Port, Starboard or Aft?

We're booked on our first Royal Caribbean cruise (cruised Carnival a couple of times before) on the Splendour of the Seas, sailing from Venice on November 20. The ports of call are Split Croatia, Naples, Rome, Florence, Toulon France and Barcelona.

This will be our honeymoon, so obviously we would like it to be very special. We're already booked in a junior suite on the port side. Over the weekend my fiance noticed an aft junior suite on the corner of the ship was available.

My fiance really likes the idea of switching to the aft cabin just for the balcony. However, I'm not sold. I don't think we'd get very good views of the ports back there, and I don't want to stare at a wake all day. I like the relaxing affect of staring at the serene sea--the view off of our previous side of the ship balconies was perfect for this. Plus the view from our balconies on the sides of the ship when entering port has been spectacular. I'm not sure you get those kinds of views entering the ports from the extreme rear of the ship.

We're still debating the aft room, but then it got me thinking about the direction the ship would be traveling and wondering if we shouldn't switch to a starboard room.

So, I turn to the Cruise Critic experts with several questions:

1) Do the Splendour of the Seas aft junior suite balconies on the corner of deck 8 wrap around? If they do then I might be more into the idea of the aft room.

2) Do the Splendour of the Seas aft junior suite balconies look straight down to the water, or on to other decks below?

3) Does an aft balcony room offer better views, or just a deeper balcony?

3) Is a starboard or port side room better for views when sailing in the Mediterranean?

4) Do the ships always dock on one side of the ship in the Mediterranean ports, or is it really always different?

Any insight or opinions you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

Here's something to think about, reqarding which "side" of the ship to book...it won't really matter! The ship doesn't always dock to the same side everytime.

I find I prefer being on the side away from the dock, as when you're on your balcony in port, the dock workers and passengers are right there, staring at you! The views will be great from either side! And, in those ports, you'll most likely NOT be on the ship....you'll be out and about, exploring!

There are just so many open places for wonderful, 360 degree views, being stuck on your balcony limits your views!

Sailing out of Venice is absolutely awesome. My input would be the port side of the ship for this sailaway alone. From the port side you will get to see the grand Canal, Doge's Palace, St Marks, Santa Maria della Salute, etc. In late November it should be getting dark when you leave and Venice takes on a whole different setting as the lights go on. I guarantee it will be something to remember.

As for aft cabins, we personally don't like them. You have a bigger balcony, but you get to see where you've been, not where you're going. We've had two aft balconies and would not get another.

The corner aft balconies don't wrap all the way around but they do offer you a little view up the side of the ship. You will definitely be able to see more from a corner aft than you will from a side balcony. On the side, the most you will be able to see is 180 degrees. From the aft you can see almost 270 degrees. You will be able to see the shore no matter which side of the ship it is on. AND... IMHO the view of the wake (at least in Caribbean waters) is absolutely gorgeous.

Actually, I'll also say it doesn't matter so much which side, because Royal Caribbean mostly docks in industrial ports on Mediterranean cruises. Which means the views that you'll be missing will be views of containers and shipping crates and barges. I would go with whichever cabin/location you like best, because as the cb at sea noted, ship docks different sides in every port. From everything I've read, aft balconies sound like the best ones (I only had a starboard balcony once). But most importantly, enjoy the cruise, it sounds AMAZING!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to try to talk my fiance into staying in our already booked port suite, but at least now I feel better that if he's really persistent on the aft balcony I might like it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to try to talk my fiance into staying in our already booked port suite, but at least now I feel better that if he's really persistent on the aft balcony I might like it.

Once you go aft, you never go back. It really is a fabulous location. You will not be sorry.

Don't do it! We had the portside aft cabin in 2003 and it was amazing. Even though it doesn't wrap around, the side views were still terrific. Also consider that the balcony is large enough to hold a couple of loungers in addition to chairs and a small table, so you won't ever have to fight for one by the pool.

The one caveat is that you will look down on the outside portion of the crew deck - Splendour's stern cabins don't look straight down to the water. Twice on Vision class ships (Rhapsody being the other), we've heard their parties late at night. I didn't find it bothersome on Splendour, but it was a little too loud in the wee hours on Rhapsody.

But I found it a small price to pay for the amazing views and huge balcony. Do it - you won't be sorry! Unless you're super prone to seasickness or have mobility issues that would make the walk too hard for you...

Sailing out of Venice is absolutely awesome. My input would be the port side of the ship for this sailaway alone. From the port side you will get to see the grand Canal, Doge's Palace, St Marks, Santa Maria della Salute, etc. In late November it should be getting dark when you leave and Venice takes on a whole different setting as the lights go on. I guarantee it will be something to remember.

As for aft cabins, we personally don't like them. You have a bigger balcony, but you get to see where you've been, not where you're going. We've had two aft balconies and would not get another.

I've not sailed out of Venice, but I've been there a few times. I seem to remember that cruise ship docking is near the train station, isn't it? That would put San Marco and Dodge's Palace are on the oposite end of the Grand Canale I think.

I've not sailed out of Venice, but I've been there a few times. I seem to remember that cruise ship docking is near the train station, isn't it? That would put San Marco and Dodge's Palace are on the oposite end of the Grand Canale I think.

The dock is close to the train station, the cruise ships sail down the Canale dellla Guidecca, not the Grand Canal. Guess they wouldn't make it under the Rialto Bridge.:D San Marco is at the opposite end of the Grand Canal to the train station, but the sail away sails past the lower end of the Grand Canal where it joins the Canale della Guidecca and Canale San Marco. It's an amazing site.

Don't do it! We had the portside aft cabin in 2003 and it was amazing. Even though it doesn't wrap around, the side views were still terrific.

So the corner aft balconies do have a bit of the balcony to the side? I was looking at the deck plan and it makes it look like the balcony cuts off before the side of the ship.

Can you see my attachment? In it the aft balconies are shown. The two corner balconies--8080 and 8580--have a gray line where the balcony wall should be, and then what appears to be dead space to the side. Is that white space to the side of the cabin reachable, as in part of the balcony?

Can you see what I'm talking about?

1133649136_SplendourDeckPlan.jpg.de440ee7d1c75163ec8343b4e075c14e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
So the corner aft balconies do have a bit of the balcony to the side? I was looking at the deck plan and it makes it look like the balcony cuts off before the side of the ship.

Can you see my attachment? In it the aft balconies are shown. The two corner balconies--8080 and 8580--have a gray line where the balcony wall should be, and then what appears to be dead space to the side. Is that white space to the side of the cabin reachable, as in part of the balcony?

I was wondering if anyone is able to answer the question above? The aft balcony is still available, but I'm still confused. Is the white space to the side of cabins 8080 and 8580 reachable from the balcony? If those white spaces aren't reachable, then I'm not sure I really understand how you would have views to the side.....

1286013444_SplendourDeckPlan.jpg.473ebd8133ae87dfcced05122e781665.jpg

• 5 months later...

We haven't sailed yet. We sail Nov. 20th. We decided not to take the aft balcony. I could never get anyone to confirm that the balcony included that little white space to the side. It seemed to me that it was just the balcony to the back. That, plus the fact that from what I can gather the aft balconies on the Splendour don't look out over the water, but rather a deck, made us pass. I'll see if I can get a good look at them when we're sailing though and report back what I see.

Archived