Cheaper public transport to Port of Miami from FLL and Palm Beach County

oceantrav2

There appears to be no economical and efficient way to get to the Port of Miami from FLL airport and Palm Beach County. But, I've done the homework, and here's what to do: 1) From FLL airport, take the free shuttle bus to the TriRail Ft. Lauderdale airport station (short ride, 10-15 minutes), buy a TriRail ticket from a machine and board the next southbound train heading to Miami. 2)Ride the train five stops to the MetroRail Transfer station, get off and buy an EasyTicket from a machine to board the southbound MetroRail heading to Dadeland South. You cannot use cash to board MetroRail. 3) Get off the Metrorail at the Historic Overtown/Lyric Theater station. While you were enroute to this station, you could have called a taxi to meet you there (just in case you need to maximize efficiency). You'll know from the schedule the approx travel time to this station. 4) By cab, it's 1.9 miles, approx 8 minutes, to the cruise ship terminals. This is much cheaper than paying $50-$70 one-way to get to Port of Miami; just give yourself ample time in case of delays.:)

Websites:www.tri-rail.com and http://www.miamidade.gov/transit

I will be posting again on this topic with elapsed time point-to point. Driving my own car via I-95 from West Palm Beach to Port of Miami has taken 80 minutes in clear traffic. Taxi fare in Miami: Yellow cabfare is $2.50 on meter activation, plus $2.50 per mile. From MIA airport, there's transport for $24/person, flat rate.

Check TriRail and MetroRail for their (reasonable) fares. Parking at Port of Miami parking garages is $20/day for a car, suv, pickup truck. Today is 17 April 2010.

Hate the Tri Rail because it is a big PIA if you aren't familiar.

I also don't think it is a good idea for someone who has never been to South Florida.

Paris, London, and NYC are one thing but Miami's public transportation still has a long, long, way to go.

The easiest, fastest, and most economical way is to rent a car off priceline or hotwire.

If you are lucky, you can get a rental for as cheap as $15.95.

Archived