spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

It is embarrassing to admit but I do not know how to cut and paste. Our son and daughter-in-law used to walk me through everything then leave me written instructions but they moved to Texas (we're in NJ). I'm really not that old just have very little computer background and no formal instructions. (Or perhaps no patience to learn!)

Move your mouse to the beginning of the text that you want to copy. Press the left mouse button and hold it down. Now highlight all the text you want to copy. When it is all highlighted, stop pressing the left mouse button.

Now move the mouse so that it is over the text that you highlighted. Press the right mouse button. A little menu will appear. Left click on the word copy.

Now go to the post and right click. A little menu will pop up. Left click on the word paste. The text will then appear in your post.

Here you go

To our valued customers,

We have all seen how carry-on baggage has gotten out of control. Longer security lines and boarding process, injuries due to overcrowded overhead bins, delayed flights and passenger frustration has become commonplace.

At Spirit, we are always looking for new ways to save you money and improve the customer experience. We recently announced our latest innovation, which is designed to relieve the carry-on crisis, saving you time and money.

Our solution to the carry-on crisis:

1. Lowered fares

2. Lower checked bag fees

3. Give everyone a free personal item allowance

4. Allow customers to carry on an additional bag for a fee and give them

priority boarding so they have time and space to stow their extra bag

Everyone Wins!

1. We expect total prices to be lower

2. Security lines will move faster

3. The boarding process will be smoother

4. Deplaning will be faster

5. Passenger and employee safety is improved with less over-stuffed bins

What to expect for travel after August 1st:

1. We have introduced PENNY PLUS™ fares available to our $9 Fare Club members** that are 1¢ each way plus fuel, taxes and fees*. If you are not already a member, click here to join.

2. We have lowered checked bag fees for $9 Fare Club members. A family of four checking four bags round-trip will save $80. Double the cost of being a $9 Fare Club member. Another reason to join now. Click here to join.

3. You can bring a FREE personal item onboard, such as a purse, briefcase, backpack or laptop computer. Other exceptions are: assistive devices, medicine, umbrella, outer garments (coats, hats, wraps), camera, car seat/stroller, infant diaper bag, reading material for the flight, or food for immediate consumption.

4. If you choose to bring an extra carry-on bag, you may do so for $20 if purchased online as a $9 Fare Club member or $30 online, at the airport ticket counter or kiosk for non-members. If you choose to wait until the gate to pay, the fee will be $45 which is not preferred since it will slow the boarding process.

5. Shorter, faster security and boarding lines. Less frustration while boarding and deplaning. Fewer delays.

6. Happier customers that pay less!

See you onboard soon! We’ll keep working to improve your experience and lower your fare.

Ben Baldanza

President and Chief Executive Officer

Spirit Airlines

Regardless of our individual opinions, here's my prediction when the Spirit fees take effect in August- they will have a modest increase in revenue and they will keep the carry-on fee. Admittedly I have no skin in the Spirit game since they don't fly any routes I travel.

It appears that they just might not be charging for carry on afterall!! We are fortunate enough that we dont have to pay anything for luggage as long as they dont weigh more than 70lbs for 3 pieces of luggage (we have delta perks) There are some people who cram so much with their carry on, perhaps they need to go after those people and not the ones who are bringing on a reasonable carry on.

Even better is the fact that the Senators are going after the airlines to prevent this from even starting let alone staying in place or allowing other airlines to do it as well. [K]udos for these senators. Yeah.

"Unlike heavy suitcases, that belong down in an aircraft's hold, carry-on luggage is where people keep items essential to their health, work and safety like laptop computers, medications, food to eat on the plane, baby formula, eye glasses and other essentials that need to be kept close at hand"

First, please don't confuse me for an apologist for Spirit. I'm quite happy with my fee-laden legacy carrier thanks. :D As an outside observer, besides finding it interesting that Sen. Cardin would like to re-regulate a de-regulated industry, probably what is more telling is that if one were to have actually read Spirit's actual policy, instead of shooting from the lip, the learned senator would actually have read in addition to a knapsack-sized carry-on that is being permitted free of charge, most of the things that he would be going on about were specifically exempted by Spirit (namely diaper bags, assistive devices, food for the flight, car seat / stroller, reading material, outerwear, cameras, umbrellas)

That my friends, is your government hard at work. It must give you a lot of confidence on your elected representatives' grasp of the issues when they can't even read a single page press release. :rolleyes:

Scott.

