Glacier around Anchorage

lazarru

We'll have 2 days in Achorage , trying to figure what to do while there. One of things wife is interested in is physically touching/walking on a glacier, is there something around the Anchorage area that we can drive to and if so is it worth the trek there?

We will be in Anchorage for 2 days prior to our cruise, as well, so we are in the same boat.

Some things we have in mind are to take the shuttle (from downtown) to Flattop Mountain to go hiking (http://alaska-bike-rentals.com/MoreInfo/FlattopMountainShuttle/tabid/108/Default.aspx). We were also thinking of renting a bike from Downtown Bicycle Rental and biking the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail.

But we are also interested in additional ideas!

We'll have 2 days in Achorage , trying to figure what to do while there. One of things wife is interested in is physically touching/walking on a glacier, is there something around the Anchorage area that we can drive to and if so is it worth the trek there?

It''s about a 2-hour drive to the Matanuska Glacier and you can go for a guided hike on it - http://www.micaguides.com/

Wow this looks great, first time I've seen this link. The evening hike really sounds great, is there anything else to do on the way to the glacier, thinking drive out there during the day, hopefully finding something else to do as well, do the evening hike then stay out there at one of the local places then drive back in the morning

Wow this looks great, first time I've seen this link. The evening hike really sounds great, is there anything else to do on the way to the glacier, thinking drive out there during the day, hopefully finding something else to do as well, do the evening hike then stay out there at one of the local places then drive back in the morning

The excellent musk ox farm is a short detour - http://www.muskoxfarm.org/ There's also a reindeer farm nearby but I haven't been to it.

The Begich-Boggs Visitor Center at Portage does offer ranger led walking tours to Byron Glacier on a scheduled basis during the summer season. It's about an hour south of Anchorage. The glacier has receded quite a bit in recent years so I don't know if you actually walk on it anymore.

Exit Glacier in Seward (part of Kenai Fjords National Park) is probably the most easy to access without much walking or hiking. However, I wouldn't recommend touching or walking on this one since it's rather unstable.

To really get up close to glaciers, take one of the day cruises into Prince William Sound or Kenai Fjords from Whittier or Seward. There you can really see glaciers in action.

It's a beautiful drive, with many photo ops along the way. You could also easily take a detour to Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, visit the Iditarod headquarters, etc. I've been to the reindeer farm recently...you actually get to get in the pen with them and feed them (at least we did).

If you don’t mind not venturing too far you can actually do this on your own as well. The draw to trek further will be strong but it’s not advised to go onto the glacier too far without a guide. You cross private land to get to the glacier and its $15pp. Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/MatanuskaGlacier

There are several places to spend the night around that area. We always stay in the forest service cabin but there are lodges up and down the highway. The Long Rifle Lodge has the best view of the glacier. Not sure of the accommodations but having lunch there while enjoying the view is just amazing.

It''s about a 2-hour drive to the Matanuska Glacier and you can go for a guided hike on it - http://www.micaguides.com/

This looks great. How does it compare to the Exit Glacier and going with the Exit Glacier Guides? We had planned on doing that one after arriving on the train in Seward. My problem could be that we probably won't get to Anchorage until after noon and have an early departure the next morning. The latest guided trip is 2pm and I don't think we could make that one.

Right - you couldn't get to the Matanuska Glacier for a 2p tour if you don't fly in until noon.

Exit Glacier is easily accessible and there's a great interpretative visitor center before you head in on the paved trail.

Archived