Alaska in early May Norwegian or Carnival

lesponline

We are planning a family reunion cruise to celebrate our parent's 50th the first week of May 2011. We have narrowed down our options to the Carnival Spirit's 6 night cruise and the Norwegian Pearl's 7 night both out of Vancouver and returning to Seattle. We will be 14 people ranging in age from 5 to 74, including several College aged young adults. I would appreciate any opinions on itineraries, dining and activities to help us make our decision. Thanks in advance!:o

Unless you have a very good reason for picking that date, the first week of May is too cold for an Alaska cruise - figure on high temps of 50-52, dropping to 40 at night. I'm sailing on May 10th this year, which is 10 days before my normal cutoff date but got a great offer.

I will be cruising this year in mid May, so I will be prepared for all kinds of weather. But whatever cruise line you choose, if you pick the one that goes to Glacier Bay, that is a must see. Nothing compares to Glacier Bay. I know for a fact that Princess(my favorite) does glacier Bay, but not sure about Norwegien cruise lines. I know that Carnival does NOT go to glacier Bay. So please reconsider and take a look at Princess cruise lines. Really, talk to other Alaskan cruisers and all that have been there say go to Glacier Bay.

Really, talk to other Alaskan cruisers and all that have been there say go to Glacier Bay.

No true - many of us who have been to Glacier Bay think that Hubbard Glacier is more impressive. On a good day, MUCH more impressive!

Unless you have a very good reason for picking that date, the first week of May is too cold for an Alaska cruise - figure on high temps of 50-52, dropping to 40 at night. I'm sailing on May 10th this year, which is 10 days before my normal cutoff date but got a great offer.

Too cold for who? Some of us don't mind the cold...and in all honesty it is ALASKA....I would expect it to be that cold. In fact, I would cruise that week BECAUSE it's that cold....and still snow to be seen! :D

Too cold for who? Some of us don't mind the cold...and in all honesty it is ALASKA....I would expect it to be that cold. In fact, I would cruise that week BECAUSE it's that cold....and still snow to be seen! :D

Have at 'er - I've been cold for 7 months now and want at least a little bit of WARM.

I like 40's and 50's. We went right from winter to almost 90 degrees the first of April. It is now more reasonable (60's) but for awhile, I thought we were skipping spring.

I see far too many people in Skagway in May and September who aren't prepared for the conditions. When they booked the cruise they barely knew where they were going much less what the weather would be like. If you know what's expected and want it, that's great.

Have at 'er - I've been cold for 7 months now and want at least a little bit of WARM.

Ok - I just noticed where you are from and now I can understand your response better. If I just went through a long winter there, I'd be ready for some warm weather too.

Here in FL, I welcome a week's vacation with some cool weather! ;)

We went in the middle of July and it was cold and rainy the whole week!!!!! you just never know!!!!!

Yea - I know. I had a first of July cruise like that. Though my May cruises have been fabulous!

We had a really hard winter where I live but I really like the 50's temps. We rarely get those.

I booked very early May 2011 because the price was way too good to pass up. I don't mind whatever weather comes along. The price caused me to overcome my personal opinion not to cruise Alaska in early May.

I won't be dressing fancy for dinner!

I guess if I had to pick between those two choices I would go with the NCL Pearl, but neither itinerary is overly attractive to me. Neither one has a glacier stop listed on the itinerary. Maybe they squeeze in Tracy Arm on the Juneau day, but it's not listed on the itineraries.

Pearl itinerary is a day longer and leaves on the weekend where the Spirit is a mid-week departure. Both go to the usual three Alaska ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan), but Pearl also stops at Prince Rupert on this one itinerary. Both ships are roughly the same size, with Pearl being slightly newer and larger.

If you have to have an early May departure I would look at the Westerdam (May 7) or Oosterdam (May 8). Both have better itineraries with Westerdam going to Hubbard Glacier and Oosterdam to Glacier Bay. Or, wait for Princess to release their 2011 itineraries and see if they have any departures the first week of May.

In reading the OP specific question (Carnival May 4th or Pearl May 8th), given the choice of the 2 itineraries, here are some observations.

Pearl appears to be quite a bit more expensive, for a group there are some significant saving on Carnival.

The Pearl stops in port are earlier in the day and shorter than the Spirit, I think the later times would be better earlier in the season.

Prince Rupert is nice but not a "have to" stop.

The Pearl is a newer ship and has a few more modern amenities like the bowling alley and rock climbing wall which will appeal to some of your group.

As noted, neither does a Glacier Bay, which is a popular attraction but you will see a lot of snow and ice at that time. And plan for cold weather as Yukon suggested and be happy if you get nice weather.

Thanks for all of the input, it really helps. We are stuck with the first week of May since the College kids have to start their summer jobs right after that. I'll try to talk them into a week later to fit in a HAL alternative. I really want to see a glacier!

Thanks for all of the input, it really helps. We are stuck with the first week of May since the College kids have to start their summer jobs right after that. I'll try to talk them into a week later to fit in a HAL alternative. I really want to see a glacier!

You will have an opportunity to see a glacier, do a search for Mendenhall glacier in Juneau. Of course, the weather still plays a role here, you don't see it from the ship but rather take an excursion to it.

1324513817_c6c5959c60.jpg

Archived