So many insurance options...

eiloo

Here's the scoop:

I booked a cruise last night and declined the travel agents insurance. As I'm within 24 hours of final payment, I am searching for insurance for this trip.

My wife is pregnant and will be in her second trimester by the time of sailing. Is this typically considered a pre-existing condition that will be covered?

I've taken a look at insuremytrip.com and there are quite a number of options, I'm not sure what to choose.

Details:

1) We will only have the cruise fare at stake since we will be driving to the port.

2) We would probably want cancel for any reason in the event something happens to us before we travel.

3) Medical as primary if we need it on the ship. I understand we will foot the bill first on our OB account and then submit to the insurance company for reimbursement. Do you think it would be necessary to purchase a primary medical policy vs a secondary policy? Is the increase in cost worth the primary vs secondary coverage? We are both employed and have medical through our employers.

Anything else we should consider?

Thanks!

It will be near impossible to find a policy that covers everything you want.

1. Normal pregnancy is excluded as a covered condition, whether pre-existing or not, in most policies. Do note also that the ship is not well-equipped to handle complications of pregnancy and you would be sent to a hospital in a port if something serious should occur.

2. Any reason coverage is available, but not at 100% of total cruise costs; it also usually has a purchase deadline, so be careful of your timing.

3. At this point, primary vs. secondary is moot, I suspect.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion, but you might be best off with the cruiseline policy due to any reason cruise credit. Perhaps CSA Custom Luxe. But whichever policy you choose, there will be some significant coverage gaps.

Thanks cherylandtk.

I should have clarified that I'm not looking for all of those components in the policy, just wanted to state the factors influencing my decision and then manage the risk from there.

1) I made a call to insuremytrip.com and during that discussion, it sounded like I wouldn't need cancel for any reason since it would be complications from the pregnancy we are worried about and are a covered reason. Am I understanding that correctly?

2) So if I purchased the cruise line insurance policy, that would give me a "full credit" toward a future cruise rather than a cash amount (at a certain percentage) for other types of policies?

3) I guess for primary vs secondary, I would need to contact my current insurance carrier and submit expenses to them first and then submit anything that isn't reimbursed to the travel insurance company. This, according to the insuremytrip.com rep.

1) I made a call to insuremytrip.com and during that discussion, it sounded like I wouldn't need cancel for any reason since it would be complications from the pregnancy we are worried about and are a covered reason. Am I understanding that correctly?

Which plan are you referring to?

2) So if I purchased the cruise line insurance policy, that would give me a "full credit" toward a future cruise rather than a cash amount (at a certain percentage) for other types of policies?

Which cruise line?

3) I guess for primary vs secondary, I would need to contact my current insurance carrier and submit expenses to them first and then submit anything that isn't reimbursed to the travel insurance company. This, according to the insuremytrip.com rep.

That's the procedure for a secondary travel insurer. For a primary travel insurer you would submit the bill to them first. Either way, you would pay the bill at the time the medical services are received and file the claim for reimbursement.

It looks like we'll go with Travelex Select or Max and then decide on the cancel for any reason as they are both primary medical. Our current medical insurance will consider most (if not all treatment) to be out of network and if we're decline to pay the out of network deductibles etc, the secondary plans will not pay.

Question is whether or not $50K or $100K is needed.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Our current medical insurance will consider most (if not all treatment) to be out of network and if we're decline to pay the out of network deductibles etc, the secondary plans will not pay.

Not sure I understand this part. As long as the medical treatment you receive is for a covered reason, a secondary insurer will pay anything your regular health insurer won't -- deductibles, co-payments, etc

Are you saying if YOU decide to not submit the claim to your regular health insurer the travel insurer won't pay? While that's probably true, why would you do that?

It looks like we'll go with Travelex Select or Max

What I don't like about the Travelex plan wording regarding "complications of pregnancy" is that at no point do they actually define that term. By comparison, here's what Travel Guard says:

"Complications of Pregnancy" means conditions whose diagnoses are distinct from pregnancy but are adversely affected by pregnancy or are caused by pregnancy. These conditions include acute nephritis, nephrosis, cardiac decompensation, missed abortion and similar medical and surgical conditions of comparable severity. Complications of Pregnancy also include nonelective cesarean section, ectopic pregnancy which is terminated and spontaneous termination of pregnancy, which occurs during a period of gestation in which a viable birth is not possible.

Complications of Pregnancy do not include false labor, occasional spotting, Physician-prescribed rest during the period of pregnancy, morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidarum, preeclampsia and similar conditions associated with the management of a difficult pregnancy not constituting a nosologically distinct complication of pregnancy."

I have no idea what that all means but I think I'd want to know what Travelex will do in similar circumstances.

Not sure I understand this part. As long as the medical treatment you receive is for a covered reason, a secondary insurer will pay anything your regular health insurer won't -- deductibles, co-payments, etc

Are you saying if YOU decide to not submit the claim to your regular health insurer the travel insurer won't pay? While that's probably true, why would you do that?

