BW Meridian Inn Orange CA

packup

Is there a reason you are staying all the way over in Orange? The reason I ask is that there are BW hotels much closer, within walking distance of Disneyland. If you won a bid on Priceline, that would be different.

It looks like the location is close to the freeway, which makes it easy to get to places. There is The Block, a shopping area that is open air, it was real nice when built, but I haven't been over there in several years. I don't know the exact mileage to Hollywood, but would guestimate it to be 30-40 miles. The port isn't real close either, San Pedro is around 25-30 miles from there, Long Beach probably 20-25 miles.

We measure driving in time rather than miles here, so Hollywood could be anywhere from 35 minutes to 2 hours away. The ports are probably 30-45 minutes from you.

I almost hate to say it, but I'm not real crazy for the area where you are staying, one of the reasons I haven't been around there for years. Hopefully someone who lives in the area will come and tell me I'm all wrong ;)

Go to tripadvisor.com and check out the reviews there.

The Block has had its ups and downs over the years and with the current economy it losing more and more store fronts.

I think you would be better off staying closer to Disneyland.

I have not stayed at the hotel but it is probably about a 10 minute drive to DL. It will of course take longer in the bus because of the stopping. Nothing wrong with the area. Lot's of restaurants to eat at. Close to Angel stadium if you like baseball. It is close to the freeway so that will be convenient to get Universal and the port. If you are in town and will sight see on a Saturday, make that your day at Universal. The traffic should be better and DL is a zoo.

Jen in SoCal

We're paying $75.90 per night for a king room. I read that it's about 10-15 minutes from Disneyland. Also, read there's a bus that stops in front of hotel and goes to Disneyland.

Thanks Jen for making me feel better about my hotel choice.

We're thinking about going to Disneyland on Thursday and Friday.

Are we better off buying 2-day passes at the gate?

For Saturday, we're looking at Knott's Berry Farm. My kids are in their early 20's. They booked a queen suite at the BW Meridian. Not sure about touring Hollywood.

Any opinion on Knott's Berry Farm? Any suggestion for a fun Saturday in CA? I know there's lots of things to do, but I haven't found the time to research. I'd love to get some suggestions.

Yes, get a park hopper. That way you can go to both parks on the same day. It may cost a bit more but DCA usually is not a full day but there are some great attractions there. It may sound silly with kids in their 20's but if you at all like production shows, do not miss Aladdin, it is really top notch. Another favorite you may not plan on is Toy Story Mania, tons of fun (I think the adults like it more than the kids).

If you can buy your tickets ahead that will save time. The gate lines can be long. If you buy at the gate plan to be at the park before opening (try for 1 hour ahead) to park, take tram, go through security, buy tickets and enter the park. You will wait on Main Street until the official opening time if you are early. Head to your thrill rides and Nemo early in the day and use the fast past system.

You will probably eat in the parks, but near your hotel are many fast food locations and sit down locations. Don't waste time eating breakfast at the parks, eat on the way. You will get the most done right after the park opens. For food at DL I like Plaza Inn, Pizza Port (for the pasta not the pizza) and River Belle Terrace. For a splurge you can need a reservation for the Blue Bayou, high end dining at a high price. At DCA I like Taste Pilot's Grill (do not get the BBQ chicken sandwich tough, awful) and the Mexican food place and Pacific Wharf Cafe both at the Pacific Wharf area.

I would probably drive to DL rather than taking the bus from that distance to save time. It is probably about the same price for 4 bus tickets round trip (depends if they are talking county bus or the tourist bus). I think parking is at $12 per day now.

If you like thrill rides (or your kids do) Knott's is great . There are non thrill rides and shows as well and at certain times of the year a Snoopy Ice Show (better than you would expect). If you go to Knott's, be sure to eat lunch or dinner at Mrs. Knott's. It is famous for its fried chicken and boysenberry pie. Portions are big so unless you are big eaters you may want to split plates. Knotts has themed areas like the Wild West. For a snack in the park get a funnel cake.

Universal is good too and not a bad drive on a Saturday from Anaheim. After visiting Universal you can go park at Hollywood and Highland and take in a view of the Hollywood sign, go to Mann's Chinese Theater to see the prints in the cement and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. There is also a Ripley's Believe It or Not, 2 Wax Museums's and a Guiness Book of World Records very close to the center (under a 5 minute walk). If you stay in that general area it should be safe at night.

Jen in SoCal

Thanks Jen for making me feel better about my hotel choice.

We're thinking about going to Disneyland on Thursday and Friday.

Are we better off buying 2-day passes at the gate?

