Non-cruising family member ill - trying to buy insurance = help!!

We have 2 cruises booked. Deposits paid a while ago and both are paid in full, although the final payment date has not yet passed. One is in June with 6 of us in 3 cabins and one in October with just 2 of us in one cabin. The cruise in June is my husband and I in one cabin and the other 2 cabins are our grown kids and their significant others. The one in October is just my husband and I.

We have never bought travel insurance on any of our 17 previous cruises so I'm very confused.

My father has been diagnosed with lung cancer within the last week. He is not traveling with us, but I'd like to get trip cancellation/interuption because we just don't know what the future holds.

I am confused by the pre-existing condition clauses because the ones I've seen do not specify if they are only for those traveling or not.

I'd like a policy where if we needed to cancel the trip because my Dad took a turn for the worse, it would be covered, even if it's only with future cruise voucher. We are sailing on Carnival.

Suggestions??? Please???

Thanks for your help!

Lori

We have 2 cruises booked. Deposits paid a while ago and both are paid in full, although the final payment date has not yet passed. One is in June with 6 of us in 3 cabins and one in October with just 2 of us in one cabin. The cruise in June is my husband and I in one cabin and the other 2 cabins are our grown kids and their significant others. The one in October is just my husband and I.

We have never bought travel insurance on any of our 17 previous cruises so I'm very confused.

My father has been diagnosed with lung cancer within the last week. He is not traveling with us, but I'd like to get trip cancellation/interuption because we just don't know what the future holds.

I am confused by the pre-existing condition clauses because the ones I've seen do not specify if they are only for those traveling or not.

I'd like a policy where if we needed to cancel the trip because my Dad took a turn for the worse, it would be covered, even if it's only with future cruise voucher. We are sailing on Carnival.

Suggestions??? Please???

Thanks for your help!

Lori

You are past the time period to buy a policy that will cover pre-existing conditions. Carnival's plan will give you a credit toward a future cruise if your claim is denied because of a pre-existing condition. Call them and see if you cam still get a policy.

Option #2 is to pick a plan that does not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members. One such plan is the Vacation plan from TravelSafe. Here's how they define a pre-ex condition:

"Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, or Your Traveling Companion, or Your and/or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member traveling with You . . . "

So it only applies to you and someone traveling with you. To contrast this is from a plan that DOES apply the pre-ex exclusion to non-traveling family members:

"Pre-Existing Condition" means any Injury, Sickness or condition of You, a Traveling Companion or Your and/or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member for which . . . "

Notice that ANY family member would be included, traveling with you or not.

I would email the insurer directly, explain the situation to them and don't buy unless you get the answer you want in writing.

Archived