I'm the first to admit I'm not versed in medical insurance but as I understand it, if I am out of network on my employer's health plan, I am responsible for more out of pocket than if I stayed in network. So considering the ship doctor or hospitals in port are not included in the Blue Cross network, would these charges for services not be considered out of network in the eyes of BCBS? If they are, then we would need to pay a larger amount for the services rendered and perhaps have to pay the full 100% of services up to the deductible limit for out of network coverage (which is $1000) before BCBS pays the amounts over and above.

That said, if I purchase a secondary policy and submit my bills to BCBS and they say I need to pay the first $1000 deductible before they'll pay and I decline to pay that $1000, and submit it to my secondary policy, they won't pay either because I didn't pay the deductible on the main primary policy.

Wouldn't it be better to just purchase the primary policy? What am I overthinking? I know you're asking me this for a reason, I'm just not sure what it is.

What I don't like about the Travelex plan wording regarding "complications of pregnancy" is that at no point do they actually define that term. By comparison, here's what Travel Guard says:

"Complications of Pregnancy" means conditions whose diagnoses are distinct from pregnancy but are adversely affected by pregnancy or are caused by pregnancy. These conditions include acute nephritis, nephrosis, cardiac decompensation, missed abortion and similar medical and surgical conditions of comparable severity. Complications of Pregnancy also include nonelective cesarean section, ectopic pregnancy which is terminated and spontaneous termination of pregnancy, which occurs during a period of gestation in which a viable birth is not possible.

Complications of Pregnancy do not include false labor, occasional spotting, Physician-prescribed rest during the period of pregnancy, morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidarum, preeclampsia and similar conditions associated with the management of a difficult pregnancy not constituting a nosologically distinct complication of pregnancy."

I have no idea what that all means but I think I'd want to know what Travelex will do in similar circumstances.

Thanks for the tip. I will call and ask them about this. However, how would one get them to include this in the policy?

I'm the first to admit I'm not versed in medical insurance but as I understand it, if I am out of network on my employer's health plan, I am responsible for more out of pocket than if I stayed in network. So considering the ship doctor or hospitals in port are not included in the Blue Cross network, would these charges for services not be considered out of network in the eyes of BCBS? If they are, then we would need to pay a larger amount for the services rendered and perhaps have to pay the full 100% of services up to the deductible limit for out of network coverage (which is $1000) before BCBS pays the amounts over and above.

That said, if I purchase a secondary policy and submit my bills to BCBS and they say I need to pay the first $1000 deductible before they'll pay and I decline to pay that $1000, and submit it to my secondary policy, they won't pay either because I didn't pay the deductible on the main primary policy.

Wouldn't it be better to just purchase the primary policy? What am I overthinking? I know you're asking me this for a reason, I'm just not sure what it is.

Yes, you will have to pay BCBS whatever your deductible/co-payment amount is but you would file a claim with your secondary travel insurance plan to be reimbursed for that amount. A secondary travel insurer will cover whatever your primary health insurer won't.

This is assuming that the medical care is for a covered reason. So my first priority would be to find out from Travelex what they will and will not cover regarding the pregnancy complications. If they WON'T cover what you need covered you'd file with them, get declined, then file with BCBS and pay their deductible/co-payment. You've wasted your money. But if Travelex WILL cover anything you think might need to be covered then everything is great.

But if you have to turn to a secondary travel insurer in order to be sure you're covered for whatever you think might happen during the trip don't sweat it. They will reimburse you for whatever BCBS doesn't up to their policy limit. Yes, it's more work filing two sets of paperwork instead of one. But worry about the coverage first, worry about who pays in what order second. The first is critical, the second is a matter of a little extra paperwork.

Yes, you will have to pay BCBS whatever your deductible/co-payment amount is but you would file a claim with your secondary travel insurance plan to be reimbursed for that amount. A secondary travel insurer will cover whatever your primary health insurer won't.

Let me make that a little more clear. The doctor on board the ship is not going to accept your BCBS card for payment. So you will have already paid the full amount by the time you leave the ship. With a secondary travel policy you would file a claim with BCBS for the full amount. They would reimburse you for the full amount less the deductible/co-payment. That's the amount you will file your claim for with the travel insurer.

Let me make that a little more clear. The doctor on board the ship is not going to accept your BCBS card for payment. So you will have already paid the full amount by the time you leave the ship. With a secondary travel policy you would file a claim with BCBS for the full amount. They would reimburse you for the full amount less the deductible/co-payment. That's the amount you will file your claim for with the travel insurer.

Appreciate your help and guidance cruiseco. This makes it much more clear and some calls to insuremytrip.com are helping with my understanding of this.

Now that we're considering MH Ross, and they don't state the above in their policy, how would I go about getting this in? (If it is even possible.) I know talking to an agent there wouldn't be sufficient.

Has anyone had experience with MH Ross?

You would have to call the insurer and ask for their written definition of "Complications of Pregnancy". Travel Guard includes their description (above) in their definition of terms, but MH Ross and the others do not. It is not a matter of getting it in, it is more a matter of clarifying what is (or is not) already in. They don't customize the policies, sorry.

