some dumb questions

anne60

Hi -

I am a cruise newbie and I have tried my best to find answers on here by using the search function, but here are a few that I can't find answers for.

We are sailing on the NCL Spirit.

I typically can't function in the morning without at least one cup of coffee. Is there a coffeemaker in the room (which I doubt) and if not, can coffee be ordered through room service? Do they charge for coffee/tea in general or are they included? I know soda is not, but I can't seen to find out about coffee/tea. Yes - I will tip room service!

I've seen posts that say travel irons are not allowed, but you can request one from housekeeping. Is this accurate?

What is the best way to bring wine on board (not smuggling but planning to pay the corkage fee). I am not sure when or where you tell them you have bottles that you want to pay for.

Will we be able to sit out on our balcony while the ship is sailing (weather permitting of course)? I am not sure how fast or windy it gets when the ship is moving (I know, I saved the dumbest for last ~ but I have absolutely no concept of what this is going to feel like!!).

Thanks in advance for any help - this is like learning a new language!!

~ Anne

Hi -

I am a cruise newbie and I have tried my best to find answers on here by using the search function, but here are a few that I can't find answers for.

I typically can't function in the morning without at least one cup of coffee. Is there a coffeemaker in the room (which I doubt) and if not, can coffee be ordered through room service? Do they charge for coffee/tea in general or are they included? I know soda is not, but I can't seen to find out about coffee/tea. Yes - I will tip room service!

I've seen posts that say travel irons are not allowed, but you can request one from housekeeping. Is this accurate?

What is the best way to bring wine on board (not smuggling but planning to pay the corkage fee). I am not sure when or where you tell them you have bottles that you want to pay for.

Will we be able to sit out on our balcony while the ship is sailing (weather permitting of course)? I am not sure how fast or windy it gets when the ship is moving (I know, I saved the dumbest for last ~ but I have absolutely no concept of what this is going to feel like!!).

~ Anne

Since you're in a balcony, you'll have a coffeemaker, so no need to deal with room service unless you want room service breakfast instead of MDR or buffet. No charge for normal coffees and teas (cappuccinos etc yes)

No travel irons. Just talk to your room steward or call the reception desk and they'll send an iron and ironing board up.

When you're boarding they normally have a table set up to check wine etc. Normally very easy to find so just keep an eye out for it.

Like you said, barring some terrible weather, you can use your balcony day and night, while at sea or in port etc. Most balconies are very sheltered from most of the wind but the bit you do feel feels nice. Just a subtle sea spray is really it. You can go out on your balcony even when they close the outside decks if you want to look at the bad weather too, but that's just me!

Hi -

I typically can't function in the morning without at least one cup of coffee. Is there a coffeemaker in the room (which I doubt) and if not, can coffee be ordered through room service? only suites and balconieshave cofee makers (maybe--balconies may no longer have them)

Do they charge for coffee/tea in general or are they included? Coffee and tea can be ordered from room service and are included

I know soda is not, but I can't seen to find out about coffee/tea. Yes - I will tip room service!

I've seen posts that say travel irons are not allowed, but you can request one from housekeeping. Is this accurate? yes-sometimes they do not have any

What is the best way to bring wine on board (not smuggling but planning to pay the corkage fee). I am not sure when or where you tell them you have bottles that you want to pay for.After you go thru security when boarding there should be a table set up to pay your wine fee

Will we be able to sit out on our balcony while the ship is sailing (weather permitting of course)? yes-some times you get some wind blowing in your face--and it may get chilly I am not sure how fast or windy it gets when the ship is moving (I know, I saved the dumbest for last ~ but I have absolutely no concept of what this is going to feel like!!).

~ Anne

answers above

Big Green

Hi -

You can order room service and they will bring coffee. You want to leave the card hanger menu on the door the night before with the time for your room service delivery.

We usually smuggle on onboard and hide it when not in use.

Can't hellp you here, DW usually just orders wine with dinner.

Depends, I like to have my coffee and cigarette on the balcony. As for the wind, depends on the weather conditions and how fast the ship is moving. It has never been an issue to me unless it is raining.

Hi -

We are sailing on the NCL Spirit. Yay!

I typically can't function in the morning without at least one cup of coffee. Is there a coffeemaker in the room (which I doubt) and if not, can coffee be ordered through room service? Yes and yes. Depending on the coffee maker, you get enough coffee packs for two cups each of ethyl and decaf. May or may not be rot-gut. Several tea bags. Creamer - may just be dry packs... bring back a glass of milk from the cafeteria and keep it in your fridge. Bring single serving packets if you want an extra cup during the day (instant, as you can't know you'd bring the right size pre-measure pack of grounds). Coffee/tea and usually iced tea available all day from the buffet. Do they charge for coffee/tea in general or are they included? Included in the dining rooms/restaurants/room service. Pay at bars and coffee bar. May or may not pay for espresso drinks in MDR/buffet.. I know soda is not, but I can't seen to find out about coffee/tea. Yes - I will tip room service! Good...what's a buck or two to us is a lot for the staff sending money home to family.