For Saturday, we're looking at Knott's Berry Farm. My kids are in their early 20's. They booked a queen suite at the BW Meridian. Not sure about touring Hollywood.

Any opinion on Knott's Berry Farm? Any suggestion for a fun Saturday in CA? I know there's lots of things to do, but I haven't found the time to research. I'd love to get some suggestions.

Jen - Thanks for all the great info. We are BIG Disney World fans. We go almost every year. We LOVE Toy Story Mania and will be sure to see Aladdin. Thanks for the dining suggestions. We are not renting a car, so we'll have to rely on taxi, buses and shuttle transportation.

Well then I am glad I mentioned the food options. It is pretty different from WDW in terms of food. Not much formal dining/table service. If you are big fans, consider a meal at Blue Bayou. You need reservations if you want to be sure of eating there. On busy days you cannot even do stand by.

I checked and ART does pick up at the BW. The system goes to tourist sites, restaurants and motels. The website is http://www.rideart.org. You can buy a day pass for $4, very reasonable.

As you will not have a car you may want to reconsider a motel closer to DL. If you can find something walkable in your price range it will just be easier. I don't know when you are going but the Fairfield Inn is right across the street from DL. Family stayed there about a year ago and they were happy. There are many others very close to DL.

Jen in SoCal

Jen - Thanks for all the great info. We are BIG Disney World fans. We go almost every year. We LOVE Toy Story Mania and will be sure to see Aladdin. Thanks for the dining suggestions. We are not renting a car, so we'll have to rely on taxi, buses and shuttle transportation.

Jen - I looked at the ART site. That will work just fine for us. We will enjoy the sites as we ride the bus to Disney. A straight drive is only 10 minutes, so if the bus takes 20-30 minutes, that will be fine. I just hope we don't miss getting on in the morning, since it only stops at our hotel every 60 minutes. We have family and friends staying at the Meridian. They will not be going to Disney, but we will meet up for breakfast and later in the evening.

My sister will be arriving at Disney's Grand Californian on a Friday, after visiting San Diego. She won't be using her rental car, after checking in at Disney, so she said we can take it back to our hotel Friday night.

We will use the rental to get to Knott's Berry Farm on Saturday. I plan on eating lunch at Mrs. Knott's and then meeting relatives for an 8:00 dinner at the Cheesecake factory at the Anaheim Gardenwalk. What's your opinion?

If you miss the AM bus consider a cab over waiting 1 hour for the next bus. Take some time to check out the Grand Californian if you can. I have stayed there twice and walked around many times. It really is a neat hotel, especially if you go to WDW a lot it is like one of the themed hotels there.

Good plan to use the rental car to go to Knott's Saturday. It is only about 10 to 15 minutes from Knott's to Gardenwalk. I have not been to that Cheesecake Factory but I am sure it is like all the others. The funnel cakes at Knott's are excellent! Good plain or with Boysenberry topping, so save room after lunch for a snack. Again, try to get there at opening for the least crowds. Some of the more unique rides to the park are the Calico Mine Ride, Log Ride, the Stagecoach, the train, the Skycabin (did that New Year's Eve and saw firework from all over SoCal) and Mystery Lodge (not a ride but short of a show). I think I mentioned the Wild West stunt show and ice shows before. There are tons of coasters and thrill rides.

Jen in So Cal

Jen - I looked at the ART site. That will work just fine for us. We will enjoy the sites as we ride the bus to Disney. A straight drive is only 10 minutes, so if the bus takes 20-30 minutes, that will be fine. I just hope we don't miss getting on in the morning, since it only stops at our hotel every 60 minutes. We have family and friends staying at the Meridian. They will not be going to Disney, but we will meet up for breakfast and later in the evening.

My sister will be arriving at Disney's Grand Californian on a Friday, after visiting San Diego. She won't be using her rental car, after checking in at Disney, so she said we can take it back to our hotel Friday night.

We will use the rental to get to Knott's Berry Farm on Saturday. I plan on eating lunch at Mrs. Knott's and then meeting relatives for an 8:00 dinner at the Cheesecake factory at the Anaheim Gardenwalk. What's your opinion?

decided to rent a minivan for the 4 days that we'll be in California...in June

Plans are:

Day 1 - drive to hotel and drop off luggage...drive to New Port Beach (son is a big OC fan) or drive to Hollywood for the tourist sites

Day 2 & 3 - drive to Disneyland

Day 4...drive to Knott's Berry Farm and return rental to LAX after dinner...take shuttle back to hotel

we arranged a group pick up with a shuttle company for a ride from hotel to San Pedro to board the Mariner of the Seas

Archived