Here's the reply from insuremytrip.com:

"There is no definition on that policy as far as complications of pregnancy. Pregnancy is something that is generally excluded on all plans. It would have to be a life threatening situation."

This is for the MH Ross policy. Odd that they would say that it's excluded, but some of the policies actually define the term.

Not sure this is the correct place for this.

I am going on a cruise with Princess transatlantic from London to New York City and purchased their trip insurance. The cruise leaves Sept 3, 2010. I have epilepsy and would like to know if pre-existing is necessary. I also have a few other things that may be pre-ex. I am retired with BX medex and BX something else. If I were to file a claim, would I have to go thru BX first:confused::cool:

I have not made final payment yet but will make it soon. What sort of questions should I ask Princess about the policy. In past cruises I have always purchased insurance thru the agency and never had the need to use it. I was thinking of saving the $328 based on that. It is not that I am healthy, just lucky:) This is the 1st time I have purchased thru the cruise line.

Thanks in advance

Paul,

You might get more answers if you start a new thread on this separate question, but here are my thoughts:

1. 'Princess' insurance is actually administered by Berkley Care, which is a separate company that writes custom policies for all the cruiselines. That is who you should call for answers to your questions if you have them. There is a link below.

2. The plans that Princess sells have good and bad points. The good one is that you get cancellation coverage (credit, not cash back) for any reason at all up until the day your trip starts. The bad is that their medical and interrruption coverages (for things that happen after you leave the house) are limited compared to what you can get for the same price in a third party policy.

3. Princess policy has a 60 day lookback period, no waiver of pre-existing conditions.

4. Depending on what your BX policies are, they may or may not cover outside the US. If not, having primary medical coverage makes filing a little easier (do not have to file and get rejected by BX first), but secondary just takes longer. If it has a higher $$ payout, then it might be worth it.

5. Only two companies will waive pre-existing conditions up to final payment. (Others will waive PEC, but you have to buy the policy shortly after making your deposit). They are CSA and HTH.

6. Do you need to cover your air travel costs? Princess used to cover this, but has recently changed their policy depending on which of their two air programs you purchase. If your air is not purchased through Princess, you probably need a separate policy for that.

How controlled is your epilepsy? Have you had any episodes in the last 60 days? Had your medication changed? Seen a doctor (even for an annual or other routine check-up)?

If you are well-controlled and can say no to the other questions, then Princess insurance might be just fine for you. Especially since you indicate you have been pretty lucky so far with your health.

OTOH, if you think you need extra coverage, perhaps a third party policy would give you higher/better medical coverage and/or a waiver of your epilepsy if you buy before making your final payment.

Take a close read of the three policies and see if you can decide which is best for you. It would help to know how much, if any, coverage your BX policies will also provide on this trip. Be sure to read the actual Description of Coverage, DOC, not just the summary before you purchase. You may have to fill out details of trip cost and your state of residence to do that.

http://www.csatravelprotection.com/

http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/trip_protection.cfm

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Paul,

You might get more answers if you start a new thread on this separate question, but here are my thoughts:

1. 'Princess' insurance is actually administered by Berkley Care, which is a separate company that writes custom policies for all the cruiselines. That is who you should call for answers to your questions if you have them. There is a link below.

2. The plans that Princess sells have good and bad points. The good one is that you get cancellation coverage (credit, not cash back) for any reason at all up until the day your trip starts. The bad is that their medical and interrruption coverages (for things that happen after you leave the house) are limited compared to what you can get for the same price in a third party policy.

3. Princess policy has a 60 day lookback period, no waiver of pre-existing conditions.

4. Depending on what your BX policies are, they may or may not cover outside the US. If not, having primary medical coverage makes filing a little easier (do not have to file and get rejected by BX first), but secondary just takes longer. If it has a higher $$ payout, then it might be worth it.

5. Only two companies will waive pre-existing conditions up to final payment. (Others will waive PEC, but you have to buy the policy shortly after making your deposit). They are CSA and HTH.

6. Do you need to cover your air travel costs? Princess used to cover this, but has recently changed their policy depending on which of their two air programs you purchase. If your air is not purchased through Princess, you probably need a separate policy for that.

How controlled is your epilepsy? Have you had any episodes in the last 60 days? Had your medication changed? Seen a doctor (even for an annual or other routine check-up)?

If you are well-controlled and can say no to the other questions, then Princess insurance might be just fine for you. Especially since you indicate you have been pretty lucky so far with your health.

OTOH, if you think you need extra coverage, perhaps a third party policy would give you higher/better medical coverage and/or a waiver of your epilepsy if you buy before making your final payment.

Take a close read of the three policies and see if you can decide which is best for you. It would help to know how much, if any, coverage your BX policies will also provide on this trip. Be sure to read the actual Description of Coverage, DOC, not just the summary before you purchase. You may have to fill out details of trip cost and your state of residence to do that.

http://www.csatravelprotection.com/

http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/trip_protection.cfm

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Thankyou for the helpful and quick response.

Archived