Insurance for airline miles

karinad

Is there any insurance just to cover the fees to redeposit airline miles in case you have to cancel. The redeposit fees are ridiculous to do it and you all know how hard it is to earn all those miles.

Thanks!

Not sure about various companies like Travel Guard, etc...BUT when i booked a couple FF tickets recently, the airline offered insurance to cover the redeposit fee...for my tickets it was $15 bucks each time..and considering it's about $150 to redeposit the miles I thought it was worth it...especially when there was a CHANCE that i would have to cancel....

In my case...on Delta and Continental, it was an option that came up near the end..right as I was about to pay the fee for the ticket (which on DL was only $5 but on CO was $75 based on my VERY late booking, as in 3 days before, and my MAJOR lack of status...:p)

You can insure the re-deposit fee cost with all the major travel policies, just include it in your total costs.

Not all (for example CSA and Access America won't) and some will only cover that if the travel supplier cancels the trip, not if you have to cancel the trip (Travel Insured, Travelex, and others). For example, this is from Travelex:

"If the Travel Supplier cancels Your Covered Trip, You are covered up to $200 for the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets or up to $200 for the cost charged by the airline to retain Your frequent flyer miles if You had used them to purchase the airline ticket in conjunction with this Covered Trip. You must have covered the entire cost of the Covered Trip including the airfare."

To compare, this is from TravelSafe:

"Trip Cancellation: Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum

Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to cover You for the unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements, including up to $150 for the cost of airline imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join Your Trip when You are prevented from taking Your Trip due to: . . . "

Note: all of these insurers have many private label plans out there with different coverages that are sold through specific channels. The above should be accurate for the plans you'll find on the major comparison sites.

US Air doesn't offer re-deposit fee protection. I checked with some of the travel insurance co.(access, csa, etc.) to cover $150.00pp fee. Can you believe that the cost is about $60.00! I'm going to call, instead of just checking on the internet.

Archived