how do I know how much my total trip is?

mafada

It might seem a silly question, but since I haven't purchased my airfare yet to Europe(waiting to see if the price comes down), do I just estimate/guess how much the plane tickets would be? Do I add the total cruise price, air, and tips = total trip cost? Do I add shore excursions even though I haven't paid for them yet?

Thanks for any advice.

I've traveled a lot, but this is my first time buying an insurance and are considering the Travelguard Gold and CSA custom.

It might seem a silly question, but since I haven't purchased my airfare yet to Europe(waiting to see if the price comes down), do I just estimate/guess how much the plane tickets would be? Do I add the total cruise price, air, and tips = total trip cost? Do I add shore excursions even though I haven't paid for them yet?

Thanks for any advice.

I've traveled a lot, but this is my first time buying an insurance and are considering the Travelguard Gold and CSA custom.

Rule #1 only insure trip arrangements that are pre-paid and non-refundable. Would you lose your pre-paid tips if you have to cancel? If not, don't insure them.

All of the major insurers will let you add trip arrangements to an existing policy. You can insure the cruise cost now and when you make the air or other arrangements add them at that time.

Many plans, in order to get coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, have a number of conditions that have to be met. Here's an example from a Travel Guard plan:

"Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid nonrefundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured's are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

So if you need the waiver of pre-existing conditions be sure to read and understand what you have to do to both put the waiver into effect and to keep it in effect as you make subsequent arrangements. Not every plan is the same on this so don't assume this example will apply to the plan you choose,

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid nonrefundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this mean like a night in a hotel prior to arrival at the port of embarkation, like something you prepaid for, using Priceline?

I don't want to sound silly here or anything but what if you don't book any shore excursions until your on the boat?

Joel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this mean like a night in a hotel prior to arrival at the port of embarkation, like something you prepaid for, using Priceline?

I don't want to sound silly here or anything but what if you don't book any shore excursions until your on the boat?

Joel

To answer your first question, yes your thoughts are correct. For us, as an example for you, we purchase our travel insurance based on the cost of our cruise price within days of making our first deposit so we are covered for pre-exisiting conditions. When we purchase our airline tickets we contact the insurance company and add the additional cost of our air tickets. If we choose pre or post hotel accommodates that we have to prepay and can not cancel and get our money back we call the insurance company and add those cost to our policy.

We have never added shore excursion cost to our travel policy because we have never had non-refundable excursions that couldnt be canceled without charge if for some reason we did not make it to our cruise. If the cruiseline cancels their excursions they do not charge you.

Hope this helps.:)

Back in 2008, we had to interrupt our trip due to the death of my mother. I was notified of her death just as were meeting for a shore excursion in Cairns, Australia. Since we were within the ships cancellation time, they could not refund this excursion but I did submit the cost of this unreimbursable excursion to our travel insurance company and they did pay us for the amount we were unable to get reimbursed from the cruise line. On the other hand, the cruise line did refund to us the cost of other shore excursions that we had booked and would not be able to use and we of course, did not need to submit them to the insurance company since we had already received reimbursement.

Archived