I've seen posts that say travel irons are not allowed, but you can request one from housekeeping. Is this accurate? I've brought my own iron (unaware of any prohibition), and can request a real one from your room steward.

What is the best way to bring wine on board (not smuggling but planning to pay the corkage fee). I am not sure when or where you tell them you have bottles that you want to pay for. Lot's of discussion on that subject, and no clear, decisive point everyone agrees on, and it's nowhere to be found in NCL.com. Wrap it well and put it in your baggage (you can't carry-on more than 3oz bottles on the airplane anyway if flying-in directly). If they find it, fess up, say you plan to pay corkage; you may be forced to pay corkage then and there, or referred to pay on-board. Finally pay corkage at table if you have no proof of prior payment. (I'm sure I'll be contradicted on this.) We have no problem paying corkage ..we do at restaurants, and this is no different. I think what they are really trying to limit is the hard liquor, which is both a big revenue item to the line, but also a bad thing when they can't control how much is drunk by those who don't drink responsibly.

Last year on the Norwegian Jade, we didn't bring our own as we were coming directly from 12-days in Egypt, so we bought one of their day-of-embarkation 10-bottle discount packages, which did work out cheaper than buying one bottle at a time each night. You get order tickets for it, which you give to your waiter or bar tender, and they go get it from a central hold area. If you don't finish a bottle, you can take it to your room (I think), or they tag it, give you a receipt and put it in central hold again, to be retrieved to whichever place you want it the next time.

Will we be able to sit out on our balcony while the ship is sailing (weather permitting of course)? I am not sure how fast or windy it gets when the ship is moving (I know, I saved the dumbest for last ~ but I have absolutely no concept of what this is going to feel like!!). It will be windy from the ship movement, up to what, 20 knots?; add to that any natural wind blowing too, and it could get blustery..or not to bad. Careful that things don't blow away, but it can be nice.

~ Anne

I always used to tell my new trainees this: the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. It could turn out to be a major thing you need to know.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Steve

*** Post script *** I see other comments beat mine, and I could be wrong about the coffee in the room...it may vary by ship, type of room, or things changed in the year since I last sailed. But like was posted, you can hang your room service tag on the door before retiring, requesting coffee/tea, and, at least last year, continental breakfast items and juice. Hopefully that still holds. It was good not to have to get all showered, dressed and out the door to get coffee, even it going out to breakfast. Earliest delivery last year on my cruise was 6:00am. Not early enough for one of my painfully early shore excursions.

Hi -

You can order room service and they will bring coffee. You want to leave the card hanger menu on the door the night before with the time for your room service delivery.

We usually smuggle on onboard and hide it when not in use.

Can't hellp you here, DW usually just orders wine with dinner.

Depends, I like to have my coffee and cigarette on the balcony. As for the wind, depends on the weather conditions and how fast the ship is moving. It has never been an issue to me unless it is raining.

After several hotel fires during the early 1970s, the US government followed other governments in passing the Fire Prevention and Safety Act of 1974. One of the provisions of these laws worldwide, not just the USA, required an ironing board for ironing in the hospitality industry, which by the way includes cruise ships.

I assume you didn't smuggle an ironing board aboard with your iron. If so, and you started a fire using your iron without an ironing board, you could be liable for millions... Not the cruise line, you...

A fire safety rule is to use an ironing board with your irons. Please do. Its a common rule worldwide, as common as children not playing with matches...

Use the ship's laundry/pressing service or ask for an ironing board and iron from your room stewards. Don't just smuggle an iron on the ship please....

If you have a coffee maker in your stateroom or not depends on the type of stateroom you have. Penthouse and above has coffee makers (great ones, btw that make a cup of coffee instantly and your butler will leave cream and sugar in your stateroom.). The rest of the ship does not have these, but you can order coffee from room service. You don't tip the room service people at all unless you just want to give the server extra money - but tips are not expected directly from you. Servers are tipped out of your prepaid tips at the end of each cruise. If you get particularily good service from a server, it is perfectly alright to tip them additional money. They really appreciate it. Alternatively, you can make a quick trip to the buffet - called Raffles Court and Terrace and get coffee there anytime you want.

