Cancel for Any Reason

ashleyisI

Most cruiseline policies will cover it as a 100% credit, if you buy the upgraded policy or qualify for it as a benefit. If you want cash, the highest coverage available is 80%, look at TravelEx's Travel Max and Travel Select. Time limits for purchasing policy after deposit do apply.

Can you please recommend any "Cancel for Any Reason" policies that will cover 100% of the trip?

No third-party plans I know of will reimburse you 100% of your penalties if you cancel late. But some will cover 100% of your penalty if you cancel earlier. For example, TravelSafe coverage is:

If cancellation penalty is up to 25% of trip cost: Pays 100% of penalty amount

If cancellation penalty is 26% to 50% of trip cost: Pays 85% of penalty amount

If cancellation penalty is 51% to 100% of trip cost: Pays 75% of penalty amount

So if your trip cost is $2000 p/p and you cancel when the penalty is $250 p/p you would indeed get 100% of your cancellation penalty reimbursed. But once the penalty goes higher as you get closer to departure the percentage of the penalties to be reimbursed goes down.

I imagine the reason they won't insure 100% of the trip cost is because they want you at least a little reluctant to cancel your trip.

If you cancel, and you get a cruise credit from a cruise line, they will almost certainly be able to sell your berth to somebody else, unless you cancel the day before the cruise; the insurance company, on the other hand, is out cold, hard, cash they are never going to get back.

If you think "cancel for any reason" riders are expensive now...

SirWired

for some 14 days after,,,or forget it...found this out the hard way,,,checked online ins.agencies and didnt read it carefully ,I guess....now cannot get any ins.to cover volcano problems for June cruise....afraid I may lose a great deal of money,since the SeaDream cruise co. is not going to give refunds or future credits...so learn from my experience////:confused:

I bought insurance for me when I booked my cruise. When I was sure my daughter could go, I added her on. They made me pay for her insurance. They said everyone in the cabin must have it or no one.

This is very odd to me. What if 2 to 3 friends want to go and one wants cruise insurance and the other 2 don't.????????

Anyone had this happen?

Terri

I bought insurance for me when I booked my cruise. When I was sure my daughter could go, I added her on. They made me pay for her insurance. They said everyone in the cabin must have it or no one.

This is very odd to me. What if 2 to 3 friends want to go and one wants cruise insurance and the other 2 don't.????????

Anyone had this happen?

Terri

Did you buy the insurance through the cruiseline? Perhaps that is why you have the "all or nothing" scenario: since all guests are on one reservation, all must "match".

If you purchase insurance independant of the cruiseline, I suspect that each individual can choose whether to insure their portion of the cost.

Anyone had this happen?

Terri

I think you were told wrong. In fact, I doubt that "all or none" is even legal.

• 3 weeks later...

Lets say you purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage with a third party not thru the cruiseline. You have already paid your initial deposit and purchased airline tickets way before the final payment is due on the cruise. Since most travel policies begin coverage only on the start date of your trip then how would this work if one cancelled? Does the "cancel for any reason" start the day u purchase the policy? So would the airline tickets and cruise deposit be reimbursable? Everytime i think i have a handle on it another ? comes into my mind. I have a few days to go before i have to purchase it so appreciate all replys. Thanks

... Since most travel policies begin coverage only on the start date of your trip then how would this work if one cancelled? Does the "cancel for any reason" start the day u purchase the policy? So would the airline tickets and cruise deposit be reimbursable? ...
The cancellation coverage usually begins at midnight the day after you purchase the policy and ends when the trip start date is reached. Then the medical/trip interruption part of the policy kicks in. If you followed the rules of purchase, (usually that you cover the full cost and within some # of days) then yes, the NR air tickets and NR deposit are covered. Note however, that even though they are covered, the policy limits still apply, so the re-imbursed amount might only be 50% or 80% or 100% depending on what policy you have and when you cancel.

The cancellation coverage usually begins at midnight the day after you purchase the policy and ends when the trip start date is reached. Then the medical/trip interruption part of the policy kicks in. If you followed the rules of purchase, (usually that you cover the full cost and within some # of days) then yes, the NR air tickets and NR deposit are covered. Note however, that even though they are covered, the policy limits still apply, so the re-imbursed amount might only be 50% or 80% or 100% depending on what policy you have and when you cancel.

Thank you very much. That clears it up then. I think i am going to go with Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector and pay the $50 to make it primary and 100,000 in medical. Any pros or cons about this company that you are aware of? Thanks again. :)

As usual cherylandtk is absolutely correct.

Archived