car seat required?

swissfamily

We are doing a one-way Alaska cruise and I am trying to determine if I need the carseat for the Princess shuttle service. Has anyone used the shuttle service - would I even be able to use my carseat in Whittier?

Thanks,

Swissfamily

We did a one way Alaska itinerary with a 2yr old last Summer and brought a car seat. Could have probably done it without one, but we had a couple rental cars and wanted our own car seat for those. Otherwise all our transportation was bus, train or plane which we didn't needed a car seat for.

If you take any taxis, you will need it...it's the law in America!

Not exactly....

car seat laws are state laws, not federal and, therefore, vary by state. Many states specifically exempt taxis from their car seat laws. I personally don't know if Alaska does. Call an Alaskan or google it. :)

Not exactly....

car seat laws are state laws, not federal and, therefore, vary by state. Many states specifically exempt taxis from their car seat laws. I personally don't know if Alaska does. Call an Alaskan or google it. :)

I nice summary for most sate car seat laws (but taxi is missing)

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

We are doing the Whittier - Vancouver cruise on 5/15 on the Diamond Princess with our 3.5yo. We have a large group so we booked a private van transfer (which will have seatbelts). I am going to try out the Safe Rider vest for her. It works like a belt-positioning booster but it's a vest that the child wears that has the positioners built in. The newer model size small is rated for 30-60lbs. We weren't going to take a car seat at all but I think this is better than nothing and I can carry it in my backpack when we are on a tour if necessary. There's a good review of it here - http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/review_ridesafer.htm

You can't use it on an airplane but we are planning on using the CARES for our plane trip. More about the CARES is at http://kidsflysafe.com. I am not affiliated with either of these companies, just some handy travel products for little ones that I've come across.

Archived