Recommended River Cruise Books?

A quick search on Amazon revealed no specific books for river cruising in Europe. Are there any out there that anyone would recommend?

We're planning a Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise. To purchase and then pack books for each country along the route would seem like overkill and overweight in our luggage.

Do the lines, in particular Avalon, provide enough written background information about towns and cities where the boat docks?

We like the Eye Witness series, which while useless for hotel or restaurant information, make great keepers for pre holiday research and post holiday reflection.

I have one that is called "Great River Cruises - Europe & The Nile and is published by Insight Guides. Can't remember if I ordered it off of Amazon or not, but they list an email address on the interior page as insight@apaguide.co.uk. Let me know if you need any additional information. I highly recommend it. Wonderful pictures, maps, ports-of-call, etc.

B. Cole

We found the same book just a few weeks ago on Amazon, a private seller for a great price. (New but from a book store...bent corner on the cover.)

Lots to look at and descriptions, I think, of most of the highlights on the rivers. We'll make copies of the pages relevant to our itinerary and planning on getting more individual stop info off the web.

We just picked up the Eye Witness Prague which will be great for our pre cruise visit.

And the travel literature book Blue River, Black Sea, a journey along the Danube by Eames, holds promise.

We've booked for the fall of 2011 and for us half the fun is the reading in preparation. And time we have to read!

The Skinny dog to Carcasone,,,can look up on Amazon...gives you a good feel for river cruising,,,this was on a barge...forgot authors name,but really loved it. Yes, they do bring their Whippet with them, hence Skinny Dog title....

Regular guidebooks give you ideas for on shore trips, of course...

If you ve never been on one, its like taking a bus,with better seats,,,or even a hotel ,down the river....very relaxing,scenic, dock in town and can walk,etc....plus, can take a nap or eat,etc....whenever....Good luck:D

is Narrow dog to Carcasonne, not Skinny....close right? He also wrote one on river in FL,,,loved it too, since I live there. I m a dog lover ,so got a kick out of it...plus, I was taking a French cruise,,,,but fun for any river to get idea of sights...good luck.....:D

It's Narrow Dog to Carcassonne by Terry Darlington and it's available on Amazon.ca so I assume it's also on Amazon.com for Americans.

When we next get an order which gets us free shipping it will be on our list.

I'm not really a dog person and struggled thru' our last book club book, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Stein, but everyone else in the group really enjoyed it. Any dog lover would really enjoy it.

Thank you again, Alexandra.

Archived