Coffee and tea are included in any dining room except if you go to the special coffee bar, The Cafe, which will charge for whatever they have as indicated on the menu. Usually you can get hot coffee, hot tea, iced tea and sometimes lemonade or punch for free. Juice is included in the morning (get extras if you want to use them for mixes later in the day - just walk into the buffet and take whatever you want - it's all free and you can take dishes, cutlery and glasses from the buffet anywhere you want on the ship including your stateroom. If you take dishes to your statroom, just leave them in the hallway outside of your room for room service to pickup when you are done with them.

Travel iron info. you have is accurate, but I recommend avoiding the use of an iron while on vacation! My husband has sent his shirts to the laundry when we were on the Jade for 2 weeks last year but other than that, we have never ironed anything. Plus NCL ships are mostly casual anyway. They do have "formal" nights but it has been my observation that less than 25% of the passengers dress up on those nights. Men generally wear a suit at most and you could easily get away with just a few nice dresses to wear to dinner.

When you arrive in the cruise terminal they will xray your stuff and that is when to tell them that you want to pay the corkage fee. However, you can buy the wine package onboard instead of bringing your own and get wine for reduced price - which can be a great deal.

BTW, since this is your first cruise, I highly recommend that you call your doctor and get a prescription for Antivert - which prevents seasickness. Begin taking Antivert the morning of your cruise. If you are cruising to Alaska, you might want something stronger - it can be rough the first two days and lots of people get seasick - use Transderm Scop for that - also by prescription - put the scop on early the morning of your cruise so it is in full effect by departure. If the cruise is in the Caribbean or Mediterranean, the water is calm and Antivert is plenty good for these conditions and has no troublesome side effects. Transderm scop can make your vision blurred and your mouth dry (but it's still far better than spending your cruise in bed seasick and unable to eat or enjoy anything.)

Oh and about the balcony - as long as the weather is good enough that you are comfortable, you can sit on the balcony while the ship is moving - we use our balcony like it is a small living room and hang out on the balcony all the time. I would not recommend sitting on the balcony in a lightening storm, for example. Be careful, however about having your balcony door open and opening your cabin door at the same time - this can cause a wind shear and really blow stuff around in your cabin. If you plan to eat breakfast on your balcony, let the server into your room and close the stateroom door after them, then open the balcony door for the server to put the tray out there.

PS: Bring your binoculars to get a closer look at passing ships. Binoculars are also useful in port to see what is going on aboard other ships and on land!

A balcony is really fun during high seas. And at night you can leave the door open so you can hear the sea crashing - up and down, up and down, up and down. Hope you don't get seasick! :D

Oh goodie!! I hope we get a bit of a roll on the TA in October, my first time in a balcony stateroom, I hope my companions won't be complaining. :D

If you have a coffee maker in your stateroom or not depends on the type of stateroom you have. Penthouse and above has coffee makers (great ones, btw that make a cup of coffee instantly and your butler will leave cream and sugar in your stateroom.). The rest of the ship does not have these, but you can order coffee from room service. You don't tip the room service people at all unless you just want to give the server extra money - but tips are not expected directly from you. Servers are tipped out of your prepaid tips at the end of each cruise. If you get particularily good service from a server, it is perfectly alright to tip them additional money. They really appreciate it. Alternatively, you can make a quick trip to the buffet - called Raffles Court and Terrace and get coffee there anytime you want.

Coffee and tea are included in any dining room except if you go to the special coffee bar, The Cafe, which will charge for whatever they have as indicated on the menu. Usually you can get hot coffee, hot tea, iced tea and sometimes lemonade or punch for free. Juice is included in the morning (get extras if you want to use them for mixes later in the day - just walk into the buffet and take whatever you want - it's all free and you can take dishes, cutlery and glasses from the buffet anywhere you want on the ship including your stateroom. If you take dishes to your statroom, just leave them in the hallway outside of your room for room service to pickup when you are done with them.

Travel iron info. you have is accurate, but I recommend avoiding the use of an iron while on vacation! My husband has sent his shirts to the laundry when we were on the Jade for 2 weeks last year but other than that, we have never ironed anything. Plus NCL ships are mostly casual anyway. They do have "formal" nights but it has been my observation that less than 25% of the passengers dress up on those nights. Men generally wear a suit at most and you could easily get away with just a few nice dresses to wear to dinner.

When you arrive in the cruise terminal they will xray your stuff and that is when to tell them that you want to pay the corkage fee. However, you can buy the wine package onboard instead of bringing your own and get wine for reduced price - which can be a great deal.

