Formal nights on Alaskan cruise

swissfamily

I am not looking to start a debate as I have seen lots of back and forth on this issue on the Princess CC site. What do people typically wear on formal nights on the Alaskan cruises? I have read that they tend to not be as formal as other cruising regions. I would be happy to dress up or not - my husband would probably prefer not - but we both tend to follow the norms on these things. We've had several land vacations that I've said we will likley need to be dressy and it has been more casual than I would have thought. I hate to bring more than we need if the majority are fairly casual.

Also, please don't flame me or tell me to do what I want. I want to follow the crowd and blend right in! :) I know this is a touchy subject with some cruisers.

Thanks in advance!!

Swissfamily

My experience on a Princess cruise, Alaska or otherwise, about 30 to 35% of the men wear tuxes or dinner jackets about 60% are in suits and the balance are in blazers, sport jackets or claim their luggage was lost. You do not have to dress in the Horizon Court or in the specialty dining venues.

I am not looking to start a debate as I have seen lots of back and forth on this issue on the Princess CC site. What do people typically wear on formal nights on the Alaskan cruises? I have read that they tend to not be as formal as other cruising regions. I would be happy to dress up or not - my husband would probably prefer not - but we both tend to follow the norms on these things. We've had several land vacations that I've said we will likley need to be dressy and it has been more casual than I would have thought. I hate to bring more than we need if the majority are fairly casual.

Also, please don't flame me or tell me to do what I want. I want to follow the crowd and blend right in! :) I know this is a touchy subject with some cruisers.

Thanks in advance!!

Swissfamily

We have four formal nights on our upcoming HAL cruise. My husband plans on wearing his tux for the first and last formal nights and a dark suit for the other two formal nights, unless we eat in the Lido buffet for one of them.

I have my sequin sweater and dressy palazzo slacks for two formal nights and a different sequin top for the other two formal nights.

On our Coral Princess Alaskan cruise I saw no tuxes. One interesting man wore his kilt and jacket. I saw no gowns, but plenty of pretty cocktail dresses and pantsuits. My husband took a dark suit and I took two knee-length dresses. One was a light weight velvet with short jacket- just right in late August in Alaska.;)

My husband and son, both wore tuxes on the European cruises (as did about 60% of the men). In Alaska, they both wear dark suits/tie. I wore gowns in Europe, but short cocktail dresses in Alaska. I think we are about "average"

We cruised on Diamond Princess, my brother was on Sapphire Princess.

My husband wore a suit and tie, as did most of the men. We actually went to Goodwill and bought it, thinking he would just leave it on the ship to leave more room for purchases in our luggage for the trip home. But, he ended up liking it so much he kept it. My brother wore shirt, tie and slacks but said he felt out of place without a jacket.

Most ladies I saw wore dresses. I bought a black knit dress that packed easily without wrinkles. I dressed it up with jewelry and heels. I felt pretty comfortable, but next time I might try packing an even more formal dress. The women who wore pants were in dressy pant sets.

If you want to blend, wear a nice dress (female) and dark suit with tie (male)

I have worn both dress slacks with a sparkley top or a short cocktail dress, but my husband only has a tux(no suit). so he has only worn that. We have seen everything from kilts, Tux, suits, to a shirt and tie with no jacket. But the most common for men is a suit. Women mostly wear short cocktail dresses. I have been on 2 Alaskan cruises thus far with #3 coming this summer. This 3rd Alaskan cruise I will not be doing formal wear because of the horrid luggage prices with the airlines, but on those evenings, we will eat in the buffet court.

Many of us are feeling the cost of checking bags and are lightening up on what we haul for cruises.

My husband wears a really nice navy blazer with a white shirt, tie and gray slacks. I wear a silk outfit of some sort as silk is light in weight and easy to pack.

I'm a firm believer in dressing "appropriatly." For us that has meant coat, tie, nice slacks for me and the boys. The girls/ladies never seem to mind getting dressed up. I think tux are at one extreme, great to see people look so sharp and having fun doing it. At the other end those in slacks and nice shirt were fine with us too. Never understood why people are in a fuss for people on both ends in the dining room on formal night. I'd say dress as you'd feel going to a family wedding....

