When airline cancels your flight what kind of coverage do you get from Travel Guard

stipmom

Protect Assist? Can you get a one way economy ticket home on a different airline or do you have to remain on the same airline until they can get you home.? I used FF miles for my original ticket. Thanks

That's an excellent question. I'm guessing you are covered under: "Trip Interruption – Return Air Only: The Insurer will reimburse

the Insured for the additional transportation expenses incurred to

reach the Return Destination due to one of the Unforeseen

events listed in the Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption section.

However, the benefit payable will not exceed the cost of

economy airfare (or the same class as the Insured’s original

ticket) less any refunds paid or payable and taken by the most

direct route."

The "Return Air" policy limit is listed on the main declarations page of your policy. Just glancing at the current ProtectAssist Gold, limit is $750/pp. Keep in mind that if your flight is canceled, you are entitled to a refund for the unused part of the ticket from the airline. So, if the refund amount + $750/pp will get you home, great! If not, you need to decide if you want to cover the excess, or call on the Trip Delay coverage.

NOTE: All this assumes that your flight was canceled for a covered reason.

SirWired

Protect Assist? Can you get a one way economy ticket home on a different airline or do you have to remain on the same airline until they can get you home.? I used FF miles for my original ticket. Thanks

It would depend on the circumstances of the cancellation of the flight. For example, if the cancellation is due to a mechanical problem with the aircraft you would have no coverage under the trip interruption coverage with one exception:

"m) mechanical/equipment failure of a Common Carrier that occurs on a scheduled Trip and causes complete cessation of the Insured's travel and results of a Loss of 50% of the Insured's Trip length"

If this is your return flight home then this probably would not apply. Your only coverage would be the trip delay benefit which would pay for additional hotels, meals, etc until your airline gets you flying again.

If the cancellation is weather-related and if another airline is still flying then you would have coverage under the trip interruption coverage as it does have this coverage:

"d) Inclement Weather causing delay or cancellation of travel; "

Travel Guard would not care if the replacement flight is with your current airline or with a different one. But realistically, if weather is causing flights to be canceled other airlines are in the same situation and you'd probably end up on your original airline.

I actually had an incident in Ft Lauderdale a few years ago where Continental cancelled all of their flights into Newark on a Thurs. and said the first flight they could get us on was on Sat. Jet Blue was flying so we cancelled our Continental ticket and bought the Jet Blue. Access America covered the difference in price.

Odds are you will be at the airport till they can get a seat for you, especially with ff miles...I always use ff miles, hubby joined the million mile club so its nice to fly free. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about FF miles but I do know Travel Guard was great for some family members stuck in Europe because of the volcano. They were in constant contact with them. My family had to book their own flight back but will be reimbursed by TG.

Archived