Private Tour from Piraeus - Something besides Athens

mek

I am planning a trip to Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidavros on the day my ship gets into port in Athens. (I will be staying on in Athens for 4 days.)

There is a lot to do in Athens; my first visit there via cruise ship only scratched the surface -- have you really done all there is to do there? Just something to consider.

Some have recommended the drive done to Cape Sounion to see the temple of Poseidon ruins, but I have heard others say that it's a longish drive for a nice view and photo op.

Corinth sounds interesting and the ship has a tour going there,(the only one that doesn't go to Athens.) Guess I need to look at a map and then contact some tour companies. Thanks.

Not sure how long you have (in Athens) ... but, on our next trip, we are taking a ferry (or renting a car from Athens) and going to a small fishing-resort town called Gythio. There is also a Ferry that goes to & from Gythio to the port of Pireaus (if your taking a cruise) so it's very convenient. Gythio is a port town with lots of good fish restaurants and ouzeries and is within driving distance of Mystros (the Byzantine ruins); also the Diros Caves and the town of Sparta. I got a lot of good info from the web site: http://www.GreekTravel.com -- matt barrett's travel guides, etc. -- which has a lot good info no matter where you want to visit.

We are there 7am to 5pm - not sure I would feel comfortable renting a car or depending on ferry service since we can't read Greek or speak the language. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will research the area and perhaps a tour guide could take us there.

We've been to Athens before and would like to do a private tour. Any suggestions what we can do and who to use?

An alternative tour that was suggested to us by our tour company in Athens is a trip to Marathon and the temple of Artemis in Vravron. Both are located in the countryside right outside Athens.

We once rented a car in Pireaus and had an absolutely fantastic day for about $100. We drove from near the port along the coast to Sounion and stopped along the route to go swimming in a delightful beach. After we got to Sounion we decided to head back towards Athens via an inland route and stumbled on a really neat cave complex. Finally, having seen an awful lot of the countryside we returned to Pireaus.

Hank

Just my opinion but Gythio is too far for a day trip. You might speed over in a car if you take the national highway, but only gets you part way, and any other roads in the Peloponnese are windy, hilly and thus slow. Not sure about the ferry, not sure you can get directly there from Piraeus, but I would imagine it would take too many hours to get there.

Napflio is a great small city, very old and picturesque, and close to Mycenae. Epidavros is on the way. Both sites are amazing, and the scenery coming and going is great.

Or...if you want a typical Greek village, take a fast ferry over to Poros, or Aegina for the day.

Archived