... if one were to have actually read Spirit's actual policy, instead of shooting from the lip, the learned senator would actually have read in addition to a knapsack-sized carry-on that is being permitted free of charge, most of the things that he would be going on about were specifically exempted by Spirit (namely diaper bags, assistive devices, food for the flight, car seat / stroller, reading material, outerwear, cameras, umbrellas)
Scott, please. How many times have we asked you already to please refrain from injecting facts and logic into discussions about the Great Satans in the Skies?

It appears that they just might not be charging for carry on afterall!! We are fortunate enough that we dont have to pay anything for luggage as long as they dont weigh more than 70lbs for 3 pieces of luggage (we have delta perks) There are some people who cram so much with their carry on, perhaps they need to go after those people and not the ones who are bringing on a reasonable carry on.

Frankly, I'd rather they let us check things for free and charged us for carry-on.

It's started to get to the point where people are carrying aboard small elephants and compact cars and trying to shove them in the overhead.

I'm waiting for someone to be killed or seriously injured by 70lbs of luggage falling on their heads in the middle of a flight.

We are fortunate enough that we dont have to pay anything for luggage as long as they dont weigh more than 70lbs for 3 pieces of luggage (we have delta perks)

If you are talking about the first class allowance on DL, that is 3 bags with up to 70 pounds EACH, not total for the three. So, you can take the kitchen sink and put it in the cargo hold.

For DL elite FF in coach, you get two bags, again up to 70 pounds each.

Frankly, I'd rather they let us check things for free and charged us for carry-on.

It's started to get to the point where people are carrying aboard small elephants and compact cars and trying to shove them in the overhead.

I'm waiting for someone to be killed or seriously injured by 70lbs of luggage falling on their heads in the middle of a flight.

I agree. I didn't see too many oversized carry-ons until the airlines started charging to check a bag.

I don't, in any way, agree with airlines charging for the 1st checked bag. I think it would be more reasonable if the 1st bag was free and charged a fee for the 2nd.

But, since the policies are what they are, I think that the airlines need to start adhering to their own rules and regulations about the size of carry-on bags. If it doesn't fit in that little metal thing at the gate, the passenger should be charged to check the bag. If they don't want to pay to check it, they should be charged to carry it on.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking for a personal item which maximizes the allowed dimensions. Does anyone know what the test is. Could i have a larger back pack which will squish into the space allowed?

We used to bring a tote which fit under their seats, but it is 17" at the base, so i don't know if this will work.

I want to know ahead of time as their are 9 of us and 45 extra each will not be a welcome surprise.

Has anyone actually been through the test?

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone flown Spirit airlines recently?

I want to avoid a $45 charge for a carry-on.

Best way is to not fly Spirit in the first place.

Simple rule....if it looks like a carry-on, it's not a personal item. You will NOT be able to claim your overloaded backpack as a personal item. Personal item means just that.

We are booked on Spirit because we are going at Christmas time and the cost difference was over $500 each for 9 people. That was quite a savings.

We are not trying to get around the rules. In the past we used the third bag of a three piece suitcase set for a personal item and it fit easily under the seat. When i measured it it is 17" at the base, and the base isn't all that forgiving. I thought of a back pack because it was forgiving. I don't want to get there and be charged 9 $45 fees :eek:, so I'm trying to do my research ahead of time.

I just need to know if anyone has flown Spirit lately and what has been their experience, or what have they seen the check-in personnel do to measure the personal item.

thanks

Jo-Anne

Flew Spirit on Sept 11 and again on Sept 16th.

They measure the checked bag and it has to be exactly 50lbs..no exceptions. I also carried a napsack as a personal item. I stuffed it.

As long as it fits under the seat you will be fine. As much as I am also miffed with the extra baggage fee. It was getting way out of hand. People were dragging 2 large personal items on board and taking for ever to get seated and disembark the plane. This past Sept it was quick and once on the plane I stuck my bag in the over head and there was no charge once on the plane.

I for one look for the best deal. My number one rule is fly direct if possible.

PS pay for the bags on line. Much cheaper

4canucks

Thanks for the reply. I was reading reports the indicated that they were measuring personal items at the gate and charging if over the size restraint.

I've used the totes which come with the suitcase set and have had no problem in the past storing them under the seat. They do however measure 17" across the bottom. Back packs would be larger, and don't seem to be a problem getting on board.

Just looking for guidance on how they measure the personal item.

thanks

Archived