Hi - embarrassing question

DrSeuss

The traditional way to pronounce cay is like key, however, if enough people mispronounce a word long enough it will eventually end up in the dictionary.

The correct way to pronounce any proper name is the way the namer wants it pronounced, regardless of whether the word would be pronounced that way it it weren't in a name.

Yes. Just ask Ralph Fiennes.

Stxman has it right, as usual- thanks for all the laughs on this thread.

Here on St. Croix, we have cays pronounced as keys- Green Cay, etc.

And just when you thought you had it all figured out... my Puerto Rican and Dominican Repulblic friends call it Santa Cruz.

This fair island has been ruled by seven nations, so it has gone through many names over the decades.

As many have said it is "croy" but someone mentioned that they had always said cruise. that is understandable because it was originally named by Christopher columbus in 1493. he named the island Santa Cruz. pronouncesd "saunta cruise". it slowly evolved over the years to be known now as St. Croix. "Saint Croy"

My understanding (which may be mistaken) is that when the French took over the island from the Spanish in 1650, they changed Columbus's name "Santa Cruz" to the French "Saint-Croix". (means, the same thing: "Holy Cross") The French pronunciation would have been (approximately) "saan crwaah".

The island had various owners for the next 250 years, and while it's difficult to say when the pronunciation became Americanized to "Saint Croy", it likely was after Denmark sold the island to the US in 1917.

• 2 weeks later...
As many have said it is "croy" but someone mentioned that they had always said cruise. that is understandable because it was originally named by Christopher columbus in 1493. he named the island Santa Cruz. pronouncesd "saunta cruise". it slowly evolved over the years to be known now as St. Croix. "Saint Croy"

By the way, not an embarassing question at all....just most people dont ask. we would rather have you ask and tell you before you get here, than laugh and correct you when you are here!

Thank you so much for all your responses. Now I know how to pronounce it I just need to decided what to do when I am there:D

• 2 weeks later...

Pronounciations.....don't even get me started! I live in SC, but am not FROM here, it still amazes me the way some things are pronounced after living here for 13+ years!

I learned last year on a cruise it's Cay-MAN islands (emaphsis on the MAN).....think I actually inadvertantly used to say Caymen.

My question: How do you pronounce Curacao? Is is "Sear-a-sow"?

Archived