked luggage, even before the major airlines.

My last few flights have featured crammed overhead space, surly flight attendants, and people sitting in the aisleway to board so that they could be the first in their group and cram their bag the first place they could find ... something was going to give, and I'm sure other carriers will start soon and it will keep going until air carriers just raise the prices and include stuff (which they won't in the age of fare aggregators).

Have you ever stood in line on the plane and watched people trying to stuff an oversize bag into the overhead?? Have you ever tried stuffing a marshmellow into a piggy bank? People should be charged extra for oversized carryons. Just my opinion!! While I am at it they should also be charged for oversized bodies!!

I've noticed this as well, but it's the airlines fault, because they charge for checked bags, more and more people are buying large bags that fit the carry on size limits and are trying to save the checked baggage charges (me included). Most people I saw getting on our Delta flights last week before and after our Crown cruise had two large carry on bags. It used to not be that way.

I really wish airlines would include these costs in their airfare and drop the baggage fees.

Mike

Didn't an airline try this before about 18 months ago? I can see the line to board now - show me your receipt for that bag

My DD just flew Air France to Paris from Washington Dulles. At the check-in counter you had to have your carry on bags tagged. A luggage type tag marked "cabin" was attached to the bag. They were very strict with the size and # limit. They checked her backpack in the metal sizer before attaching the tag. They also checked/tagged "personal items" - no super-sized totes as purses and medical items with cabin tags. She said they were very strict - no tag - it was not allowed into the cabin. She said the plane boarded quickly (it was a full 777).

We have flown Spirit before and yes, it's a no-frills airline. BUT when you can get a r/t fare for under $90pp from DC to FLL, it is well worth it:) On the carry on issue, I am a small person, but I cannot tell you how many times I've almost been conked on the noggin by someone swinging a bag up and into a packed overhead bin:eek: I also don't even try to venture off the plane until all the overheads are open for fear of them falling on me:p

At least you understand that. Most people won't take into account the fare + the bag fees, that it may still be a better deal to pay the low fare and the fees, however they just want to whine and cry about the bag fees. Take SW for instance, I have yet to book one of their flights, as the fares with the free bags are usually more than what I pay on Delta or AA or US Air for most of the cities I have to fly to on a regular basis even if I am paying for any bags. I just think they should limit the carry ons, and make you check just about everything, fees or not.

Why is everyone blaming the customers for trying to save a buck? If the airlines didnt enforce this ridiculous policy (charging for checked bags), the customer would not try to fit their entire closet in their carry ons. In this current economy, a penny saved is truly a penny earned.

Didn't an airline try this before about 18 months ago? I can see the line to board now - show me your receipt for that bag

My DD just flew Air France to Paris from Washington Dulles. At the check-in counter you had to have your carry on bags tagged. A luggage type tag marked "cabin" was attached to the bag. They were very strict with the size and # limit. They checked her backpack in the metal sizer before attaching the tag. They also checked/tagged "personal items" - no super-sized totes as purses and medical items with cabin tags. She said they were very strict - no tag - it was not allowed into the cabin. She said the plane boarded quickly (it was a full 777).

I have been in the waiting area for a USAir flight, and the airline personnel were walking around advising people who had more than a personal item and a small carry-on that they would not be permitted to board unless they complied.

THAT is the way to handle people flouting the rules. Not by punishing people who follow them.

Why is everyone blaming the customers for trying to save a buck? If the airlines didnt enforce this ridiculous policy (charging for checked bags), the customer would not try to fit their entire closet in their carry ons. In this current economy, a penny saved is truly a penny earned.

Yes, the airlines may have created their own monster, and you may have a point, however, carry on bags were mostly used by people on short trips with a MINIMUM of travel necessities, ie, clothes, incidentals, etc, and were for the most part a small bag, not a 80 lb suitcase packed to the gills that they can't lift over their head, that won't fit in a bin, without jamming the door shut, etc. People need to use some common sense as to what a carry on bag is for, not 2 weeks worth of vacation crap, and 1 bag only, not 2.

So, since some passengers don't exercise any of this common sense, the airlines will make you pay for it.

Yes, the airlines may have created their own monster, and you may have a point, however, carry on bags were mostly used by people on short trips with a MINIMUM of travel necessities, ie, clothes, incidentals, etc, and were for the most part a small bag, not a 80 lb suitcase packed to the gills that they can't lift over their head, that won't fit in a bin, without jamming the door shut, etc. People need to use some common sense as to what a carry on bag is for, not 2 weeks worth of vacation crap, and 1 bag only, not 2.

So, since some passengers don't exercise any of this common sense, the airlines will make you pay for it.

I slightly disagree. The customer didnt create this problem, the airlines did in their quest for greed. I think people need to stand up to these companies and fly their competitors until they get it. Airlines receives huge subsidies or they would all be bankrupt. If we decided to stop flying those companies, we'd be able to check our luggage for free again(and we wouldnt have to deal with the overhead compartments problems). I simpy cannot blame the customer when everyday we lose more and more. People will always find a way to save. If we all would just stand up for something, maybe we get chocolate on our pillows again.

