Italy cruise May 2010

We are on Navigator from Civitavecchia on May 30th and have booked our flights independently. We are worried that the flights might be disrupted due to the Iceland volcano eruption - the experts are telling us that disruption might continue for six months from now!!!

Is anyone else in the same boat? (pardon the pun!!)

We are considering driving but it is 1000 miles between Calais and Civitavecchia and we can't leave until Friday evening due to my daughters exams.

it would be good to hear what other people think.

Thanks!

Yeah, we're worrying, too. We're supposed to fly into Oslo on 5/5. Hopefully, we'll be able to. We've REALLY been looking forward to this trip.

We purchased curise care insurance. But, I'm still hoping the volcano will stop erupting and the ash will clear up.

RCI says they'll continue to provide regular updates, but I couldn't find much more than this: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do;jsessionid=0000q2KknNql2DED8u0UI_oaxQS:13hldcctq

If you can make it to Calais, maybe the Paris to Rome train is an option?

Here is the link:

http://www.eurorailways.com/products/night_trains/paris_to_rome.htm

From Rome it's only another hour or so by train to get to Civitavecchia and the port is practically within walking distance from the train station in Civitavecchia.

Let us know how you make out éh? We loved our 14 day Med.cruise in 2004 and we envy you...:D..... Have a great cruise éh!

We are on Navigator from Civitavecchia on May 30th and have booked our flights independently. We are worried that the flights might be disrupted due to the Iceland volcano eruption - the experts are telling us that disruption might continue for six months from now!!!

We are considering driving but it is 1000 miles between Calais and Civitavecchia and we can't leave until Friday evening due to my daughters exams.

Thanks!

I think, I wouldn't worry too much about the end of May at this point. The present unprecedented disruption is not only a result of the eruption in Iceland, but also the current combination of stable weather over Northern Europe and the jetstream locations. Eventually this airmass will be dissipated and blown East and normality will return.

It is possible that continuing eruptions will cause intermittent problems for as long as that situation occurs. However it is the current combination of meteorology and volcanic fallout that is causing the problem.

Thanks!

I hope by the time we leave for our trips, the weather pattern changes and the volcano ash, if still erupting, heads north of Europe. I'm flying to Rome on May 18 for a cruise out of Venice on May 22....I will keep you posted on our trip and will still be in Italy when you arrive. Let's hope this thing clears up soon.:)

I think, I wouldn't worry too much about the end of May at this point. The present unprecedented disruption is not only a result of the eruption in Iceland, but also the current combination of stable weather over Northern Europe and the jetstream locations. Eventually this airmass will be dissipated and blown East and normality will return.

It is possible that continuing eruptions will cause intermittent problems for as long as that situation occurs. However it is the current combination of meteorology and volcanic fallout that is causing the problem.

Thanks, I feel better already.:)

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Paris to Rome by train isn't an option for us as we have to get home by Sunday evening in time for my daughter to do her Math GCSE on Monday morning - it's an 11 - 15 hour train journey and then we have to get from Paris to home.

We will keep our fingers crossed! We too have insurance but really want the holiday rather than the hassle of trying to make a claim ha ha!

Good luck everyone! :D

Hi

The 1000 miles is over mountains and may take up to 18 hours just to drive! look on multimap for details. My son came back from rome by coach yesterday (flight was due last thursday).

They went to venice 1st but then from venice to calais was 15 hours plus 2 hours for stops. Rome to venice had already been 6 hours. They left Venice at 7pm and got to calais at 1pm. You go through a number of countries as well (france, switzerland then Italy - very close to germany at 1 point as well)

the train seems quicker to me!

Archived