Quick Question concerning CSA

Kabes

My flight is not scheduled to arrive until 2:00pm on the day of my cruise and the ship sets sail at 5:00.

I had no other alternative when choosing this flight because of exceedingly high prices.

Because of the short time frame I decided to get cruise insurance with CSA. If my flight is delayed for lets say two hours, will I be covered? Will I be able to catch a flight to the first port of call and be covered?

The post departure trip interruptions, travel delay and missed connection benefits are confusing.

Thanks for your help!

My flight is not scheduled to arrive until 2:00pm on the day of my cruise and the ship sets sail at 5:00.

I had no other alternative when choosing this flight because of exceedingly high prices.

Because of the short time frame I decided to get cruise insurance with CSA. If my flight is delayed for lets say two hours, will I be covered? Will I be able to catch a flight to the first port of call and be covered?

The post departure trip interruptions, travel delay and missed connection benefits are confusing.

Thanks for your help!

CSA is one of the better plans for this type of situation. If you miss the ship because of an airline delay you have a trip interruption:

"Post-Departure Trip Interruption

We will pay a Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if: 1) your arrival on your Covered Trip is delayed beyond the Scheduled Departure Date;" [note: the amount on the schedule is 150% of the trip cost you insured]

What it pays for is:

"Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefits:

We will reimburse you, less any refund paid or payable, for unused land or water travel arrangements, plus one of the following:

1. the additional transportation expenses by the most directroute from the point you interrupted your Covered Trip:

a. to the next scheduled destination where you can catch

up to your Covered Trip;"

So what you'd file a claim for is the value of any missed days on the cruise plus the cost of the air ticket to get you to the next port of call. Hotels meals, etc would be covered under a separate trip delay claim.

What events are covered for the trip interruption benefit?

"the following unforeseeable events or their consequences which occur while coverage is in force under the Policy:

1. Common Carrier delays resulting from bad weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach on which you are scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;

2. arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach

on which the Insured is scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.

Items 1 and 2 above are subject to the following conditions:

a. the scheduled carrier connecting times must meet airline legal minimum-connect times; and

b. the scheduled time between arrival at the Scheduled Trip Departure City and the scheduled Covered Trip departure must be 2 hours or longer."

So as long as you are scheduled to arrive in the departure port at least two hours prior to sailing and the cause of the delay is one of those events listed above you're good.

The Missed Connection benefit requires a three hour delay and only covers delays due to weather. Not as good in your case as the trip interruption benefit.

Trip Delay won't cover the value of your missed days on the cruise or the flight to catch up with the ship. Here's what it does cover:

"Travel Delay

If your Covered Trip is delayed for 6 hours or more, we will reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule,for reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls and local transportation while you are delayed. We will not pay benefits for "expenses incurred after travel becomes possible."

So the trip interruption benefit covers the value of any missed days on the cruise plus the cost of getting to the next port of call. The trip delay benefit will cover hotel, meals, etc that you incur while you are waiting to re-join the cruise.

I also think that you are cutting it too close. I know RCCL and Celebrity make you be at the port 90 minutes before. I wonder if the insurance company could refuse payment since you did not leave yourself enough time.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Kabes,

CSA has different plans. Which one do you have?

Steve Dasseos

Thank you all for your help! This web site is awesome.

We just found a flight and booked it that will get us in Fort Lauderdale by 10:30 in the morning.

The insurance plan is 5vtg, I am debating whether or not I should keep it now that we are not cutting our flights so close.

Kyle

You never know what will happen. I had one friend who had a death in the family a few days before sailing and had to cancel the trip. Another friend had a death in the family right before sailing and had to fly back home . I used the insurance on the way home from a cruise when Continental cancelled all their flights into Newark and said they could not get us on a flight for two days but Jet Blue had a flight that day with seats available. Insurance picked up the difference between what the Continental ticket was and what the Jet Blue ticket was. It is worth the peace of mind

Archived