All I can say is GOOD FOR THEM. I get sick and tired of people trying to bring all of their luggage for carry on. It slows down the boarding process. Hope that this moves to other airlines.

I agree. I watch people board and I wonder what part of "ONE carry on and ONE SMALL personal item" is not clear?! Especially the women who seem to think that a purse, often a very large one, doesn't count as their personal item. Granted, the airlines are also at fault, for not enforcing their own rules, but some people just don't get it.

I slightly disagree. The customer didnt create this problem, the airlines did in their quest for greed. I think people need to stand up to these companies and fly their competitors until they get it. Airlines receives huge subsidies or they would all be bankrupt. If we decided to stop flying those companies, we'd be able to check our luggage for free again(and we wouldnt have to deal with the overhead compartments problems). I simpy cannot blame the customer when everyday we lose more and more. People will always find a way to save. If we all would just stand up for something, maybe we get chocolate on our pillows again.

The airlines created it when oil was $135 bbl as a way to off set some of the fuel costs so they could stay in business, my gosh lets hang the CEO's out to dry for trying to keep their companies going, let alone try and make any money.

Just who gives the airlines subsidies?? the government??, and mfor what?? does the government pay the airlines not to fly, like they do the farmers not to grow??Well where is this info published.

Lets see, in the past 10yrs how many airlines have filed bankruptcy. I don't seem to recall these companies getting money from anyone.

If some, like they have done this past 2 yrs.people choose not to fly all this will do is have the airlines cut more flights to keep the planes full. Bag fees are here to stay , like it or not.

The airlines created it when oil was $135 bbl as a way to off set some of the fuel costs so they could stay in business, my gosh lets hang the CEO's out to dry for trying to keep their companies going, let alone try and make any money.

Just who gives the airlines subsidies?? the government??, and mfor what?? does the government pay the airlines not to fly, like they do the farmers not to grow??Well where is this info published.

Lets see, in the past 10yrs how many airlines have filed bankruptcy. I don't seem to recall these companies getting money from anyone.

If some, like they have done this past 2 yrs.people choose not to fly all this will do is have the airlines cut more flights to keep the planes full. Bag fees are here to stay , like it or not.

Im not even interested in going back and forth with you when you lack the education or knowledge to do so. Ignorance is so bliss.

Ill just ask you one question.

If the airlines (who are grossly subsidized) implemented these fees due to oil prices, what is their excuse now?

I'll leave you with this old one

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt — Abraham Lincoln

Im not even interested in going back and forth with you when you lack the education or knowledge to do so. Ignorance is so bliss.

Ill just ask you one question.

If the airlines (who are grossly subsidized) implemented these fees due to oil prices, what is their excuse now?

I'll leave you with this old one

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt — Abraham Lincoln

And it just seems as if they are just racking up the profits doesn't it. those dividends out to be out of sight now, eh?? They are just making money hand over fist and rolling in it. Get a grip. Just how grossly are they subsidized?? Oh yes I can read articles on line from anywhere from 4-10 years ago.

How much have you flown lately. My last 2 flights on a 767 and a 757 barely had 2 full luggage carts of checked bags and the planes were full.

Yep they are just raking in the fees with the checked luggage fees. Most of it is in the overheads and on the floor of the cabin.

You can think of me any way you wish, no big deal here how smart I may or may not seem to you. I could care less.

Quite, sometimes people lose the wood from the trees. Spirit are a low cost so expect to be nickled and dimed. As with all the other things take into account the entire cost before purchasing.

Based on the discussions we've seen here I'm sure some people paid $300 to fly Southwest because they don't charge bags, when AA/US/UA/DL/CO were $150 yet charged $25 to check a bag.

Up here in Boston, Southwest, JetBlue, and AirTran are generally cheaper than Spirit. There was no reason for me to fly Spirit and now I won't even bother looking at their flights.

I have to agree with those who stated the airlines created their own monster. Once passengers were charged for checked luggage, the carry on's grew tremendously. On our last few flights, my husband and I were unable to carry on our 1 legal carry on because there was no longer any room in the bins. The bag was taken and checked for free because of this - since I don't check valuables, I had to take the time to remove several items and put them in my purse. If Spirit thinks they are going to keep or gain any customers with this new charge they are sadly mistaken. I will avoid flying with any airline that implements this fee. Its bad enough you have to pay for checked luggage. Once they all begin this process, we will fly less and drive more. Very sad. :(

It's BS, ridiculous, ripping off customers and another way to nickel/dime the customer. I mean really. Do they think you can get away without clothes? It's overboard in so many ways. And I won't fly them.

But this one is a good one ...

Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry-ons ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100406/ap_on_bi_ge/us_carry_on_fee

Now if the other airlines would do this and drop the checked baggage fee things would start to improve.

I'm with you. They can charge all they want for overhead baggage if they give us a checked bag for free. That's fine. But knowing these unreasonable, unrealistic airlines, they won't.

Archived