BTW, since this is your first cruise, I highly recommend that you call your doctor and get a prescription for Antivert - which prevents seasickness. Begin taking Antivert the morning of your cruise. If you are cruising to Alaska, you might want something stronger - it can be rough the first two days and lots of people get seasick - use Transderm Scop for that - also by prescription - put the scop on early the morning of your cruise so it is in full effect by departure. If the cruise is in the Caribbean or Mediterranean, the water is calm and Antivert is plenty good for these conditions and has no troublesome side effects. Transderm scop can make your vision blurred and your mouth dry (but it's still far better than spending your cruise in bed seasick and unable to eat or enjoy anything.)

I disagree with the comment about not tipping the room service people. When you are in a suite room service is delivered by your butler, who you tip at the end of the cruise since he/she is not included in the tip pool. However, when not in a suite I have always tipped the room service deliverer $2/$3 for each delivery. I have read on Cruise Critic that this is the norm.:)

I disagree with the comment about not tipping the room service people. When you are in a suite room service is delivered by your butler, who you tip at the end of the cruise since he/she is not included in the tip pool. However, when not in a suite I have always tipped the room service deliverer $2/$3 for each delivery. I have read on Cruise Critic that this is the norm.:)

ditto!

A balcony is really fun during high seas. And at night you can leave the door open so you can hear the sea crashing - up and down, up and down, up and down. Hope you don't get seasick! :D

There is usually a sign on the balcony doors saying NOT to leave them open. That is because it affects the temperatures in several other cabins.

Mooder is not kidding. Cruising is seriously addictive. Many people even plan their next cruise while ON their current cruise! :)

More like months before I ever set foot on the next cruise - just waiting for that cruise certificate. ;)

I use room service as my alarm clock in the morning...it is a great way to wake up. They are almost always on time, call before hand, and the coffee is good. We order coffee to be delivered, maybe some rolls, then hit the buffet or MDR for a full breakfast later, after we have showered, gotten dressed, etc. I love the MDR cappucinos and expressos, which up to now, have been free. Don't know if there is a charge for them now.

If you have a forward facing balcony, you may come across some serious wind.

As far as an iron is concerned, try to break the addiction and pack clothes that are wrinkle resistant. Roll them. Use wrinkle release spray (DIY: 1 T fabric softener, 1 qt water) or use a travel steamer, they are not prohibited.

Regarding motion sickness, I would not go with a prescription unless you KNOW you suffer from it. The patches mentioned above are strong and cause side effects. I would try something like Bonine, which is non-drowsy, and start on it the day before, making sure it is in your system before you board. Bonine is given out free at the Dr.'s office and front desk if needed, but I would bring my own. Another great product is ginger gum. We were not sure if our daughter would get sick and when she did, the ginger gum relieved symptoms IMMEDIATELY whereas bonine and dramamine took hours to work. If you have ever been motion sick, you know how awful you feel before the meds start working.

I've never brought wine on board (just rum runners) so cannot comment on that.

Some more free advice: get to the port early and enjoy the ship before it gets super crowded. Pack a carry on with your bathing suit and a change of clothes just in case your luggage doesn't make it to your cabin before dinner. Hit the pool and the hot tub before it is overrun. Go to the MDR for lunch instead of the buffet, especially on the first day. If you order drinks, save $$ by not getting the souvenier cup. Enjoy the margarita/martini/mojito/etc. tastings, they are a great value and a lot of fun. Do the Pub Crawl, also loads of fun. Get involved, participate. Dance, stay out late. Take advantage of the future cruise program which, in my opinion, is a great deal.

Most importantly, let your hair down, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy yourself. I love cruising because everybody is always so happy!

Just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Spirit in a balcony stateroom. We did not have a fridge in the room. We brought creamers that don't need to be refrigerated and enjoyed coffee from the little coffee maker on the balcony daily!

I also brought a steamer which I never used. I was on vacation!!!

Have a fantastic time on the Spirit. We just loved her!

If you are a coffee drinker, bring your own travel mug. They hold more and are convenient for bringing coffee to your room or outside.

I agree, ginger works for sea sickness. Check out Mythbusters. They did a segment on it and they found it worked even on Adam's chronic seasickness, and better than medications. There are capsules, teas and health food stores have lovely ginger chewy candies. I admit, though, I bring along some gravol just in case the seas are rough. I took one on my first cruise, second night out because I was worried about the combination of 14 foot waves and my formalwear! (As it was I felt pretty silly being all dressed up and then staggering around the hallways.) :D

For people who don't drink coffee, do they have hot chocolate available instead?

around the buffet area and the blue lagoon, you can (usually) find packet of hot chocolate...right near the hot water for hot tea. we used the packets in our cabin, heat the water in the coffee pot...sit on the balcony and watched the views.

Archived