As to checked baggage as an excuse or reason not to have a nicer set of clothes and shoes is odd :confused: I'm a firm believer/follower and enjoy the convenience of going light with nothing but carryon. But costs seems to be a silly argument; cruise 799-1599/person, add in air fare, tipping and tours, arent' you at more than 1000 and more like 2000 / person, whats another 50 bucks for one checked luggage ? Alaska with the additional need for layers of warmer clothes would make any light packer challenged to squeeze 7 days worth of clothes and formal wear, so check a bag between each couple, would just be the overhead of Alaska versus tropics ;)

Many of us are feeling the cost of checking bags and are lightening up on what we haul for cruises.

My husband wears a really nice navy blazer with a white shirt, tie and gray slacks. I wear a silk outfit of some sort as silk is light in weight and easy to pack.

I'm a firm believer in dressing "appropriatly." For us that has meant coat, tie, nice slacks for me and the boys. The girls/ladies never seem to mind getting dressed up. I think tux are at one extreme, great to see people look so sharp and having fun doing it. At the other end those in slacks and nice shirt were fine with us too. Never understood why people are in a fuss for people on both ends in the dining room on formal night. I'd say dress as you'd feel going to a family wedding....

As to checked baggage as an excuse or reason not to have a nicer set of clothes and shoes is odd :confused: I'm a firm believer/follower and enjoy the convenience of going light with nothing but carryon. But costs seems to be a silly argument; cruise 799-1599/person, add in air fare, tipping and tours, arent' you at more than 1000 and more like 2000 / person, whats another 50 bucks for one checked luggage ? Alaska with the additional need for layers of warmer clothes would make any light packer challenged to squeeze 7 days worth of clothes and formal wear, so check a bag between each couple, would just be the overhead of Alaska versus tropics ;)

Well said!

My husband wears a really nice navy blazer with a white shirt, tie and gray slacks.

This weighs as much as a tux or suit...where are the savings?

You could wear it on the plane. I've often worn the heaviest/bulkiest clothing of a trip on the plane. Don't think I'd wear a Tux or DJ tho :)

You could wear it on the plane. I've often worn the heaviest/bulkiest clothing of a trip on the plane. Don't think I'd wear a Tux or DJ tho :)

I was waiting for that response and candidly I don't have a rebuttal if that is what you want to do. However, most people use the weight matter as a reason for dressing down and it really is just a "red herring".:rolleyes:

First cruise (Bermuda), I took a black suit for formal night and a sport coat for informal night. Last European cruise (very enjoyable, I might add), I wore NICE sport shirts and slacks for all evenings. The night before the first formal night, our waiter STRESSED to us that we could enjoy the dining room whether we were dressed formally, or not. Last weekend, my son took us to the MOST EXPENSIVE restaurant I have ever dined in. Most people were dressed casually, some even wearing jeans. MY focus was on my food and conversation with my dining companions, not on who was wearing what at the surrounding tables. People should just wear what the want, but try not to have behavior that might offend others. Some ships seem to have a dining room for more dressy clothes, and a dining room for more casual (not including the Lido deck). Just enjoy your cruise, and don't worry so much about dressing to please others. If you like to "dress up" then do it, and have a great evening.

First cruise (Bermuda), I took a black suit for formal night and a sport coat for informal night. Last European cruise (very enjoyable, I might add), I wore NICE sport shirts and slacks for all evenings. The night before the first formal night, our waiter STRESSED to us that we could enjoy the dining room whether we were dressed formally, or not. Last weekend, my son took us to the MOST EXPENSIVE restaurant I have ever dined in. Most people were dressed casually, some even wearing jeans. MY focus was on my food and conversation with my dining companions, not on who was wearing what at the surrounding tables. People should just wear what the want, but try not to have behavior that might offend others. Some ships seem to have a dining room for more dressy clothes, and a dining room for more casual (not including the Lido deck). Just enjoy your cruise, and don't worry so much about dressing to please others. If you like to "dress up" then do it, and have a great evening.

I agree 100% with you! VERY well put :D

I rent a tux from cruiseline formal wear that serves Princess and other cruise lines. This May Alaska cruise will be the third time, and it sure helps with the packing! Cost is about $100. I take a couple of pairs of dress slacks and white shirts, a pair of dockers, and a tie to finish anymore dress issues. Or, you can wear your jeans and go to the Horizon Court buffet.

Archived